Close pass and Operation Snap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Denis99

Über Member
In the interests of trying to be proactive and recording video footage of close passes, I have reported drivers to the police via the Operation Snap website.

However, does anyone know how effective this is?

It appears that all you get is a confirmation (automatic) email confirming the report and video evidence.

Will it take a serious incident of an actual accident to make a difference? By this time it will be too late.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Judging by the footage you get on YouTube our undermanned police force probably have thousands of them to wade through.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Warwickshire police advise the following:

Due to the large volume of submissions received each week, we are unable to update each submitter regarding the outcome of their allegation. However, all submissions are dealt with pro-actively to help reduce risk taking and poor driving on our counties roads. Any footage submitted through the portal can be used by us to help educate other road users and to advise on case results.

https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/operationsnap

Slick

Guru
Warwickshire police advise the following:

Due to the large volume of submissions received each week, we are unable to update each submitter regarding the outcome of their allegation. However, all submissions are dealt with pro-actively to help reduce risk taking and poor driving on our counties roads. Any footage submitted through the portal can be used by us to help educate other road users and to advise on case results.

https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/operationsnap
Pardon the pun, but that sounds like a huge cop-out to me.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Pardon the pun, but that sounds like a huge cop-out to me.
You mean they are not going to waste time patting all the submitters on the back?

You have reported it. Let them deal with it. If you believe they are not going to take any action, dont submit video clips.

Slick

Guru
You mean they are not going to waste time patting all the submitters on the back?

You have reported it. Let them deal with it. If you believe they are not going to take any action, dont submit video clips.
Pi55 poor attitude in my opinion. If you submitted one clip but wasn't suitable to be used as evidence because it was mounted wrong and didn't clearly show either the bike or rider in relation to the moron in the motor, then it would be great to get some feedback to allow you to position your camera so you were. Feedback and educate all involved would be my preferred tactic.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Pi55 poor attitude in my opinion. If you submitted one clip but wasn't suitable to be used as evidence because it was mounted wrong and didn't clearly show either the bike or rider in relation to the moron in the motor, then it would be great to get some feedback to allow you to position your camera so you were. Feedback and educate all involved would be my preferred tactic.

What you are talking about should be obvious to anyone with some common sense.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It obviously isn't though. Loads of great examples on YouTube available to anyone who cares to have a look.
On the police website there should be a guide as to what the clips should contain. You really dont expect the police to contact people to give them filming instructions do you.

You are right. Lots of well filmed close passes on Youtube. I dont know if they have been reported. Whats your point?

Slick

Guru
On the police website there should be a guide as to what the clips should contain. You really dont expect the police to contact people to give them filming instructions do you.

You are right. Lots of well filmed close passes on Youtube. I dont know if they have been reported. Whats your point?
My point is that the police wouldn't prosecute on the strength of some of the examples given, despite it being an obvious offence to anyone with any common sense.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The idea is not to prosecute all offenders. It is to educate them about the manner of their driving.

If you send a decent clip in and they think someone needs to be made aware of their manner of driving. Then that is up to the police to do that.

If the police then have to inform all the people who have sent clips in of the outcome. That is doubling their work load.

So report it and leave it. The outcome really means nothing to you. You have done your bit.

classic33

Leg End Member
The idea is not to prosecute all offenders. It is to educate them about the manner of their driving.

If you send a decent clip in and they think someone needs to be made aware of their manner of driving. Then that is up to the police to do that.

If the police then have to inform all the people who have sent clips in of the outcome. That is doubling their work load.

So report it and leave it. The outcome really means nothing to you. You have done your bit.
Replace the bike with a car, would they still work the same way?

If I'm involved in an incident on the road, I'd like a reference/log number that could be used at a later date. Continuity of evidence is the police term for it.

I'd also like to know that the police were treating it seriously. Not jost treating cyclists as "something on the roads", that every other road user has to put up with.

Top Bottom