Close Passes - When would you report?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Report it to the police.
Had the van some markings, which when traced showed more than just a "one man" company, I would report it to them also.
If it scares or shocks me, it's too close.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I cycle around 80 - 100 miles a week, 4 to 5 days a week.

I also have full insurance and a cyclecam that records on a loop on the handlebars. The intention for this is that if I have an accident that is serious enough for me to be knocked unconscious, or an accident with no other eyewitnesses it will provide the evidence I need. Generally speaking, I have little to no interest in reporting every single close pass or infraction. Life is too short and I am sure a lot of you here have daily close passes that really don't come up to much.

However today a van cut in near a traffic calming bollard so close it scared the hell out of me, totally unnecessary as well since the road opens up literally round the next corner for overtaking as much as one likes...

Considering reporting it, not sure how much good it will do or what outcome I expect, I guess even a letter to the driver to focus their mind a bit would be good?

What do you normally do?

If it scared you, it is too close.

Report it.

It does depend on individual Police Forces, I would suspect, but, in "my" area (Northumbria Police), they do follow up submitted footage. Sometimes a caution, sometimes a fixed penalty with penalty points.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Unfortunately since hants police did nothing about a driver heading straight at me saying they could see nothing wrong with his driving!! I’ve not bothered reporting anything since.
According to Twitter the hants police snap portal has been down for months and they’re not interested in sorting it.
I have cameras, my family have instructions to get them first in the event of an accident.
Have you written to your police commissioner and MP? It can be effective.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I have cameras, my family have instructions to get them first in the event of an accident.
Same goes, also have them in my car so I can show my side of the story. Just set one up on the motorbike too. I have used them to review my own conduct on the road as well.

DRHysted

Guru
Same goes, also have them in my car so I can show my side of the story. Just set one up on the motorbike too. I have used them to review my own conduct on the road as well.
I’ve got a dashcam in the car as well, causes you to consider your own driving as well as that is also being recorded.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't have a camera but on the couple of occasions when I really thought I was going to die in London (Red Mist and adrenaline-fuelled) , I chased down the coach and lorry and let rip verbally, and not politely. The Welsh coach driver looked shocked, as did his passengers. The driver of the concrete truck gave as good as he got. I wrote to both companies. They both said the incidents didn't happen. We all got on with our lives. No point in festering about that stuff.

pjd57

Veteran
Out in Glasgow today.
On a main road in the east end, I had that feeling that a car was close to my back wheel.
Sure enough it overtakes less than 1 metre away from me.
Car turned off the main road at the next corner and the passenger got out to open gates to let the car through.
I decided to have a quick word with the passenger as the car had moved .
The passenger didn't consider that the pass had been dangerous although he agreed it was closer than 1.5 metres.
I mentioned highway code recommendations on close passing.
The reply shocked me " the highway code isn't the law "

I gave up as the guy was obviously not interested and was in a hurry to get inside and eat the cakes he was carrying.

It was a police car that carried out the close pass, and a police officer who said it wasn't dangerous.

Out in Glasgow today.
On a main road in the east end, I had that feeling that a car was close to my back wheel.
Car turned off the main road at the next corner and the passenger got out to open gates to let the car through.
The passenger didn't consider that the pass had been dangerous although he agreed it was closer than 1.5 metres.

I gave up as the guy was obviously not interested and was in a hurry to get inside and eat the cakes he was carrying.

It was a police car that carried out the close pass, and a police officer who said it wasn't dangerous.
It isn't law, though, merely advisory. But if you cause an accident by ignoring the code, that goes against you.

Blank van unfortunately, no markings.

Nearly all the ones I report are vans. Van drivers tend not to be the brightest tickets - always late, poorly educated, flavour of the month with lawmakers as self employed, they work without any employment protection.

Quite depressing in the West Midlands when you out at 7am on Sunday morning and van after van comes hurtling past.

Drago

Legendary Member
Out in Glasgow today.

Sadly, hes right. The Highway Code is a code of practice which incorporates some points of law.

Youd have been better off pointing out that the 1.5/2M guidance is now ised as a prosecution yardstick for careless driving charges by the CPS.

And then sent your camera footage to the Bow Street Runners to reinforce the point.

Nearly all the ones I report are vans. Van drivers tend not to be the brightest tickets - always late, poorly educated, flavour of the month with lawmakers as self employed, they work without any employment protection.
Not only that, if its a liveried Amazon van the driver is having the cost of the van deducted from his wages. Imagine the outcry if Eddie Stobart or Tuffnells did that to their drivers.

And if they have a day off sick they not only dont get paid, but they have the cost of the replacement driver deducted from their wages.

So its no wonder they either don't give a sheet, or else have a serious grudge with everyone they encounter.

Last edited:
Sadly, hes right. The Highway Code is a code of practice which incorporates some points of law.

Youd have been better off pointing out that the 1.5/2M guidance is now ised as a prosecution yardstick for careless driving charges by the CPS.

And then sent your camera footage to the Bow Street Runners to reinforce the point.

Not only that, if its a liveried Amazon van the driver is having the cost of the van deducted from his wages. Imagine the outcry if Eddie Stobart or Tuffnells did that to their drivers.

And if they have a day off sick they not only dont get paid, but they have the cost of the replacement driver deducted from their wages.

So its no wonder they either don't give a sheet, or else have a serious grudge with everyone they encounter.

Didn't realise that about Amazon. That's disgraceful - I'm almost in sympathy for white van man !

Top Bottom