Clothing for under 10 degrees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bib tights, winter boots or shoes with overshoes, base layer and a windproof softshell. As it get's nearer zero then the softshell is changed for a thermal softshell (thicker material).

13 rider

Guru
I've been out for a ride this morning in about 4 degrees and I wore a lightweight summer base layer winter long bibs tights and my thick Aldi long sleeved jacket ,overshoes medium gloves and my knitted ear warmer ( a knitted sweat band ).Did have rain jacket in my pocket
The thing is everyone feels ,tolerates the cold differently so it's very individual, basics keep the core warm and there's more blood to keep the extremerties warm .If youre on a club run a lightweight removable layer (gilet or jacket ) will be useful if everyone's stops for a mechanical or to regroup put it on before you being to cool down or after a cafe stop to warm up again . Little bits like a buff and my ear warmers just add that extra bit of comfort .

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Merino base plus merino mid layer with a light fleece and Altura jacket outer. Slightly thicker longs but same shoes and socks all year. Hands are a problem and winterweight gloves are not quite enough so still experimenting as my fingers get very cold very quickly.
This is at 6C as today but a heavier fleece when it gets colder instead of the lightweight one.

presta

Guru
These look suitable for three degrees, but I've not tried them myself.

IIRC, 10-11 deg was about the point where I added a fleece jacket to a T-shirt, fleece jumper & Montane windproof. I can't remember at what point I added a second pair of Ron Hill Bikesters. During the freezing winter of 2009/2010 I don't know what the temperature was, but I was coming home from a 3 hour ride with frozen water bottles.
Then I was wearing:

Shorts and T-shirt, along with:
Two balaclavas
Helly thermal shirt
2 (or 3?) fleece jumpers
Fleece jacket
Windproof jacket
Helly thermal long Johns
3 pairs of Bikesters
Two pairs of gloves
2 pr of socks
pogies on the pedals

These look suitable for three degrees, but I've not tried them myself.

IIRC, 10-11 deg was about the point where I added a fleece jacket to a T-shirt, fleece jumper & Montane windproof. I can't remember at what point I added a second pair of Ron Hill Bikesters. During the freezing winter of 2009/2010 I don't know what the temperature was, but I was coming home from a 3 hour ride with frozen water bottles.
Then I was wearing:

Shorts and T-shirt, along with:
Two balaclavas
Helly thermal shirt
2 (or 3?) fleece jumpers
Fleece jacket
Windproof jacket
Helly thermal long Johns
3 pairs of Bikesters
Two pairs of gloves
2 pr of socks
pogies on the pedals

Sweet baby cheeses. Your laundry bill would have been huge !

I've a DHB deep winter jacket that goes over a long sleeve base and top for cold winters. I've not had to use it for 4 or 5 years now !

During the freezing winter of 2009/2010 I don't know what the temperature was, but I was coming home from a 3 hour ride with frozen water bottles.
Then I was wearing:

Helly thermal long Johns
3 pairs of Bikesters

Was that the year we had a week of -12'c in the South of England (that's daytime max!). Anyway ...

I've never heard of anyone layering Bikesters, let alone 3 pairs!!! But I guess in principle it might work fine. If YOU're happy ...

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I take Chris S's line - keep the core warm, and let the extremities look after themselves.
For 10°, it would normally be shorts, sandals, a mesh base layer, 2 long sleeve jerseys, and a gilet (or more usually a convertible jacket with the sleeves in the back pocket). Including the sleeves, that sees me down to about zero.

Jameshow

Veteran
I take Chris S's line - keep the core warm, and let the extremities look after themselves.
For 10°, it would normally be shorts, sandals, a mesh base layer, 2 long sleeve jerseys, and a gilet (or more usually a convertible jacket with the sleeves in the back pocket). Including the sleeves, that sees me down to about zero.

I don't buy that, not in Yorkshire anyway!
Cold fingers and toes ruins any bike ride!

I'm usually base layer (either a short-sleeved footy training top or a long-sleeved running top), mid layer (either a light fleece or a roll neck thermal skiing thingy from Decathlon) and then a winter jacket over that. Fleece-lined cycling tights, if it's really cold, then I'll layer those with lycra leggings. Two pairs of socks and MTB shoes. Plus a fleece beanie under the skid lid and Altura winter gloves.

If it's windy or stupid cold, then I'll throw a cagoule or a gilet over everything. I don't mind riding when it's cold and dry. It's wet and mucky that I'm not a fan of.

Top Bottom