Clothing Sizing on internet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I always buy one size up for cycling equipment.
But i bought a hawaiian shirt on ebay from the USA, forgot it wasnt cycle equipment, made the silly mistake of sizing up, and it is the size of a small tent.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The sizing of cycling clothing is based on the idea that most cyclists are 5 feet tall and weigh 6 stone (That will be a large)
If you are 6 feet tall and weight 12 stone - you are too fat to ride a bicycle and won't find any kit made for you with the exception of the brand called Fat Lad at Back (FLAB)

It is also important to consider marginal speed gains - so whatever cycling clothing you buy will be skin tight..... even if you do only want to ride 2 miles on your shopper for a picnic rather than compete at international level.

Reactions: srw

Julia9054

Guru
I always buy one size up for cycling equipment.
But i bought a hawaiian shirt on ebay from the USA, forgot it wasnt cycle equipment, made the silly mistake of sizing up, and it is the size of a small tent.
I always fancied some genuine Levi's jeans but, not prepared to pay the £90 they cost over here, got a friend who was going to the USA for work to get me a pair. I even remembered that you take 2 sizes off for American women's sizes (size 10 is a size 6 etc)
Got a great pair of jeans for a third of the price. Unfortunately, I can get them on and off without undoing them!

outlash

also available in orange
The sizing of cycling clothing is based on the idea that most cyclists are 5 feet tall and weigh 6 stone (That will be a large)
If you are 6 feet tall and weight 12 stone - you are too fat to ride a bicycle and won't find any kit made for you with the exception of the brand called Fat Lad at Back (FLAB)

Yes. Spare a thought for us poor tall slender types having to buy large & extra large for any clothing outlet.....

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Yes. Spare a thought for us poor tall slender types having to buy large & extra large for any clothing ou3tlet.....

Only if you will spare a thought for us short fat types that look like a bag of potatoes trying to escape from a string bag even when wearing Extra Extra large!

Kosong

If you're a small, the world is your oyster. Look no further than wiggle. And thank your lucky stars you don't have the same shape as more than half the population, for whom XXL (the largest size easily available) is still too small.

*waves*

Have found an XL in a shop once, there's no way my usual XL body could fit anywhere near it, and thankfully not as the bib shorts were bloody pink!! Ended up doing a 4 day ride in yoga leggings which was probably better than regular clothes but lets say there was a lot of chafing issues :ohmy: Am hoping to get some gel leggings/bib shorts sorted for next year but it's proving very difficult finding somewhere that caters for hourglass figures in 3d. Just like most clothes in the high street!

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm a larger lady (size 16-18 and tall) and although some of the 'racing' brands don't go big enough, several do. Shorts, knickers, tights all obtainable (wouldn't wear bibs, way too much faff when you need to pee as much as I seem to)

Brands that work for me in wsd include gore, pearl Izumi, Sportful, sugoi (in an XL or xxl), I buy in the sales, Evans or Sigma have good online ranges and free returns

For me, Wiggles popular DHB range is utterly useless

I don't like gel pads, have one pair and they rub unlike other foam pads

ayceejay

Guru
the item you should pay attention to is mostly called 'fit' although in this case it is 'size type' if it says 'race fit' you will no doubt have to size up your jersey or size down your body. I would understand 'regular to mean just like any other item. For instance the Adidas jersey I bought was regular fit but I didn't notice and bought an XL that fits where it touches as my mother would say whereas XXL Nalini race fit is like a second skin

Top Bottom