Close overtakes seem to be increasing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Wow, sparked some debate. You guys seem far more informed and passionate than I do so won't get into massive debates and I respect you have possibly done more research than myself, these are just my opinions from experience.
@Ming the Merciless thats one example, further down used to be two lanes, I was not implying it used to be four everywhere. Plus the huge amount of road works being carried out currently across the city adding to congestion
Personally, in my opinion as much as cars maybe cause the congestion and regardless of what's right or wrong in this respect it will always be the case and I feel that infrastructures should be designed to respect this, not the minority of cyclists and other road users.
Hopefully the culture of short car journeys will change over generations but personally I cant see it.
I'll leave it there but respect everyone's opinions :okay:

Further down has no wands or bollards or other forms of segregation. As you know beyond bridge it’s two lanes at traffic lights. Cycle lane, which is basically paint at that point, has no segregation and won’t have changed that. Beyond that it’s single lane if you go left or straight on. Cycle lane hasn’t changed a thing regards congestion. It is shear volume of cars at certain times, nothing more nothing less.

As to culture of short car journeys. Which make up 95% of all car miles driven. It’ll need to change far quicker than generations. Otherwise the climate is well and truly farked. Hull will be under water within 50 years if it doesn’t change.

Picture about 1/2 mile before bridge from “cycle” lane. Just green paint and cycle images on the road. No segregation, no lane reduction, hardly any expense incurred.

32DB6060-6077-4702-8434-541C8ACC7EA4.jpeg

Last edited:

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
@Ming the Merciless

That's much further down.
Off the top of my head I was referring to Freetown way and Holderness road towards diadem roundabout, bollards and segregation and im sure there are others.

Also noticed them working on Alfred Gelder Street the other week although I appreciate this has always been one lane and dont know if it has been bollarded.
Again I didn't state it was every road and when I talk about segregation I dont just mean bollards, the cycle lanes themselves cause segregation in my opinion and that 'us and them' culture :okay:

FrothNinja

Veteran
To take the thread back to its original premise, I mostly cycle around the Lancs/Yorks border country. I do use a mirror and an on-bike camera, primarily for safety, though I do put footage onto YT for my now incapacitated dad to cycle vicariously.
Looking back over the last weeks footage I would say that 80% of drivers give the recommended space. This is across all road types and all vehicle types. I am sure the mirror has saved my life on multiple occasions.
Not sure if I am being paranoid, but a number of the barstools that do cut me up in new high performance vehicle, seem to have something that blows smoke out the pipe as they pass. I don't know why anyone would install such a device, but I am struggling to believe that many new vehicles have poorly tuned engines.

sasquath

To take the thread back to its original premise, I mostly cycle around the Lancs/Yorks border country. I do use a mirror and an on-bike camera, primarily for safety, though I do put footage onto YT for my now incapacitated dad to cycle vicariously.
Looking back over the last weeks footage I would say that 80% of drivers give the recommended space. This is across all road types and all vehicle types. I am sure the mirror has saved my life on multiple occasions.
Not sure if I am being paranoid, but a number of the barstools that do cut me up in new high performance vehicle, seem to have something that blows smoke out the pipe as they pass. I don't know why anyone would install such a device, but I am struggling to believe that many new vehicles have poorly tuned engines.
Many performance cars are crippled by emmissions regulations and are subjected to remapping of the engine to add acceleration resulting in smoke under hard acceleration in low gear.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Many performance cars are crippled by emmissions regulations and are subjected to remapping of the engine to add acceleration resulting in smoke under hard acceleration in low gear.
Ta, I am being paranoid then. Wish they would hold off planting their foot while I am gasping my way up a 18%er, don't suppose they even stop to consider the effects on our lungs. Had a few CO2 efforts today...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Again I didn't state it was every road and when I talk about segregation I dont just mean bollards, the cycle lanes themselves cause segregation in my opinion and that 'us and them' culture :okay:
"Us and them culture" started when special roads were built only for fast motorists and walkers and riders banned. It reached crisis point when motorist numbers became so dominant, people so rare and policing collapsed. Now we need to start restricting through motorists to the middle of through roads and stop them driving on cycleways and pavements with sustainable permanent engineering measures because we can't/won't hire enough traffic police to make bare roads feel safe.

