England : Norfolk Clubs in Norwich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Anyone got any experiences of the 3 main clubs that run in Norwich - Iceni Velo, Norwich ABC or VC Norwich?

I am looking to join one, mostly for non-competitive, social riding.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
nope - but Iv heard good things about VC Norwich, and their website makes them seem like a friendly lot

I was thinking about joining them one Sunday, on one of there 50mile rides. Not too sure I could keep up though.

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I've dropped a line to Norwich ABC, and will probably be joining one of their Social Rides this Sunday; the chap I emailed thinks a taster ride will help me find which one of there different riding groups to join based on how I get on. I think the Social group averages 16mph, but as I am used to cycling with much less able riders (Mrs WMB, and some of my mental health clients) I have no idea if this is a tough average over 40 miles.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I've dropped a line to Norwich ABC, and will probably be joining one of their Social Rides this Sunday; the chap I emailed thinks a taster ride will help me find which one of there different riding groups to join based on how I get on. I think the Social group averages 16mph, but as I am used to cycling with much less able riders (Mrs WMB, and some of my mental health clients) I have no idea if this is a tough average over 40 miles.

16mph over 40 miles (assumed flattish) is easy going, esp in a group. You will be fine.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Let me know how you get on. Thinking of joining one of the Norwich clubs here too. I rode on Saturday, with a couple of the ladies from Mulbarton VC, they went at my sort of pace.

e-rider

crappy member
I've cycles with all three within the last year, two in the last week or so!
To summarise:
1. VC Norwich is the largest club and has quite a few serious roadies - too serious in that even other club members are worried that they are putting people off. They have rides almost every night during summer so you'll likely to find a friendly group if you try hard enough.
2. Iceni claims to be the most inclusive, and their club rides are certainly friendly - seem like a good bunch and have had loads of new members recently.
3. ABC seemed a bit old school to me, and only offered a few different rides each week, none of which suited what I wanted

e-rider

crappy member
nope - but Iv heard good things about VC Norwich, and their website makes them seem like a friendly lot

I was thinking about joining them one Sunday, on one of there 50mile rides. Not too sure I could keep up though.
that's quite funny - their website was completely militant and unfriendly until it was re-written about 18 months ago!

e-rider

crappy member
Looks like Im going to give Iceni Velo a go this Sunday. 50mile ride from Norwich to Bungay and back again.

Ill let you know how it goes.
might see you there then - I'm the 'fat' loner bloke on the Focus Cayo with black Giro helmet. I suspect that I probably know you already anyway.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
might see you there then - I'm the 'fat' loner bloke on the Focus Cayo with black Giro helmet. I suspect that I probably know you already anyway.

I'll be the tall, lanky guy with long hair. Come say hi if you can ;)

Intrestingly I settled on Iceni because they seemed to be a nice middle option between ABC and VC Norwich. Your comments seem to back that up :smile:

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I've cycles with all three within the last year, two in the last week or so!
To summarise:
1. VC Norwich is the largest club and has quite a few serious roadies - too serious in that even other club members are worried that they are putting people off. They have rides almost every night during summer so you'll likely to find a friendly group if you try hard enough.
2. Iceni claims to be the most inclusive, and their club rides are certainly friendly - seem like a good bunch and have had loads of new members recently.
3. ABC seemed a bit old school to me, and only offered a few different rides each week, none of which suited what I wanted

What does Old School mean in this context? Is it all gnarly old men with cloth caps, on steel 10 speeds?

e-rider

crappy member
I'll be the tall, lanky guy with long hair. Come say hi if you can ;)

Intrestingly I settled on Iceni because they seemed to be a nice middle option between ABC and VC Norwich. Your comments seem to back that up :smile:
I think I'm on for Sunday, weather looking good and granted leave by the wife!

bottlemsher

Über Member
I'm the ride leader of the Iceni Velo Tuesday evening ride
please come along ,we ride at the the speed of the slowest rider (usually me)

Tuesday evenings

7:30pm start
Plumstead road ,Witard road junction
We have 15 ,18, 21 ,25 mile routes we do (depending on the weather)

Top Bottom