Closest overtake ever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Crackle said:
Yes filtering is legal and yes you have the same right to the road as anyone else I am not disputing that. But what is legal and right may not be sensible, in this case I think your filtering, in particular where you stop is not sensible.

Here's what I would've have done, indeed have done for many years, just so you have a fair chance to critique me as well. Filter as you did but when I found my gap move in to the left of the car in a secondary position as it's now called.

Doesn't look like there is space to get into a secondary position there. You could get right on to the kerbside, but thats not secondary position, thats more timid again. Or, in other words, its roadkill. If you're to the left of the traffic that isn't moving then the cars don't have to move out to miss you, and they won't move out. They'll all (or most of them) will pass far too close.

I disagree Cab: I have used this 'roadkill' position many times. On the face of it it may seem that but in fact in traffic where you are away as fast as the cars, you are quickly back into the traffic stream in the position you need. In fact I find people are more willing to leave you room to get back in, 'cause you haven't pissed them off in the first place.

Also Magnatom moved into a gap. He could've taken any position in that gap?

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
I disagree Cab: I have used this 'roadkill' position many times. On the face of it it may seem that but in fact in traffic where you are away as fast as the cars, you are quickly back into the traffic stream in the position you need. In fact I find people are more willing to leave you room to get back in, 'cause you haven't pissed them off in the first place.

Crackle see here (

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6C8SEWII8gk
) to see why I take a strong position here. This cyclist nearly gets squeezed at the railings.

domtyler

Über Member
I never like to leave myself in the position where I have to rely on the kindness and generosity of car drivers in order to make progress preferring a far more assertive stance.

My main problem with pushing in a few cars back is that you are effectively pushing into someone else's space and people generally don't like that. Going to straight to the front and you are in clear space, you don't unnecessarily piss people off and you are in a position to control what happens behind you.

Jaded

You can always look back and acknowledge the driver behind you. Eye to eye contact and a quick move off after the lights change can make a lot of difference to a driver whose space you have invaded. :biggrin:

Many drivers don't see cyclists filtering as 'filtering'. The Highway Code talks about the relative speeds of lanes when it mentions filtering and it is difficult to say that the gap between cars is a 'lane'. Cyclists might see this as legal filtering but drivers may not.

I don't think he's anywhere near getting squeezed. He stops at a gap between two cars and moves off with them. However he doesn't give the impression he's too clued up about riding a bike on the road. Not an example of what I mean.

And as Dom says, why not go to the front. The only time I wouldn't is if a lorry or bus was there whom I couldn't outpace and would therefore have to come past me again.

Pulling into a queue like you are doing is going to piss people off, it would me.

As for kindness and generosiy of drivers, most are considerate, though I can't speak for Londoners.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
I don't think he's anywhere near getting squeezed. He stops at a gap between two cars and moves off with them. However he doesn't give the impression he's too clued up about riding a bike on the road. Not an example of what I mean.

And as Dom says, why not go to the front. The only time I wouldn't is if a lorry or bus was there whom I couldn't outpace and would therefore have to come past me again.

Pulling into a queue like you are doing is going to piss people off, it would me.

As for kindness and generosiy of drivers, most are considerate, though I can't speak for Londoners.

He is towards the end of the clip. Watch how the red car has to brake to allow him out where the barrier comes close to the road, just past the bus stop.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Again I think a lot of drivers really hate cyclists or any other vehicle pushing in front of them.
I get grumbly when I'm at a red light and another cyclist pushes past me to track stand ahead of the lights or simply RLJ.

Looking at the vid again IMO I would have taken secondary in the gap behind the car that overtook you and signalled out into primary when the traffic started rolling, so as to avoid any left hook potential.

Wrong and dangerous tho it is I think the overtaking car assumed that you would pull into a secondary position and went for the first available gap without looking.

And as Jaded points out the are huge discrepancies between what is legal for cyclists to do and what drivers think it is legal for cyclists to do.

Jaded said:
You can always look back and acknowledge the driver behind you. Eye to eye contact and a quick move off after the lights change can make a lot of difference to a driver whose space you have invaded. :biggrin:

Absolutely. A nod, a raised hand, a smile, all will defuse a potential conflict. It also helps if you look absolutely shagged when you do it, then you get the sympathy as well. ;)

No but seriously Magnatom. Seven years city commuting and 3 years urban commuting, cycling for 30 years and I can count a handful of 'serious' incidents, you seem to have exceeded that in a year.

magnatom said:
He is towards the end of the clip. Watch how the red car has to brake to allow him out where the barrier comes close to the road, just past the bus stop.

I watched it a few times but couldn't make out enough detail but suffice to say, he's not a good example.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Crackle said:

Maybe you shouldn't be driving? :biggrin:

Mags - I'd definitely contact police. Mention your recent 'history' and that the comment at the time, from them, was people should contact the police - so "here goes". Lets see if they actually do anything!!

gambatte said:
Maybe you shouldn't be driving? :biggrin:

Oh what! So you don't agree, so you cast aspersions on my driving. Why don't you read what's written.

Try a reasoned argument. If you think Magnatom is doing it all right then why is he having so many encounters? He posts these for a response, I'm giving him one. You rubbing his back and cooing is not going to give any cause to think about his riding.

And I'm not saying I'm right by the way.

..and yes, the driver was a to$$er, I never said he wasn't.

spindrift

Crackle, you on a hiding to nothing here, magna did nothing wrong at all, the driver actually had to SLOW almost immediately after overtaking so my guess is this was a deliberate act of aggression. I'm getting a helmet cam because there are two or three incidents of dangerous stupidity on every single one of my 7 mile commute through East London, they are most certainly not as rare as you claim.

Pulling into a queue shouldn't "piss you off" at all, chill out dude and have a think about why you get so aggressive on the roads.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
No I read what you'd written thats what caused me concern, not with your driving, but your attitude behind the wheel - you stated you'd get pissed off by a cyclist filtering past

I keep an eye on my mirrors and position myself so if a cyclist should appear they can filter, good for 'em.

If another road user legally getting infront of you in this way 'pisses you off' you should examine your attitude behind the wheel?

Cab

Crackle said:

Then you disagree with what is normally the accepted practice that is, usually, taught to cyclists by instructors. You disagree with cyclecraft. Your perogative, but you're simply in error.

Top Bottom