I am sure the mirror has saved my life on multiple occasions.
Probably your perception is wrong because roads are not littered with dead cyclists who eschew geegaws.
"Rolling coal" modifications will be to blame for some, either simply crippling the filters (improving their mpg but worsening emissions) or even reprogramming the engine control unit to dump fuel when a dashboard menu button is pressed, which is illegal, but who's policing it?

Some will be unroadworthy vehicles from lack of maintenance because some motorists don't spend until it fails a test, which is illegal, but who's policing it?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
This one looks highly idiotic, & scary as hell

And....... of course, it's a BuM-W :cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/one-of-the-worst-examples-of-overtaking/vi-AAQ5YXV?ocid=msedgntp

View: https://twitter.com/ASPRoadSafety/status/1453991324588429312

Driver received the maximum 9 points
Fine: £660 Surcharge: £66 Costs: £110

This is how we roll in Avon & Somerset.

boydj

Legendary Member
Wow, sparked some debate. You guys seem far more informed and passionate than I do so won't get into massive debates and I respect you have possibly done more research than myself, these are just my opinions from experience.
@Ming the Merciless thats one example, further down used to be two lanes, I was not implying it used to be four everywhere. Plus the huge amount of road works being carried out currently across the city adding to congestion
Personally, in my opinion as much as cars maybe cause the congestion and regardless of what's right or wrong in this respect it will always be the case and I feel that infrastructures should be designed to respect this, not the minority of cyclists and other road users.
Hopefully the culture of short car journeys will change over generations but personally I cant see it.
I'll leave it there but respect everyone's opinions :okay:

'Build it and they will come' - put in decent cycle facilities and people will use them. It's been shown time and time again that there is a will to find a more sustainable way to travel if only the facilities were in place to enable it. The chancellor got it wrong in not doing more to encourage active travel and public transport use. Petrol is far too cheap, traffic is often hostile. We need to make life more difficult for drivers, which will make life better on the roads for everybody.

D

Deleted member 121159

I'm increasingly pessimistic about the idea of peacefully sharing the road with cars. Most of the time drivers can harass and bully cyclists with impunity. And they will do that just because they can. I don't normally steal from shops, but if I knew for sure that I wouldn't be punished for it...then why not? To be sure there are more considerate drivers than aggressive ones. But I tend to think that complete separate of cycle lanes from roads is the only solution.

Biker man

As mentioned in other threads it's not easy, but you have as much right on the road as cars. Hold your place in the road untIil there is space for an overtake. Unconscious intimidation or not, hold your nerve they won't run you down.
I not so sure about that, you don't know what they have taken it seems like you are on a battlefield on times .

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It has never felt like this to me. I have had some dodgy moments over the years but no more than on a motorcycle or in a car.
I've never encountered the situations and attitudes described by others. Yes, the ocassional close pass, very, very ocassionaly a punishment* pass and drivers who don't see/care about cyclists but nothing close to a battlefield or other phrases people use.

If anything I would say driver attitudes towards cyclists are improving.

I have observed the two people I know who run cameras seem to encounter more bad/aggressive drivers than any other riders I know.

* my experience is a punishment pass is far more likely when I'm driving than cycling. Only on Saturday night on the A57 Manchester heading to the M602 I was tailgated from the Mancunian Way to the M602. As I joined the M602 a very slow vehicle in front made me slow down. I pulled in to the nearside lane at the first opportunity only for the tailgater to scream past accelerating hard, then pull across in front of me braking hard. This is common behaviour and at 65-70mph somewhat dangerous!

Last edited:
Top Bottom