Club Riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downward

Guru
How fit do you have to be to take part ?
It's 35miles and they reckon they take 2 hours.

The most I have done is 13 miles (with big hills mind) in an hour and only commute 13 miles per day at the moment.

Tynan

Veteran
13 miles a day is decent, that said, 35 miles in 2 hours is fairly brisk, that's with a stop as well I'll guess

it is a lot easier riding with a group, especially if they're setting the pace

have a crack and see what happens, no shame in dropping off when you've had enough and riding home

snorri

Legendary Member
All clubs are different, best to try and have a chat with people from the clubs in your area before committing yourself to join in a club outing. Find out how welcoming they are, and if they make allowances for new members or just expect you to conform right from the start.
Some cycle clubs seem to take a very serious approach, it's not like at work which can so often be fun.:evil:

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Tynan said:
13 miles a day is decent, that said, 35 miles in 2 hours is fairly brisk, that's with a stop as well I'll guess

it is a lot easier riding with a group, especially if they're setting the pace

have a crack and see what happens, no shame in dropping off when you've had enough and riding home

Yeah they have a map of the route although I know the area I don't know the contours !!

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
snorri said:
All clubs are different, best to try and have a chat with people from the clubs in your area before committing yourself to join in a club outing. Find out how welcoming they are, and if they make allowances for new members or just expect you to conform right from the start.
Some cycle clubs seem to take a very serious approach, it's not like at work which can so often be fun.:evil:

Yeah this club looks less hardcore than the other one in our area and £18 a year ain't too much.
I'll see what the weathers like Saturday after next and maybe go along.

jimboalee

I've looked on their website.

They have a 'Touring speed' ride of about 40 miles at average 12 mph.

That will be 12mph average 'on the road' not including the tea stop.
Cruising speeds will be about 14 - 16 mph to get a 12 mph riding average.

If you do have to turn for home, make sure you shout your intentions. A rider disappearing off the back is a worry for the ride leader. You will be questioned at your next visit.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Hi yeah its a fair way away from me about 6 miles so not sure about getting there at the moment.
Looking at the saturday morning ride really, I know the route so just gonna go ride it once or twice and see how long it takes

jimboalee

Saturdays:
0830 Meet Summerhill, Kingswinford, on road, 35 miles, 2 hours, brisk, e-mail Roger Allen for information. Same route every week, details here. Experienced riders only.

I would advice against this being a newbie to the club and only doing a 13 mile daily commute.

Nice of them to put the routesheet on the website.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
It looks a flatish route though - Only about 800ft of climbing over 35 miles. Not sure of the roads though or the area. I know the starting point is a fair distance from where I live though !

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Yeah screw it thats a fair lick !
Only manage 15mph average commuting home for 7 miles. Don't think I could muster another 25% increase and a 500% distance increase yet.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I am in a similar boat.

Joined CTC and contacted the local group to see what was about, they go out on a sunday morning all day maybe 70-100+ miles.

Sounds fairly sedate but finding the time with it being the only day i get to see mrs Ck without one of us being at work+ a toddler to look after.On top of which i have commuted over a 100 miles to and from work anyway.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Yeah exactly - 2 hours is long enough for me, They do a 40 miler 4 hours but 4 hours on a saturday morning when you have been at work all week is not gonna go down well with a young family !
Might just go on my own !

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
contact the club. i was in a similar boat and had a good chat with the membership secretary of macc wheelers. newbies are pretty well catered for if they can ride a bit (as you can), as long as said membership secretary is leading the saturday ride that is…

find out of they do any easier rides. the older members of the wheelers do a slow but long café crawl on a sunday which i used as a benchmark. i was off to the normal saturday club run the week after that.

joining a club is a great way of enjoying your bike.

Top Bottom