Close Shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
Firstly Common assault....

ii) An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force

Secondly I think dangerous driving is covered although he would probably get a way with a Section 59 warning Causing harrasment.

Dangerous driving
Section 2 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as amended by Road Traffic act 1991) provides that:
“A person who drives a mechanically propelled vehicle dangerously on a road or other public place is guilty of an offence.”
Dangerous Driving is defined in section 2A Road Traffic Act 1988 as:
the way he drives falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver, and it would be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous.

So I would suggest reporting to the police and adding those two bits of legislation too your letter.

Matty

Funny how, if he was in such a hurry so as not to get stuck behind you, he then pulled over, stopped and stood next to his van?!

Classic tosser behaviour, isn't it a shame that you musn't behave as you want to. Think you handled it very well. Ignore and leave.

In 7K miles of commuting I've had two of these. Neither time I've stopped. Last time I emailed the local plod and asked what was the 'correct' thing to do in such instances. If it is ongoing then dial 999 was the response. If it is after the event you need an independent witness and the necessary details, reg, time, place etc.

The suggestion about staying where you were and phoning the police was a good idea, but difficult to think of such things just after having your foot run over!

Matt

p.s. Most importantly, don't let it put you off cycling. Such extreme twats are quite few and far between.

Top Bottom