clothing advice for beginners?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrklaw

Hi,

Not doing long rides, just a short few miles commute either side of a train into London. But as Autumn/winter approaches I need to think about clothing - both for temperature and rain. Would appreciate some advice from you fine folk.

I'm normally pretty good with the cold - if I'm walking and its above 10c I'll happily come in with a short sleeved shirt and not bother with a coat - the 40 minute walk from paddington to the office warms me up. But if I'm cycling there is obviously wind chill to consider, even if I'm most likely just bumbling along at 10mph.

rugby bloke

Veteran
I have a similar commute - from St Pancras to St Pauls. In the winter I wear a couple of layers together with walking trousers. I keep a shower proof coat in my rucksack. Does the the job for all most all weather bar the occasional deluge.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
For a short ride like that, you definitely don't need special clothing, but yes, it is worth having some protection from the rain and wind.

Rainlegs are worth considering - when it rains, your thighs get wet very quickly on the bike compared to walking:
https://www.rainlegs.com/en/home

For a windproof, I like the dhb Aeron windproof which is not too expensive, very light and packable, and reasonably showerproof as well:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-packable-jacket/

For proper rain, you need a proper rain jacket. I like the Altura NV2 waterproof jacket - still quite light and packable but decent rain protection - also has the 'NightVision' treatment which is pretty effective without making you look like a workman:
https://www.altura.co.uk/products/detail/AL22NV2/nv2-waterproof-jacket/?ng=

A proper cycling jacket will have longer sleeves and be cut longer at the back - more general purpose jackets will sometimes be too short at the back, leaving your backside exposed to the elements. But mudguards are also essential for commuting IMO.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
My commute is longer than yours, but I tend to manage with one base layer and a formerly waterproof jacket to stop the wind chill. If it's raining or rain is expected the waterproof comes out, but that achieves the same end so far as wind chill.
For the current mornings, the base layer is a thin long sleeved cycling top. Colder mornings it's an Aldi ski top and when the temperature gets into the minus numbers, a merino top over the Aldi base layer.

Get a non-waterproof, windproof jacket in a bright colour with 360 degree reflective stuff. Look for a high collar. You don't need a rear pocket but a chest pocket is good to stash gloves and wallet at stops.
Get some fingerless mitts for crash protection and some decent full length winter cycling gloves for colder months.
A neck tube/buff/headover
Wool socks
Wicking T shirt but for a short pootle this is not a neccesity.
On wetter days, quick dry polycotton trousers are useful.
Waterproof jacket and tousers (I like Montane Atomic pants)

The rest can be ordinary clothing. In cold conditions, just add more midlayer, woolie jumpers or fleece. Footwear for cold, wet days is tricky. You could use sealskinz waterproof socks on really bad days, but lightweight boots may be better.
My 5 mile commute to the office is in Friday dress down style every day. Just normal clothing.

OP
OP
M

Mrklaw

Thanks all. Interesting you are recommending non-waterproof for wind. Is that because they can make you a little sweaty due to the water protection?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thanks all. Interesting you are recommending non-waterproof for wind. Is that because they can make you a little sweaty due to the water protection?

Pretty much. Even at 10mph you're liable to "boil in the bag" with a full waterproof.

Unless it's very cold, you might find a gilet a better option than something with full sleeves, as it will keep the windchill off your chest but still provide plenty of ventilation.

, you might find a gilet a better option than something with full sleeves, as it will keep the windchill off your chest but still provide plenty of ventilation.

Gillets are useful in windproof and insulated form.
On cold days I can start the ride wearing an insulated gillet over my windproof. When I come to an up hill I can take it off without faffing around. Useful for U-shaped commute profiles (downhill start, uphill finish)

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
layers are your best bet.
It also helps if you make sure everything has a full length zip, that way if you're overheating you can unzip the inner layers.

If you do start to ride further in inclement weather staying warm is more important than dry. The price of the technical stuff (castelli Gabba / gore tex 2 layer stuff) is eye watering, but it does actually work. Probably overkill for a short flat commute in sub-tropical London though. :smile:

MarkF

Guru
OP. I don't have much cycle specific clothing as it's often a rip off and like you 10c is fine for me, not cold. Best thing I ever bought for winter cycling was rainproof jacket from Mountain Warehouse, double lined, I only need a t-shirt under it, zip and velcro sealed front, velcro adjustable wrists and waist + 2 zipped pockets and.............a hood with a proper peak!

I think it was in the January sales at about £25, if it had been in a boutique bicycle shop it have been, oooh.. about £1m.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Planet-X sales are good for bargain cycle wear. Also look out for Aldi/Lidl Sales
Ron Hill tracksters over cycle shorts are great in winter and rain, cheap as chips.
Gilets are great and not a fortune for something half decent.
Decent warm gloves and socks are worth it. Cheaper ski gloves can work really well.
Buffs have a myriad uses, around neck, over face, under helmet.
Layers dear boy, layers :-)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Generally - wear clothes. Clothes are good. Do not try to cycle naked on a regular UK commute. Otherwise, clothes, yes! Plus fours and a cotton oxford shirt with a pipe full of Old Holborn make quite a mark, along with a suitable cardigan or sleevless jumper knitted by grandmama and a matching chapeu.

Wear what the funk you want to as long as it doesn't get in the way. You do not need special "cycling clothing" as cycling is an everyday activity. (Unless you are find yourself unwittinglingly taking part in the Vuelta, in which case you might need some sort of breathable, team branded kit.)

froze

Über Member
I agree, with short miles don't bother getting the fancy stuff you'll never realize their potential, and some of that fancy stuff is snake oil anyways! Just go down to your nearest ASDA sportswear department (or some other place in London that sells sportswear cheap) and pick up some jersey's, shorts, jogging pants, socks etc for low cost. The only problem with getting just a plain pair of shorts is "IF" you feel your bum getting a bit sore, or chaffing going on then you may want to spring for a cycling short like the Pearl Izumi Pursuit Attack shorts, or for a bit less money the Santic Cycling short got really nice reviews for half the cost of the Pearls; see: https://www.amazon.com/SANTIC-Cycli...634389-2-&SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA When ordering by mail make sure you can exchange them if they don't fit right for no charge in either shipping or restocking fees.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Lidl and Aldi both do some good cycling gear. Their Winter collection will be out soon. I like their shell jackets.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I like the Altura NV2 waterproof jacket - still quite light and packable but decent rain protection - also has the 'NightVision' treatment which is pretty effective without making you look like a workman:
A proper cycling jacket will have longer sleeves and be cut longer at the back - more general purpose jackets will sometimes be too short at the back, leaving your backside exposed to the elements. But mudguards are also essential for commuting IMO.

There's nothing wrong with looking like a workman when riding a bike in inclement weather or in darkness. Commuting is a utility activity, not a fashion show. Hi-vis site clothing is relatively cheap (unless Goretex), it keeps you dry-ish, and is highly conspicuous when caught in car headlights. Traffic jackets are long enough to cover your bum when on the saddle, which I agree with @smutchin can be a problem with short fit jackets. Ankle length work boots are good at keeping your feet warm and dry and are stiff enough soled to be comfortable on the pedals unlike flimsy footwear. Work stuff tends to be sized on the generous size too, so you can wear two pairs of socks when it's really cold without them feeling too tight.

Top Bottom