CO2 Gas inflators

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimbut

Received a Weldtite Jetvalve CO2 inflator for Xmas. Tested it and was VERY surprised that the gas continued to void when I removed inflator from valve. Thought it was duff but NO my LBS said all normal. The units are a 1 shot. It states nothing about this on the packaging. My LBS sells a 5 pack of cartridges for £8.50. ie using this device ( obviously emergency only ) costs £1.70 per shot ! Find all this a bit of a rip off I`m afraid. It should be possible to control the CO2 and get at least 2 - 3 inflations per cylinder. Anyone care to comment ?

stephec

Legendary Member
Leave the cylinder connected to the pump after you've inflated the first tyre, it should stay sealed so you can use the remining air on the next flat.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

I did not remove the cyclinder. I pressed the unit to the tyre valve which releases the gas. When I removed the unit from the tyre valve the CO2 continued to void and empty the cartridge. My LBS says this is how this unit works. I find it strange ( and expensive ).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
The refills do cost a bit. In practice I find I use them rarely. For commuting punctures I just use my pump, since it's in my bag anyway. I generally only use the CO2 inflator when relying on my jersey pockets only (time trials or shorter training rides mostly, I take a pump if i'm going any distance). So far I've used one cartridge this year. Mine just dumps the lot into the tyre in one go, but it needs a whole one to get the tyre up to pressure anyway.

OP
OP
J

jimbut

Ta for comments. Smokin Joe, what type of pump is it you have ? Would ( or should ) you get a couple of inflates out of it ? How much did it cost ( if u remember ) ?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
jimbut said:
Ta for comments. Smokin Joe, what type of pump is it you have ? Would ( or should ) you get a couple of inflates out of it ? How much did it cost ( if u remember ) ?
Mine was around a tenner from my LBS, make unknown. A 12 gram cartridge will get a road tyre up to a decent pressure, but that's with about 10psi froma small mini pump first as I like to get the tyre seated to make sure the tube isn't trapped before I zap it with a cartridge. 16gram are probably a better bet. Innovations do a combined hand/Co2 inflator which is probably the way to go.

I have always found Co2 to be reliable but I still like the security of a back-up even though I carry three cartridges. They are a boon when it is cold and wet and you want to get going quickly again.

stephec

Legendary Member
jimbut said:
I did not remove the cyclinder. I pressed the unit to the tyre valve which releases the gas. When I removed the unit from the tyre valve the CO2 continued to void and empty the cartridge. My LBS says this is how this unit works. I find it strange ( and expensive ).

Ah, I see now. I didn't know inflators like that existed, mine has a release button to control the flow of air. That is strange, and expensive.

Having said that I hardly ever get a you know what. And yes I know I'm going to regret saying that.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Smokin Joe said:
My Co2 pump has a button to activate it and any remaining gas stays in the cylinder when you disconnect, though I have had one which was total release only.

Buy your cylinders from here -

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=6

Much cheaper than your LBS.

Nice one Joe, just bought a supply thanks to your recommendation.

My inflator can keep the remaining gas in the cylinder, by screwing the cylinder in tight.

Chrisz

Über Member
I used to use the CO2 canisters but found them too heavy when compared to a mini pump. I only carry the pump now - it's small enough to fit in a jersey pocket and doesn't weigh a great deal at all.

robgul

Legendary Member
Just a heads up - CO2 is great BUT is only a quick fix ... the gas degenerates and the tyre will soften to be un-rideable in a couple of days. It's just science!

So - just use when in a hurry, it's dark, it's raining ... or all three

Rob

PS - And yes, they are one shot - but are designed for an average tube at high-ish pressure.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Chrisz said:
I used to use the CO2 canisters but found them too heavy when compared to a mini pump. I only carry the pump now - it's small enough to fit in a jersey pocket and doesn't weigh a great deal at all.

3 x CO2 equals 180g. 1 x Topeak road morph is 240g.

Top Bottom