Clothing on a recumbent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - daft question I know, but I can't see my padded lycra being of much use to me anymore. In fact, I can see the padding getting in the way to be perfectly honest, which is a shame because I had just replaced my Assos 3/4 length bottoms with brand new ones ... :eek:

I am currently wearing cotton/poly mix tracksuit bottoms with the bottoms tucked into my socks. But it is starting to get too warm really for those, and they are wearing out fast. :excl: I had to stitch a hole in them this morning and I am not covering where :eek:, mind you they weren't covering either :dry:...

So what do you wear?
  • unpadded lycra & underwear
  • tracksuit bottoms
  • other skin tight bottoms
  • shorts
  • ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
what about running tights?
I use them when its cold on a "standard" frame bike, i do suffer a bit from chilly back but on a bent you would not be ass up nose down .

OP
OP
SatNavSaysStraightOn

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Changed hemispheres!
I was considering those as an option, but I need something easy to get on because I am still finding it difficult to dress myself. I have a thingy to put my socks on, but underwear and trousers are usually done by my OH in the morning before he goes to work :blush:. I am hoping I will get better and be able to do this myself, so have 2 needs really. 1 for the immediate now and something I can sit in all day and 2, something for the future when hopefully I will be able to dress myself again! :eek:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I was considering those as an option, but I need something easy to get on because I am still finding it difficult to dress myself. I have a thingy to put my socks on, but underwear and trousers are usually done by my OH in the morning before he goes to work :blush:. I am hoping I will get better and be able to do this myself, so have 2 needs really. 1 for the immediate now and something I can sit in all day and 2, something for the future when hopefully I will be able to dress myself again! :eek:
The Ronhill Tracksters would probably be ideal.

POCKETS... Pockets and Pockets

The point with recumbents is that pockets spill things so you need zipped pockets

The most resilient, adaptable and value (TK Maxx ans sales outlets) for recumbents has been the Craghoppers Kiwi Stretch Pro 3/4 length

Superb stretch material, zip pockets and durability

Sara_H

Guru
For none recumbent riding I mostly wear ordinary leggings (sometimes 2 pairs if it's nippy!) and tunic style tops - comfy for riding and acceptable in supermarket/pub/cafes etc.
In the summer I often wear cropped leggings or stretch Capri trousers.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Last year I purchased one of these - basically a very light-weight all-mesh nylon gilet with pockets - and it's great for carrying things like phone, camera, wallet/credit cards, tissues, lipsalve etc :okay:, without the risk of them falling out of trouser pockets. It also has enough pockets to carry a cap, buff, gloves, mitts etc for changing temperatures.

The only issue with it was that, having measured the size I wanted, they sent me one 2 sizes larger; upon questioning, they said:
"Seller's message:
'Thanks for your message and for your information, we two size up to match it to western size and you can check it at description. 2XL size is only for Asian people. Hope you understand this situation. Thanks'"
:wacko:

What's the point of having a Tag Size chart at the bottom, then ??? :angry: Sadly, I really needed it right away, so have an XXL, instead of an L. :sad:

machew

Veteran
OK - daft question I know, but I can't see my padded lycra being of much use to me anymore. In fact, I can see the padding getting in the way to be perfectly honest, which is a shame because I had just replaced my Assos 3/4 length bottoms with brand new ones ... :eek:

I am currently wearing cotton/poly mix tracksuit bottoms with the bottoms tucked into my socks. But it is starting to get too warm really for those, and they are wearing out fast. :excl: I had to stitch a hole in them this morning and I am not covering where :eek:, mind you they weren't covering either :dry:...

So what do you wear?
  • tracksuit bottoms
  • shorts
  • ?
Option E None.

However I and my partner tend to wear regular cycling lycra, she will wear a sports bra and I tend to go commando

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Normal clothes for shorter rides and winter, ordinary (non-cycling) shorts for summer. As Cunobelin says, you either want zipped pockets or to put your things in a bag. Double-check you didn't habitually put your wallet in your non-zipped trouser pocket ... DAMHIKIJKOK?

stuee147

i tend to wear zip off walking trousers they have lots of pockets some velcro and some ziped and are light weight dry quick and in the hot just unzip and you have shorts and when it gets colder in the evening just zip them back on and they are so light weight i normaly just roll the legs up and pop them in the leg pocket. as for top its just a quick dry sports top.

infact thats what i wear most days wether im cycling or not lol

byegad

Legendary Member
Running gear is the answer. I use Ronhill Longs and several different running tops. Chose the ones with zipped side pockets as some have rear pockets these days.

Rural Spaceman

So what do you wear?
  • tracksuit bottoms
  • shorts
  • ?
My street machine owners manual suggests "tucking your pants into your sockets" (?!)

Top Bottom