Close Shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In these situations, despite provocation and the sometimes great temptation, avoiding direct conflict is the way to go for your own safety. You're always going to be vulnerable to nutters whilst you're astride your bike.

Just remember that the vast majority of people are not like that muppet.

Don't let the buggers grind you down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh well, let the little fool know by writing to the company, with a link to the video..... would have been funny if you had been 'safely' able to tell the guy to his face "oh you offering a 'chat'...all on video my son...."

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Forget everything else, his first response to inconvenience was to use a vehicle as a battering ram. Doesn't matter how slow or how polite he may have been.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

Im starting to draft up a letter to the company director - but could someone help me with what sections of the highway code may reference the arguments about his driving, ie creating an extra lane at the roundabout by straddling two lanes etc?

Thanks
Mike

Cab

He basically assaulted you with his vehicle. Nothing else matters here; your road position, your response, all the rest (although reasonable in themselves) are all irrelevant to the fact that he intentionally battered you with his vehicle for no justifiable reason.

wafflycat

Cab said:
He basically assaulted you with his vehicle. Nothing else matters here; your road position, your response, all the rest (although reasonable in themselves) are all irrelevant to the fact that he intentionally battered you with his vehicle for no justifiable reason.

+1

Well, he was totally in the wrong so lets get that straight.

But after giving him a bit verbal, you lost your bottle when he pulled over.
Perfect chance to debate your case. Personally if my arse feel out like that i'd be ashamed to post it anywhere.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

addictfreak said:
Well, he was totally in the wrong so lets get that straight.

But after giving him a bit verbal, you lost your bottle when he pulled over.
Perfect chance to debate your case. Personally if my arse feel out like that i'd be ashamed to post it anywhere.

I didnt loose my bottle when he pulled over, as I didnt have one in the first place - ie wasnt my intention to have a fight / debate / chat or anything, I just wanted to get from A to B.

wafflycat

IMO you did exactly the right thing by not getting into a 'discussion' with him. He'd just attacked you with his motor, he was thinking he was in the right (tosser that he is) and such a situation can so easily lead to more violence. You did the right thing by avoiding that particular confrontation.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

wafflycat said:
IMO you did exactly the right thing by not getting into a 'discussion' with him. He'd just attacked you with his motor, he was thinking he was in the right (tosser that he is) and such a situation can so easily lead to more violence. You did the right thing by avoiding that particular confrontation.

I did feel that it had a violent potential, and as a largeish bloke myself I think he may have thought I was game for a fight too. This wasnt the case as I would have liked nothing better than having a chat with him to discuss what why's and what's of road positioning, but his behavior leading up to the verbal exchange led me to believe any outcome was not going to go in my favor.

fossyant said:
And you'd only end up in bother squaring up to him - obviously spoiling for a fight. Hit him hard and tell the employer.....

Ive got a letter drafted up now, but Ill probably have another look at it tomorrow as my mother was taken into hospital today so I have other things on my mind :biggrin:. Im defiantly going to send something off though as I fear for the next cyclist / pedestrian or even motorist he doesnt "agree" with.

Its not about squaring up or fighting anyone.

First thing, I would have tapped the bonnet as you did. There would be no swearing, only pointing out that I was perfectly in the right to ride in the position I had taken.

Once he pulled up, I would have stopped and spoken to him calmly and again pointed out that my positioning was ok and even if it had not been that it did not give him the right to try to force me off the road.

If he had wanted to get physical then thats his problem, its on camera.

I have been in similar situations on more than one occasion. Its about standing your ground and putting your point across. Now he probably thinks he was right and that you ran away because you knew you were wrong. If you were from down south I could have understood;):biggrin:

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

addictfreak said:
Its not about squaring up or fighting anyone.

First thing, I would have tapped the bonnet as you did. There would be no swearing, only pointing out that I was perfectly in the right to ride in the position I had taken.

Once he pulled up, I would have stopped and spoken to him calmly and again pointed out that my positioning was ok and even if it had not been that it did not give him the right to try to force me off the road.

If he had wanted to get physical then thats his problem, its on camera.

I have been in similar situations on more than one occasion. Its about standing your ground and putting your point across. Now he probably thinks he was right and that you ran away because you knew you were wrong. If you were from down south I could have understood;):biggrin:

I totally agree, I need to cool down and shouldnt have swore. At the time I felt that it was going nowhere as he clearly didnt want to hear my side, and I was shaken from what he did. Yes, in future incidents (I hope to God there isnt any more) I will try to remain calm and controlled, but then again its easy to say that when Im sat at a computer. I admire your restraint in similar situations and its defiantly something I strive to achieve, as the swearing etc gets no-one anywhere.

Although I feel that even if I had a calm response to him, his offer to pull over was perceived by me as an invitation to have a physical altercation rather than a true gentlemanly chat, hence my refusal and leaving the scene.

By the way, northerner since birth :smile: But I think he was from down 'souf so I'm going to have to find some way of bringing the scores back up into the north's favor :tongue:

mike.pembo said:
I totally agree, I need to cool down and shouldnt have swore. At the time I felt that it was going nowhere as he clearly didnt want to hear my side, and I was shaken from what he did. Yes, in future incidents (I hope to God there isnt any more) I will try to remain calm and controlled, but then again its easy to say that when Im sat at a computer. I admire your restraint in similar situations and its defiantly something I strive to achieve, as the swearing etc gets no-one anywhere.

Although I feel that even if I had a calm response to him, his offer to pull over was perceived by me as an invitation to have a physical altercation rather than a true gentlemanly chat, hence my refusal and leaving the scene.

By the way, northerner since birth :biggrin: But I think he was from down 'souf so I'm going to have to find some way of bringing the scores back up into the north's favor :smile:

Well we all react differently in these type of situations. I often feel like giving a good verbal broadside, but IMHO it can make an ugly situation worse.
I remember a guy who almost hit me on a roundabout (my right of way). He was furious! Started shouting and swearing at me! Anyway I caught up to him at a set of lights, and simply said 'did i swear at you!'
He was immediately very sheepish and apologised, funny thing was he said he had got a shock. He did! (bllody hell).
Anyway hopefully these little incidents dont lead to blows, but I would certainly defended myself if required.
Hope you get somewhere with your compliant

Top Bottom