Closest overtake ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This happened this morning.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Bjz9EIbBsx0

I am in a full primary position traveling at close to 20mph (and still accelerating) when this chap overtakes. He was closer than I have ever had and I felt the need to lift my arm out of the way to avoid my elbow making contact!

Luckily I am a fairly experienced cyclist as I had to swerve the bike towards the left and stay balanced with the one hand (I felt it was better to move the hand out of the way than to be hit and possibly knocked off course, or off the bike!). I shudder to think what might have happened if I had wobbled at this point!;)

I am seriously considering reporting this. He didn't give me 3 inches, never mind 3 feet!!:evil:

Warning: Unsurprisingly there is some swearing in this clip!!

yenrod

T85 Tcs...

Maz

Guru
cant see utube at work, but glad you're ok.
will you be reporting the incident?
are the cops normally interested or not when you report incidents?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Maz said:
cant see utube at work, but glad you're ok.
will you be reporting the incident?
are the cops normally interested or not when you report incidents?

I might report this one. It was WAY too close. It almost felt like the guy was intentionally passing close because I dared filter in front of him.

Cab

I'll be curious to know what happens if you do report it.

Its emerging here on Cycle Chat that the response of police forces to cases of dangerous driving like that are very variable. I'd certainly get nowhere taking that to Cambridgeshire Constabulary, but I wish you luck with your local plod!

OP
OP
M

magnatom

I forgot to ask: Can anyone spot what is wrong with the Mercedes in front of me?

chthonic

Über Member
That still makes my heart leap

every time I watch it.

I think maybe that guy knew he wanted to turn left ahead and thus "had" to get past you first at all costs. He didn't cut in a brake in the way they do when they are trying to punish you for being in primary.

Well done for not slapping it as it went past. I find myself doing it as a reflex and then having to deal with the huge argument that always ensues. Far better to film the number plate.

As for the Merc in front? His brake lights seem to be permanently on, no?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

chthonic said:
every time I watch it.

I think maybe that guy knew he wanted to turn left ahead and thus "had" to get past you first at all costs. He didn't cut in a brake in the way they do when they are trying to punish you for being in primary.

Well done for not slapping it as it went past. I find myself doing it as a reflex and then having to deal with the huge argument that always ensues. Far better to film the number plate.

As for the Merc in front? His brake lights seem to be permanently on, no?

Even if I wanted to, I don't think I would have had time to slap the car. (I wouldn't want to by the way!)

You are correct about the merc. I caught up with her later on and mentioned it. She didn't seem that bothered :evil:

chthonic

Über Member
magnatom said:
You are correct about the merc. I caught up with her later on and mentioned it. She didn't seem that bothered :biggrin:

If you can't see the problem, then why bother, eh? If there was a dashboard light that acted as a brake light tell-tale, you can probably guarantee it would be down the garage being fixed right now.

BTW, last time someone passed that close to me, he told me that I should have got out of the way because "he had priority". I left him and his priority stuck in the rushhour traffic.

biking_fox

Guru
Curious about your choice of positioning before the lights?

You filter between two lanes, and then stop a couple of cars back from the front. No ASL box I presume? but why not get in front, or else join at the back of the queue?

I'm sure the driver was less than impressed at being chosen to be the one you blocked.

On that road I would have been in secondary. Unless the road surface was dodgy? it looked ok.

Top Bottom