FB Marketplace Etiquette?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My partner is getting into selling things we don't want. We always offer the items on a first person to say they'll buy it. However, if something happens and the first buyer can't make the agreed time to collect, is it poor etiquette to then accept the second person on the long list of n people who say they want the item.

Currently 21 people want it. We're thinking of letting person number two have it now. The thing is number one only let us know hours after he was supposed to be her to get it.

I'm a stickler for rules and fair play. I kind of prefer rules and good practise to be there with things such as fb marketplace. Just new to it.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
No 1 sounds like a Time Waster

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Just move very swiftly onto the next one. I always say to the person if you cant come then that's fine but please let me know so I'm not waiting etc. Worst experience was when I was giving away a 3 piece suite, so many idiots it was untrue. I said collection only and people were asking me to deliver it!, people asking could it be fit into the back of an estate car etc!!. I had to pay in the end £70 to get it taken away.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So many @Time Waster s on Facebook, even for free stuff they don't turn up or respond.
FTFY
Worth your partner being clear with future adverts that appearing as arranged is required to consummate 'first dibs'.
Also lots of people seem quickly to respond to be 'first in the queue' which then allows them time to check it's what they want at a price they want, and mostly then just go silent.
As opposed to 'reasonable folk' who only say 'yes please' when they mean it.

Gunk

Guru
First come - first served.
FB is full of time wasters.

Completely agree, here is a recent exchange with a FB knuckle-dragger when I was trying to sell some of the kids old toys, I did end up selling this to a normal human being, but there are 10 complete time wasters to 1 proper buyer.

IMG_1178.jpeg

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just don't hand items over on your doorstep before the buyer pays the full amount you're asking for! I've heard of folk being too trusting, letting buyers have a feel of the item, then they buyer does one without paying up, leaving the seller without his/her payment! I know of a woman who was too trusting and when the buyer didn't pay up she went to the police who weren't interested, saying no violence was involved in the theft so it was a small claims court matter, not theirs. She showed the plod the incident, recorded on her doorbell camera, but they just weren't interested.:unsure:

Imagine selling a decent bike on Marketplace. The buyer turns up and asks for a go on the bike before he/she decides if they want it. "Ok", says the seller, with the buyer saying "I'll just take it for a spin around the block". :rolleyes:

Then you wave goodbye to your bike and the £1000 you were asking for it!:ohmy:

Last edited:
There's a reason I prefer Ebay for selling things and this is it, everything I have for sale is a Buy It Now, no offers accepted UK Post only.

Have I lost out on a sale? Maybe, but everything auto renews infinitely and just sits in a box until sold. No hassle at all.

Anything I want to get rid of quick generally goes to a charity shop, if its tat it goes to the tip!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
My 'rules'.
If I get several replies I get rid of those that say "I'll have it" or similar replies and offer it to polite requests ie using the word 'please'.
That usually removes of half of them but I do keep them on hold by replying that someone is already buying it but if they don't turn up I'll get back to them.

I don't give out my full address or phone number until I'm fairly certain that the person will actually turn up. 🤞

Once cash has changed hands, I go into Messenger and leave the group it creates.

Never accept 'I'll send a courier and he'll give you the money'.. Not certain how, but I'm sure it's a scam.

I have sold a fair bit on FB but I ask for more than I expect as most will want to knock off a few quid.

Good luck & prepare for the time wasters.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not on Felchberk, but when I've sold or given stuff away online I've made it clear that the first person at my door is the one that gets it. Unless I know them there are no dibs, no ill be there at 7pm, etc.

Top Bottom