Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
Have to agree with the other comments regarding lycra. I used to wear MTB baggies and the difference in a decent pair of proper padded cyling shorts comfort wise is incredible.

+1 i commuted in the most comfy/cycle friendly stuff i had in my wardrobe for a few months last year. got involved here and took CC'ers advice to get some padded shorts - went the whole hog and got some team kit and haven't looked back. the difference in comfort level is amazing...add to that some butt butter (assos chamois cream), for the long rides and it's as comfy as a comfy thing in a comfy place in comfy world ^_^

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
wear what you want. You don't need anyone else to validate your choices for you - do you..?

Agree, wear what you want. I would recommend getting some cycling underwear though if you intend to wear "normal" clothes. That way you get a bit of comfort benefit without anyone knowing what you are wearing.

Lycra is worn by roadie's for good reason, but if you don't want to wear it, don't, it is not critical to your enjoyment, although it may enhance your experience!

D

Deleted member 20519

I saw my first Team Sky kit on the road this morning!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from.... this joke isn't funny any more...

I love the Team Sky kit, not sure why, it just looks great.

OP, wear what you think looks good but if you go out on the road, most cyclists will be wearing lycra and it's not just to look good, it's there for a reason.

Nebulous

Guru
Lots of people are absolutely convinced they will never wear lycra and then eventually get there. It kind of depends on the company you keep - especially so if commuting.
Like other folk have said wear whatever you like.

Nearly there

Veteran
I was embarrassed the first time i wore lycra but now i feel odd if i go on my bike not wearing it,like the other day I popped down the lbs a mile away in just shorts and a tee and i didnt feel right ^_^

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'd worn Lycra on stage in my band many times, although I toned down the look a LOT on my bike.

Here is a picture taken backstage a few years back, I should warn you that once this photo has been seen it cannot be unseen, it's also possibly NSFW

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee43/andrew_culture/Andrew-Leotard-1.jpg

Basil.B

Guru
I have recently converted to lycra, wish I had done so earlier.
I'm so much more comfortable on the bike now, and no one gives you a second glance.
You dry off quicker if it rains too!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm another in the "wear what you like" camp. Oddly enough a lot of the people I saw out today on road bikes were in baggies - including myself. You could always team them up with a pair of padded shorts underneath for extra comfort.

Gaz Vickers

Get some Lycra on! i'm very shy but even i am going to venture out on a few rides wearing the dreaded Lycra. I was going to go the Baggy route, But i will probably feel sillier wearing baggy shorts. :blush: Besides some Lycra Shorts have cool designs and look great. :becool: But i suppose its whatever makes you feel more comfortable.
Gaz.

Top Bottom