Clubs near Croydon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Hi - sad to see no one has mentioned the grandaddy of them all - The Anerley Bicycle Club founded in 1881 but now centred on South Croydon/Purley. Some members do ride with the Addiscombe when they want to work out but the Anerley is quite the opposite in character catering for those who ride to see the Kent, Surrey and sometimes Sussex countryside and sample the finest tea shops and country pubs rather than the tarmac or rider in front. The Sunday ride is around 40/45 miles at conversational pace. That and being a courteous rider are the only requirements. Wear a helmet, not wear a helmet, male/female or some combination thereof, racing bike, hybrid, lycra or baggies - it doesn't matter its quite informal. Usually between five and ten we are a compact group with a different route every week. The shorter Tuesday Ride is the most popular ride of all.

Just turn up on a Sunday @ 9am or Tuesdays/Thursdays @ 10am at the telephone box outside Shurguard & 501 Brighton Road and introduce yourself. If you like us come again, if you can't keep away we offer £15/year membership but leave that to later. CTC affiliated. Website http://anerleybc.org

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@StuartG called me no one :cry:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Just incase you thought about it, Tomorrow is not a normal Saturday Club Run for Addiscombe. It's a Brighton special, so different groups at certain times, leaving from CSS. Probably not ideal for a first timer but wanted to warn you incase you turn up at 9am for the normal ride to Charlwood.

Slower groups leaving from about 8:15 or so and the Training Group are off at 9:15.

Cheers

blimpnoddle

I'm near these guys, haven't managed to join them yet, but I'm considering it. They're a bit slow to respond by email, so I'd use the phone if they advertise one.

If I recall correctly, they go out rather late 09:00, for me.

When I rode with Avanti a couple of years ago off time was 9:15. Sounds like it's too late for you but the best way to see what it's like is just to turn up for a ride. Upcoming Sunday rides are posted on their website a few days in advance. As I said the Aylesford Priory ride is a cracker so I'd keep a look out for when they'e doing it next - normally about 3 times a year.

RCITGuy

Was thinking of trying out a club for a couple of rides, although too old to get into racing so more interested in the social ride side really.
Local clubs seem to be Addiscombe, Penge or Bigfoot - anyone had any experience with any of them?

Hi Red17
Another club worth considering is Beckenham Rugby Cyclists.. Pretty much everything is done via facebook it seems, but they are a great bunch.

Bigfoot, long story, I got kicked out of Bigfoot for apparently being too keen. I loved doing their weekly MTB rides, but tried to ask a few times on their website if others wanted to come out riding and that seemed to rock many boats and upset their website guy and a lot of senior members he told me. Shame too, I'd have loved to have stayed a member, but they started insisting I do the 8am Sat morning ride, which is a no-go when you work nights (Explained to them the day I joined), I just wanted to find locals to go ride with, didn't need all the "Being told what to do and how to do it and when to do it"

Would love to rejoin Bigfoot, but sadly I think the committee don't like me. :-(
Shame too, I really miss the Thursday night MTB

OP
OP
R

Red17

Veteran
Thanks all for the opinions / experience.

Been out a couple of times with Penge who seem to fit what I was looking for - although may try Addiscombe and a couple of others sometime soon for a comparison.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Hi Red17
Another club worth considering is Beckenham Rugby Cyclists.. Pretty much everything is done via facebook it seems, but they are a great bunch.

Bigfoot, long story, I got kicked out of Bigfoot for apparently being too keen. I loved doing their weekly MTB rides, but tried to ask a few times on their website if others wanted to come out riding and that seemed to rock many boats and upset their website guy and a lot of senior members he told me. Shame too, I'd have loved to have stayed a member, but they started insisting I do the 8am Sat morning ride, which is a no-go when you work nights (Explained to them the day I joined), I just wanted to find locals to go ride with, didn't need all the "Being told what to do and how to do it and when to do it"

Would love to rejoin Bigfoot, but sadly I think the committee don't like me. :-(
Shame too, I really miss the Thursday night MTB

You ever thought of trying this ?
http://www.cyclingbuddy.com/ I met a couple of guys who are really good mates now through this site. Be patient thou, you can wait a while for replies

RCITGuy

Indeed, joined there a long time ago it seems, haven't tried to contact anybody with it yet though..

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Thanks all for the opinions / experience.

Been out a couple of times with Penge who seem to fit what I was looking for - although may try Addiscombe and a couple of others sometime soon for a comparison.
You been back out with Penge yet Red17 ?, I joined a couple of weeks ago and have loved every minute of it (apart from when I'm having a " I don't feel good today" ride) if you do fancy it say hello, I'm the guy with the blue & black Cube Agree.

Top Bottom