Clothing for wet weather

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sleaver

Veteran
I only got my bike a few weeks ago so go easy on me, but what's good to wear when it's not dry?

I've got a couple of jerseys and a wind proof jacket but I'm thinking that will get wet pretty quickly so is it worth investing in something waterproof? If so, are there any recommendations? Hopefully something not to expensive considering I have spent a small fortune already.

BSRU

A Human Being
I only got my bike a few weeks ago so go easy on me, but what's good to wear when it's not dry?

I've got a couple of jerseys and a wind proof jacket but I'm thinking that will get wet pretty quickly so is it worth investing in something waterproof? If so, are there any recommendations? Hopefully something not to expensive considering I have spent a small fortune already.
This time of year wearing waterproofs will get you soaked from your own sweat better to just get soaked from the rain.

I was perfectly comforable wearing a short sleeve jersey and a windproof on my wet lunchtime ride. A different matter when I got back to work though.

Better just to make sure you have warm clothes and a warm drink to offset the post-ride chill IMO.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Waterproofs are a tricky one. To be honest unless you spend and absolute fortune you're going to end up as a "boil in the bag" sweaty mess. Personally I find as long as you can keep warm, being dry is much less important. I just go with a very lightweight windproof jacket and get wet... when the rain stops the windproof comes off and my normal cycling gear is usually dry in 20 mins anyway.

The one exception for me is my feet in winterr, as nothing is worse than riding with cold wet feet. The only "expensive" waterproofs for me are my winter boots - best thing I ever bought - but strictly for winter use.

StuartG

slower but further
Yep shorts are the best waterproof gear if it isn't cold. Nothing beats skin for keeping the rain out and burning off the residue when it stops. Plus you have less to dry (personally I find the upper part of one's shorts seldom get too wet as they are well shielded by the rest of the body particulary if you are down on the drops).

If its pouring I wear a cheap Lidl rainjacket (£12.99?). If its a shower I use my Aldi ultalite (£9.99?). I always keep that with me as it gets you through a cold patch nicely too. Wearing a Helly Hensen dry baselayer mitigates any discomfort if the rain penetrates. I also find a simple cycle cap keeps my head and glasses dry. More convenient than a hood. Overshoes are a must.

Winter is different. Don't worry about that till autumn :smile:

Waterproofs are a tricky one. To be honest unless you spend and absolute fortune you're going to end up as a "boil in the bag" sweaty mess. Personally I find as long as you can keep warm, being dry is much less important. I just go with a very lightweight windproof jacket and get wet... when the rain stops the windproof comes off and my normal cycling gear is usually dry in 20 mins anyway.

The one exception for me is my feet in winterr, as nothing is worse than riding with cold wet feet. The only "expensive" waterproofs for me are my winter boots - best thing I ever bought - but strictly for winter use.

I agree the thing I really hate is wet feet, so I have expensive waterproof boots. On my upper body unless its lashing down I just wear my softshell and its not often its lashing down.

The only reason I wear it when its lashing down is so I dont get soaked so quickly as its takes me awhile to warm up.

OP
OP
sleaver

sleaver

Veteran
Sounds a bit like running then as I've got a water/wind proof jacket but while it keeps the rain out, it keeps the sweet in.

So it seems the only thing I should consider is over shoes as a rain proof jacket may leave me just as soaked but from sweat rather than rain?

StuartG

slower but further
So it seems the only thing I should consider is over shoes as a rain proof jacket may leave me just as soaked but from sweat rather than rain?
That's the point - a showerproof jacket is a great way to keep warm rather than dry. Rain can be very cooling especially if you have cotton clothing. I prefer the ultralites as you can roll 'em up and stuff 'em into a back pocket when you get too warm/rain stops and is always there if you suddenly feel cold. Amazing how temperatures can drop in valleys or wind gets to your sweat on a downhill.

Don't be afraid of rain. Be very afraid of cold. Its uncomfortable and saps both will and strength.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
The only wet weather protection I have is a lightweight jacket that can be kept in a jersey pocket and a pair of thick overshoes that will keep the water out for about ten minutes, as the water will get in no matter what you do. Most of the water will be sprayed at you from your wheels, so mudguards are another solution.

pally83

Über Member
Tenn Vapour jacket works for me. Used it today for an hour or so on the commute home. It gets a bit warm but I think all will in this weather - keeps the worst off and certainly stops a chill.

Top Bottom