Closest tyre experience to Conti GP4000s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Other than the Continental Grand Prix 5000, that is. After I don't know how long (well, 2 months with this particular specimen, but a lot longer with the brand), am looking for an exit route.

A0yy87B.jpg

Caught me just in time! I was about to go out.

iqi6pTi.jpg

Can I come too?

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Schwalbe One or Vittoria Rubino Pro.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've tried GP5000's but whilst they ride well at the start the tread starts cracking after a few months, so wouldn't recommend them.

@Mo1959 - I've found Schwalbe One's don't have the grip and use Vittoria Rubino Pro's for commuting. A good tyre but imo not GP4000's.

We've tried Schwalbe Durano's (OK) but I'd be interested in anyone who's tried the 25mm versions by Michelin Power / Pirelli P Zero / Hutchinson Fusion 5 / another alternative. I'm onto my last spare GP4000 :ohmy:

Last edited:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Difficult to recommend as nothing really comes close, but my next favourite tyre is Continental Grand prix, same grip, a little bit more weight, a bit more rolling resistance. I've got a pair of Schwalbe One V guard which I'm waiting to try, maybe this year if the current Covid-19 crisis passes.

I really don’t rate the durability of any of the Continental tyres I’ve ever used ( in fact a stripe of toothpaste would be more durable than most of them IME). I found The Pirelli P Zero Velo ( silver ) to be on a par as far as performance goes, but more durable. I find Vittoria Rubino tyres to be better on durability as well, whilst maintaining a similar performance level.

OP
OP
anothersam

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll look into all that. Fortunately I’ve just unearthed a 4000 from the depths of the garage, stowed there because it’s a 25mm, so very popular now but not quite to my liking. Now it seems like finding a pot of gold.

Is anyone aware of a black market for the oldies but goodies? We’ve still got loads of Brexit stash TP for bartering purposes.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've tried GP5000's but whilst they ride well at the start the tread starts cracking after a few months, so wouldn't recommend them.

@Mo1959 - I've found Schwalbe One's don't have the grip and use Vittoria Rubino Pro's for commuting. A good tyre but imo not GP4000's.

We've tried Schwalbe Durano's (OK) but I'd be interested in anyone who's tried the 25mm versions by Michelin Power / Pirelli P Zero / Hutchinson Fusion 5 / another alternative. I'm onto my last spare GP4000 :ohmy:
i can only say i run michelig pro race 3s and i really like them as a better weather tyre .

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

You must have a lot of bottle. I fitted a pair of Schwalbe one's for our Spain trip in February, Coming down the mountains i found they felt really good. Never ridden them in the wet though.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Vittoria Corsa are lovely...really fast with loads of grip, however they may not be the most long lived and the puncture protection is modest at best. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-corsa-g-folding-graphene-tyre/

For a more robust tyre I've been massively impressed with the Specialized Roubaix pro:
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specia...MIzcWB75TC6AIVlojVCh1bxQAnEAQYBCABEgLZmPD_BwE
They're an "odd" size... 23mm tread on a 25mm case so fit well on wider wheels. A set of 28/30 has survived an entire years commute with 1 puncture, and still looks pretty new.

Twilkes

Guru
I currently ride Michelin pro4 endurance v2 tyres, and while they're quick and comfortable the puncture resistance isn't as great as some reviews say, and LOTS of nicks in the surface after less than 1000 miles or so. Looking for a tougher tyre for next purchase, possibly one of their Power range as they are meant to be more durable.

It is of no surprise to me that the sidewall went in your Contis, even 8 years after I had similar problems with GP4seasons and Gatorskins, I wouldn't buy another tyre from that brand.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I bounce back and forth between the 4000s, (now 5000s) and Schwalbe Pro Ones. I buy based on price and each time at some point wear the tyre out what I believe to be prematurely and switch to the other brand. What I should really do it realise that they are both fragile tyres albeit with great grip and rolling resistance and either suck it up or switch to a slower tyre.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll look into all that. Fortunately I’ve just unearthed a 4000 from the depths of the garage, stowed there because it’s a 25mm, so very popular now but not quite to my liking. Now it seems like finding a pot of gold.

Is anyone aware of a black market for the oldies but goodies? We’ve still got loads of Brexit stash TP for bartering purposes.

I've got a pair of GP4000 with Silver tread, still in their boxes :surrender:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Vittoria Corsa are lovely...really fast with loads of grip, however they may not be the most long lived and the puncture protection is modest at best. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-corsa-g-folding-graphene-tyre/

For a more robust tyre I've been massively impressed with the Specialized Roubaix pro:
https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specia...MIzcWB75TC6AIVlojVCh1bxQAnEAQYBCABEgLZmPD_BwE
They're an "odd" size... 23mm tread on a 25mm case so fit well on wider wheels. A set of 28/30 has survived an entire years commute with 1 puncture, and still looks pretty new.
The came installed on my newest Ruby. I like them a lot. Seem pretty robust but still roll well.

Top Bottom