Closest overtake ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
mr_hippo said:
If someone is forced to break then it is an emergency.
Interesting logic...

I am riding my bike down a cul-de-sac and there's a wall at the end. I can see it and I know there's no way around it. I am therefore forced to brake (I really don't want to be forced to break...) or I will hit it.

No emergency.

Hadn't planned on braking, but the situation arose whereby it would be imprudent not to, unless I fancied eating the wall.

You really are trying to make something of that clip.

Was it you, per chance... and now you're trying to wriggle out of the apalling display of sh*t driving? :biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
mr_hippo said:
If someone is forced to break then it is an emergency.

The driver should not have pulled out, it was a best driving without due care and attention, why should this be regarded as the cyclists fault???

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Sh4rkyBloke, thank you for pointing out my typo.
"I am riding my bike down a cul-de-sac and there's a wall at the end. I can see it and I know there's no way around it. I am therefore forced to brake". Are you just trying to be silly or is it not an act?
Was it bad driving? Yes, it was. Could the cyclist have done better? Yes.
BentMikey said:
I suspect our definition of an emergency is closer to a panic stop, whilst mr_hippo's is much broader and includes braking to avoid another's mistakes, even quite gently.
Pray tell me, what is the difference between an emergency stop and a panic stop?
Hairy Jock said:
The driver should have pulled out, it was a best driving without due care and attention, why should this be regarded as the cyclists fault???
Have you missed a word out in that sentence? Have I said that it was the cyclist's fault for the driver's error?

As for the overtaking video, yes, the car was close; is it worth making such a song and dance about it? Take a couple of chill pills and get over it!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
mr_hippo said:
is it worth making such a song and dance about it? Take a couple of chill pills and get over it!

??????

Yes it is, I still feel every muscle tense watching that overtake. There's quite a few where you can see how close it was, not many videos where you can 'feel' it!

if Mags doesn't make "such a song and dance about it", it never happened. Its an incident where no one learns anything.

We can talk about retribution and lets 'get' the driver. However, having the coppers turn up on the door may be the thing that gets the driver to reconsider their driving and keep them out of prison for causing death by dangerous driving in the future.

I'd rather the coppers had a word before he drives anywhere near me!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
The 'close' overtake - nothing to make a song and dance about, is it?
The Peugeot' incident - yes, the driver was wrong for pulling out but if the cyclist was aware of what may happen, it could have been avoided easily.
Do I post 'incidents' on here whinging and wailing? Do you want me to post on here a compilation of 'incidents' from just one of my rides?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
mr_hippo said:
Do you want me to post on here a compilation of 'incidents' from just one of my rides?
No, I'd rather you just be quiet unless you have some point to make sensibly.

"The cyclist should have assumed/known/thought that the car driver would do that and so should have done better" (paraphrasing what you've said) - utter bollox. The car driver should have been concentrating, the cyclist shouldn't have had to do anything other than enjoy the space on the road that he's entitled to without having to avoid any prat of a driver pulling out on him.

The driver clearly slows to a halt at the junction. At that point I'd be thinking, "great, he/she's seen me, spidey-sense can stand down"... but no, the idiot then waits for a second or two and then pulls out without a hint of braking or attempting to avoid the cyclist.

I still suspect it must have been you in the car, you seem hell bent on defending them.

Blimey, that was close. I don't understand why you didn't go to the front of the queue though - it's one of the places a competent cyclist is faster than a car - and (granted that you know the road much better than I do) I'm not convinced of the need for such a dominant primary position there either. There's no excuse for overtaking like that though, best of luck with getting them to at least have a word with this idiot.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
mr_hippo said:
The 'close' overtake - nothing to make a song and dance about, is it?
The Peugeot' incident - yes, the driver was wrong for pulling out but if the cyclist was aware of what may happen, it could have been avoided easily.
Do I post 'incidents' on here whinging and wailing? Do you want me to post on here a compilation of 'incidents' from just one of my rides?

Mr H.

We all need safer roads. If no song and dance were made everything stays the same. If it wasn't for people making a 'song and dance' we wouldn't have the drink drive laws we have today.

The overtake was dangerous, potentially fatal with a wobble or a crosswind.

I notice you're down as 'Bangkok', how long since you cycled regularly in the UK?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Rhythm Thief said:
I don't understand why you didn't go to the front of the queue though

Because it's good practice to stay behind the first or second car in the queue - it usually leads to less stress and fewer poor overtakes than if you go to the front of the queue. Recommended in Cyclecraft.

magnatom said:
The magic word is undertake. I did not undertake, I filtered. The traffic was completely stationary. This motorbike article references a court case with regards to filtering which the proof I think you required to show that filtering is legal.

http://www.motorbikestoday.com/news/Articles/filtering_law.htm

Concede DG? :rolleyes:

I wasn't in dispute with you. I wanted to know what the law said rather than what you said. The information you provided will help in my forthcoming court case against a left hooker who is pleading not guilty despite turning left into my path without indicating and presumably not chcking his mirrors.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No-one's whinging and wailing, mr_hippo, but it seems to me you don't like something about magnatom's videos or have an axe to grind.

I think it's good to show roadcraft and behaviour on youtube like this. These topics are great for us all to learn from, and to question our own way of riding as well as others' use of the roads.

gambatte said:
If no song and dance were made everything stays the same.

At least nowadays video evidence puts the 'facts' on record. Things that would have been the experience of just one individual a few years back can be shared, debated and conclusions drawn. I'd have been surprised if everyone seeing the video had come to the same conclusion.

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Sh4rkyBloke said:
No, I'd rather you just be quiet unless you have some point to make sensibly.
I am making a sensible point - please take your blinkers off!
"The cyclist should have assumed/known/thought that the car driver would do that and so should have done better" (paraphrasing what you've said) - utter bollox. The car driver should have been concentrating, the cyclist shouldn't have had to do anything other than enjoy the space on the road that he's entitled to without having to avoid any prat of a driver pulling out on him.
Now you are talking a load of bollox! So you just cycle along the road without a care in the world? Are you not aware of your surroundings, conditions or other road users?
The driver clearly slows to a halt at the junction. At that point I'd be thinking, "great, he/she's seen me, spidey-sense can stand down"... but no, the idiot then waits for a second or two and then pulls out without a hint of braking or attempting to avoid the cyclist.

I still suspect it must have been you in the car, you seem hell bent on defending them. There you go again - being stupid, am I defending the motorist?
gambatte said:
Mr H.
I notice you're down as 'Bangkok', how long since you cycled regularly in the UK?
Not for a few years but feel free to come to Bangkok and sample the traffic over here - you may not survive!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
mr_hippo said:
Not for a few years but feel free to come to Bangkok and sample the traffic over here - you may not survive!

My suspicion, you're now used to a different road situation and road legislation. No judgement as to 'better' or 'worse', just different.

Top Bottom