Close passes - advice and a rant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a pretty serious accident on my bicycle in 2014 caused by a driver pulling out in front of me, I had to have a year off work and still have to live with the long term consequences of it.
When I got back on my bike, I was angry at everyone if they passed close to me, jumped a red light, where speeding etc. It spoilt my enjoyment of cycling. My solicitor got in contact with the insurance company of the driver that caused the accident and sorted out a course of CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)
Talking through my negative thought processes with someone helped me a lot. It was ok to feel these thoughts, you are being put in a dangerous position, but I learnt to cope with the dangers and not get so angry about it. It was more that the actions of others was making me angry that I disliked, rather than the close passes, etc.
As you have stated, 99% of drivers are fine. If you do everything in your power to ride safely, do not let the very small minority put you off riding.
I used to use a camera and reported quite a few drivers and all but one were acted on in some way by the police. I hope that made them better drivers, or at least made them think about their actions. I no longer commute on my bicycle and do not use my camera on social rides, but it did give me comfort to know that if somone did do something silly, it was being recorded. If I only I had it fitted to my motorbike when a taxi driver jumped a red light and knocked me off earlier this year!

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I had a pretty serious accident on my bicycle in 2014 caused by a driver pulling out in front of me, I had to have a year off work and still have to live with the long term consequences of it.
When I got back on my bike, I was angry at everyone if they passed close to me, jumped a red light, where speeding etc. It spoilt my enjoyment of cycling. My solicitor got in contact with the insurance company of the driver that caused the accident and sorted out a course of CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)
Talking through my negative thought processes with someone helped me a lot. It was ok to feel these thoughts, you are being put in a dangerous position, but I learnt to cope with the dangers and not get so angry about it. It was more that the actions of others was making me angry that I disliked, rather than the close passes, etc.
As you have stated, 99% of drivers are fine. If you do everything in your power to ride safely, do not let the very small minority put you off riding.
I used to use a camera and reported quite a few drivers and all but one were acted on in some way by the police. I hope that made them better drivers, or at least made them think about their actions. I no longer commute on my bicycle and do not use my camera on social rides, but it did give me comfort to know that if somone did do something silly, it was being recorded. If I only I had it fitted to my motorbike when a taxi driver jumped a red light and knocked me off earlier this year!
Yikes, I hope you are okay :sad:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Does not help in your case but some police are aware.
Just south of Inverness the other day a police cyclist was out and I think 15 drivers were stopped for doing close passes. None were reported for prosecution but they were given some advice and a considerable delay on their journey to make them more aware in future. I hope their details were kept in case they get caught a second time for more stringent action.

I believe that most people that drive too close, do not know they are doing it and would be horrified to know they are scaring people as they pass them.
Of course, there is a very, very small minority that are just a little challenged in the mental department and find it funny to do it. and these are the people that need education and/or points on their licence.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I believe that most people that drive too close, do not know they are doing it and would be horrified to know they are scaring people as they pass them.
Of course, there is a very, very small minority that are just a little challenged in the mental department and find it funny to do it. and these are the people that need education and/or points on their licence.
Definitely agree with you on this one! Out on a club run today tho and we were shouted at by a driving instructor on a lesson for riding two abreast on a wide road. What hope is there when even professionals can't get it right? One of the guys out is a driving instructor and was fuming 😬

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Just to add to my last post on this. Grampian police pulled over 20 drivers and some got fixed penalty fines and some will receive a court summons.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Definitely agree with you on this one! Out on a club run today tho and we were shouted at by a driving instructor on a lesson for riding two abreast on a wide road. What hope is there when even professionals can't get it right? One of the guys out is a driving instructor and was fuming 😬
I had that once, I left a forthright and informative message on their Google reviews with links to the appropriate Highway Code sections.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I had that once, I left a forthright and informative message on their Google reviews with links to the appropriate Highway Code sections.
Reporting to the regulators and trade association is also good. I think that's DVSA and ADI, but it might not be. There are enough problems around driver education and assessment without having dangerously incompetent instructors working.

Drago

Legendary Member
Get all your mates to ring up and book lessons with him using fake names and addresses.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

OK, posting in here because I didn't really want to start a similar thread, but has anyone had any luck with reporting close passes without a camera? Some tool flew past me in a jag today (why they always jags/beemers?!) way too close and I was prepared to let it go, when I saw him pulled up at a shop a bit further down. Desperately wanted to go and have a chat but didn't want the aggro if it got heated so I took down the reg and stared at him for a bit. He didn't seem to notice me so I imagine he didn't even realise he'd close passed (that or he's just ignorant). Anyway, putting out a message to say if I report this, will the police need footage, or am I gonna have to let this slide? @Arjimlad tagging you because I know you're good with this kind of thing 😊

OK, posting in here because I didn't really want to start a similar thread, but has anyone had any luck with reporting close passes without a camera? Some tool flew past me in a jag today (why they always jags/beemers?!) way too close and I was prepared to let it go, when I saw him pulled up at a shop a bit further down. Desperately wanted to go and have a chat but didn't want the aggro if it got heated so I took down the reg and stared at him for a bit. He didn't seem to notice me so I imagine he didn't even realise he'd close passed (that or he's just ignorant). Anyway, putting out a message to say if I report this, will the police need footage, or am I gonna have to let this slide? @Arjimlad tagging you because I know you're good with this kind of thing 😊
It is very rare for them to act on anything without video evidence, but I have heard of them going and having a word in the drivers ear when more than one person in a group has reported someone.
I would report it, you only have a bit of time to lose and maybe they will just have a quiet word in his ear.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Desperately wanted to go and have a chat but didn't want the aggro if it got heated so I took down the reg and stared at him for a bit.

That's always down to personal choice. I'd have been tempted to point out, quietly and politely, that cyclists need to be left a bit more room. But I wasn't there, so I bow to your judgement at the time.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

It is very rare for them to act on anything without video evidence, but I have heard of them going and having a word in the drivers ear when more than one person in a group has reported someone.
I would report it, you only have a bit of time to lose and maybe they will just have a quiet word in his ear.
I guess at least if I log it there might be a chance of a letter of advice, or if he has form for doing this he might not be so lucky next time if the cyclist has a cam 🤷‍♂️ I just worry about being seen as wasting the time of the police but I imagine some people are prolific reporters and don't actually care about submitting loads.

Top Bottom