Clubs near Croydon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Red17

Veteran
Was thinking of trying out a club for a couple of rides, although too old to get into racing so more interested in the social ride side really.

Local clubs seem to be Addiscombe, Penge or Bigfoot - anyone had any experience with any of them?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Addiscombe is @Sittingduck 's club
Bigfoot is @Mista Preston 's club. (It's in Hayes)

Both clubs are very well thought of and have large memberships.

Penge I don't know anyone who's a member, however I am sure they have more of a social/family ride scene then Addiscombe and Bigfoot, who are mostly road race/chain gang orientated, though they do both run leisure rides also.

I think your best bet is call them up and have a chat.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Addiscombe cater for everything from 'Just for Fun' rides that take newbies to cycling, right through to full on Training Groups. There are upwards of 100 on the Saturday club runs, in the Summer. Pretty much a group for all abilities and a friendly , well run club, imho.

Meet point is 9am Coulsdon South Train Stn car park, on Saturdays. They also do Sunday rides, with a smaller group - middle of the road speed (17mph).

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
Thanks for comments - looks like I just need to drag myself along to some of the rides and see how it goes

Odd thing is I live in Addiscombe, and of the 3 they meet the furthest away.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Thanks for comments - looks like I just need to drag myself along to some of the rides and see how it goes

Odd thing is I live in Addiscombe, and of the 3 they meet the furthest away.
I live in Purley and often see the loads of Addiscombe boys riding out to the Coulsdon meet up.

If you go and have a coffee at Starbucks up in Hooley and get a window seat you will see each group go past normally in 10 minute intervals, might get a decent feel for which group would best suit you. I think they ride out to Charlwood to a café stop and then back.

I assume they meet there as its is closest point that leads out of heavy urban areas.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
ACC standard club run is Coulsdon>Reigate>Leigh>Newdigate>Rusper>Charlwood
Return is either via Box or straight back up Lonesome Ln and Redhill.

The last group off (prob leaving about 9:30) is plenty chilled and groups leave nobody behind (TG excepted). Try it out sometime. There's something for everybody!
More info on the website and forum

Bigfoot cater for all levels from total beginner to racers. We have a regular road ride every Saturday across all the levels that meets in old Hayes (near West Wickham) at 08.15. There are normally 100 plus riders across all levels riding on Saturday morning. MTB rides run midweek also. Outside of the Saturday club runs there are multiple events from TT's to Group Riding sessions across most of the week with many different groups doing lots of other activities that include core training to wall climbing. If you want to know more drop me a PM or take a look at the website and forum.

http://bigfootcc.co.uk

Ta
Clive

blimpnoddle

hi Red17

I've ridden with all 3 clubs you mention and this is what I found (with scores out of 10):

Penge cc: 5/10. Friendly but a general lack of organisation means you don't really know until the morning (Sunday) depending who turns up what choice of rides they'll be, but they're always pretty limited. Some weeks the 'fast' ride will only be 16 mph, another week around 19 (as I found to my cost - wasn't told beforehand it would be so quick)

Bigfoot cc: 2/10. Very disappointing. There are 7 groups for their weekly (Saturday morning) club runs, varying from 12 mph up to a training group of 20+mph so, on paper, a pretty good choice. Unfortunately this is not a friendly club. Things are pretty good in the 3 lowest groups, but I found those in the higher groups, and particularly many of those in level 3 who had moved up through the ranks from the lower levels, to be a very self important and unwelcoming lot. A club to be avoided in my opinion.

Addiscombe cc. 9/10. Excellent. A great choice of about 10 different rides on their Sat morning club run from Coulsdon South station to Tanhouse farm in Newdigate, taking various routes there and back, from 15mph up to a fast training group of 21+mph, Very friendly and well organised by club Captain John. There's also a regular Brighton and back ride during the summer months. The best club I've ridden with.

I've also ridden with Avanti, Beckenham Rugby, Old Portlians, Brixton and Catford. Avanti (8/10) is the pick of these. They meet at Green Street Green (possibly too far for you) and have a choice of 4 well organized Sunday Club runs (their flagship Aylesford Priory ride is outstanding). Brixton (7/10) is also worthy of mention. They meet at Crystal Palace Parade on Sunday mornings. When I rode with them it was to Box Hill and back. Limited choice of rides though.

So, for me, it's first choice Addiscombe, with Avanti a worthy contender, and Brixton as a third option.
http://www.addiscombe.org/
http://www.gsavanti.co.uk/

Last edited:

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Hi Red17
Just throwing my opinion in here, you won't find a more sociable and friendly bunch than the guys at Penge CC. I've also ridden with Dulwich and Bigfoot, while both good clubs, it seems to me that Penge might be more suited to your asking needs.
Whoever you go for, good luck mate !!

Tin Pot

Guru
Avanti (8/10) is the pick of these. They meet at Green Street Green (possibly too far for you) and have a choice of 4 well organized Sunday Club runs (their flagship Aylesford Priory ride is outstanding).

http://www.gsavanti.co.uk/

I'm near these guys, haven't managed to join them yet, but I'm considering it. They're a bit slow to respond by email, so I'd use the phone if they advertise one.

If I recall correctly, they go out rather late 09:00, for me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've been a member of Bigfoot for a few years. I ride occasionally in the lower levels, and do their annual Brighton and back ride. I've always found them to be a fun and welcoming bunch. But I've never ridden with the level 3s that @blimpnoddle had a falling out with. There's certainly plenty of choice of levels of ride.

I've been a member of Bigfoot for a few years. I ride occasionally in the lower levels, and do their annual Brighton and back ride. I've always found them to be a fun and welcoming bunch. But I've never ridden with the level 3s that @blimpnoddle had a falling out with. There's certainly plenty of choice of levels of ride.

I have also been a member of Bigfoot for 4 or so years and I have ridden with the 4, 3 and 2's and they are all a cracking bunch who have taught me loads. Have ridden with Avanti who are also a great group as well.

Top Bottom