club etiquette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
a mate of mine had just bought a new bike. he's not as regular a cyclist as me, but i've always wanted to encourage him. he went on a ride with his local club (warrington area) this weekend, and it doesn't sound like they rode bearing in mind a relatively unfit newb was riding with them.

in their defence, however, he turned up on a brand new £1200 (in the sale) kuota kharma in £100 road shoes. so a bit all gear, no idea etc. had he turned up on the basic saracen that is sitting with its chain off in the work bikeshed, i think he'd have been given a gentler ride.

whatcha think?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Some other cyclists do see a nice bike as a challenge, and assume the bike is being ridden by a more exprienced guy or gal. I've done it myself :evil:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It's not an uncommon occurence it appears from these pages.
I guess turning-up with all the kit might not help but in reality it shouldn't make any difference.
I guess it depends... my club does a Tues night Aussie pursuit over 2 11 mile circuits, as groups are handicapped there is always a "slow" group and the speedy bboyz can zoom off. If there is somebody very inexperienced there are one or 2 of us prepared to help newbies round, as I'm one of the slower ones I often volunteer for this duty, I think it helps to nurture starters.
Not all clubs though will have members as nice as ours!

Ravenz

whatcha think?[/quote]
on one hand.. fair play to him to lash out with the gear.. all in all he could have spent a damn sight more.... maybe soon lashing out on a fitness programme...?:evil:
on t'other hand, you are going to have to accept some 'stick' if you want to play at 'pro racer', but if so inexperienced then maybe someone should have had a quiet word about about the level ..

you dont mention but did he keep up or was he dropped..?

on balance.. on what I can glean ..I have not been inspired to join a club ride , so prefer to solo it

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i doubt he'd have had that experience in my club (macc wheelers). that quality of bike this time of year would have raised eyebrows though, and suggestions about mudguards…

mondobongo

Über Member
Was there no contact with the Club prior to him turning up? Would have expected someone to ascertain what sort of riding he had been doing ie distance speed and if he had experience of riding in a group prior to him going out on a run.

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mondobongo said:
Was there no contact with the Club prior to him turning up? Would have expected someone to ascertain what sort of riding he had been doing ie distance speed and if he had experience of riding in a group prior to him going out on a run.

i believe he rang up and was told to come along. it certainly may have been the case that the bike gave a false impression of the ability of the rider. i hope it hasn't put him off clubs, i wouldn't have done half the things i've done in the last three years without them.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Fab Foodie said:
It's not an uncommon occurence it appears from these pages.
I guess turning-up with all the kit might not help but in reality it shouldn't make any difference.
I guess it depends... my club does a Tues night Aussie pursuit over 2 11 mile circuits, as groups are handicapped there is always a "slow" group and the speedy bboyz can zoom off. If there is somebody very inexperienced there are one or 2 of us prepared to help newbies round, as I'm one of the slower ones I often volunteer for this duty, I think it helps to nurture starters.
Not all clubs though will have members as nice as ours!

That's because you're lovely, FF!! The Dulwich Paragon is like this too, a very nice club.

Top Bottom