Club Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
15mpg solo will step up to 17mph in a group of decent riders surely, it's great being towed along by stronger riders, you don't realise what sort of pace you can manage until you 'have' to ride a bit quicker tha you usually ride

p90ade

jimboalee said:
Saturdays:
0830 Meet Summerhill, Kingswinford, on road, 35 miles, 2 hours, brisk, e-mail Roger Allen for information. Same route every week, details here. Experienced riders only.

I would advice against this being a newbie to the club and only doing a 13 mile daily commute.

Nice of them to put the routesheet on the website.

what club is this?

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Stourbridge . See Kingswinford though is the "wrong" side of stourbridge for me. Well I don't even live there so any ride would be taking the bike in the car to the start point !

Sam Kennedy

Do you have a road bike, it makes a MASSIVE difference!
Yesterday on the way home, I was in a smaller group of about 6-8 people, cruising at 22mph, honestly, no effort at all! We did have a bit of a tail wind, so that helped a bit :smile:

Do they do other club runs, you should probably try a slower or shorter route. I don't want to put you off, but my first outing with a club was torture, that was 45 miles @ 15mph average. However the torture was sort of self inflicted, I put lemon in my water (VERY VERY BAD IDEA!) which caused me to vomit, and my tyres were at 40psi (they are road tyres so should have been at around 100-110!). I really enjoyed it though!

If you do turn up, just make sure you have plenty to drink, have your tyres properly inflated, and bring at least 1 tube, but 2 would be better since it's winter. The only way to find out is to try it, but definitely see if they have an easier run first!

jimboalee

Thought about Beacon RCC?

Sundays. Black Horse, Northfield. Plenty of parking.

I could get there next Sunday.

The only snag is they sometimes go straight up the Lickeys.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Sam Kennedy said:
Do you have a road bike, it makes a MASSIVE difference!
Yesterday on the way home, I was in a smaller group of about 6-8 people, cruising at 22mph, honestly, no effort at all! We did have a bit of a tail wind, so that helped a bit :smile:

Do they do other club runs, you should probably try a slower or shorter route. I don't want to put you off, but my first outing with a club was torture, that was 45 miles @ 15mph average. However the torture was sort of self inflicted, I put lemon in my water (VERY VERY BAD IDEA!) which caused me to vomit, and my tyres were at 40psi (they are road tyres so should have been at around 100-110!). I really enjoyed it though!

If you do turn up, just make sure you have plenty to drink, have your tyres properly inflated, and bring at least 1 tube, but 2 would be better since it's winter. The only way to find out is to try it, but definitely see if they have an easier run first!

Yeah got a Roadie and it's just had it's 1st service so they have tweaked the gears, brakes and pumped up the tyres properly (so at least now I know you have to pump them up hard) !

Another local club do a beginers ride so I might go out with them.
I always have the choice to try this 35 mile route though anytime and see how far off I am.
At leasts it's something to work towards over the next 3 or 4 months.

Sam Kennedy

If you have a road bike an an average amount of fitness, you should cope with a 15 mph average pretty well.
If you can average 13/14mph by yourself, then 15 in a group shouldn't be a problem :ohmy:

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Dave5N said:
Not sure - I'll find out.

GIve me a shout if you fancy a gentlish potter some time in the meantime - but be warned, I ain't so quick!

Ok Cool - Saturday or Sunday mornings (Early ish) would be great.

Know any decent routes ?

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Got a few options now
Beacon do a quick 2 hour blast
Halesowen do beginners although not found any info
Birmingham City Cycles do a 2 hour Saturday 7am ride (Good time but 10 miles away) so if I was inclined to get up at 6.30am on a Saturday I would probably just go out from home on my own

Hi Downward
I'm a member of Stourbridge CC and the 08:30 run is not for total beginners but if you are doing 13 miles a day then you may be alright. (The first ride I went with them on was the 08:30 ride and I certainly knew about it afterwards, its not so much the overall speed thats tough but there are a few short climbs where the group start to push hard and thats where you (& me :sad:) can get dropped quickly)
The longer Sunday rides are much more relaxed albeit a further distance and no one gets dropped.
If you like I can take you round the Saturday course at your own pace (I havent rode the course this year yet as I appear to have devloped an insulating layer of lard around my midrift over winter ;) :wacko: so am looking to ease myself back into the course which after all is said and done is a great ride with a great group.)
Halesowen IMHO are aimed more at the competitive racing element

Top Bottom