CO2 Inflators?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, I'm thinking about getting one of those CO2 inflator thingies, but having a look round the web I am now slightly confused...there appear to be threaded and non-threaded cartridges, inflators that can take both or only one, different sizes of cartridges etc...

Can anybody tell me what I need please? And how much I need to spend for a decent one that is reasonably smallish and lightweight?

Thanks! :angry:

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Forget the CO2 inflator and get yourself a decent pump

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
But I'm a weakly girly and with my current mini pump I have a lame arm before the tyre is even rideable!!! :angry:

Just fancied the idea of a quick psssssssss and a nicely inflated tyre in seconds...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
They work and I wouldn't be without one. I carry a mini pump as well for emergencies, but who wants the hassle of struggling with a hand pump when you are freezing cold and wet?

Some pumps will take both threaded and non threaded cartridges and you can also get combined pumps which can be used conventionally as well as with Co2. I would recommend going for 16gm cartridges as opposed to 12.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
punkypossum said:
But I'm a weakly girly and with my current mini pump I have a lame arm before the tyre is even rideable!!! xx(

Just fancied the idea of a quick psssssssss and a nicely inflated tyre in seconds...
The thing is you probably need a pump for backup anyway.

A mate of mine decided to go the CO2 route and on his first ride he promptly got front and rear punctures going over broken glass. He inflated his replacement front tube with one cyclinder, then tried doing the same for the rear but he had pinched the tube and it exploded. That was his two spare tubes used up and his two CO2 cylinders. I had to give him one of my spare tubes and lend him my pump.

I can understand your difficulty with the pump because I can find it difficult and I'm a big strong(ish) bloke. I'd recommend something like the Topeak Turbo Morph. It's bigger than your typical mini-pump but it is much easier to use. It's like a mini track pump.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'll second the advice about getting a pump. co2 is maybe useful for races, tts etc where the weight (and aerodynamics) of a pump may be an issue, but for most other kinds of riding, a decent frame pump is worth carrying.

fwiw i rarely puncture as i keep the pressure topped up with a track pump. when i start getting punctures, it usually a sign that the tyres are on their way out.

Danny

Legendary Member
punkypossum said:
But I'm a weakly girly and with my current mini pump I have a lame arm before the tyre is even rideable!!! :tongue:
I'd avoid mini pumps. I used to have one and it took forever to inflate my tyres and killed my arm and hand in the process. I eventually gave up on mini pumps in disgust when the damn thing snapped in half when I was dealing with the second puncture of the day on a long ride.

Cathryn is a great advocate of the Cyclaire so you could try that.

Mr Pig

Thank you for the link Simon.

I use a mini-pump and don't have any problem with it. It doesn't go to the same pressure as a bigger pump but it does the job and isn't too big.

This track pump is kinda half way. It's portable but easier to use than a mini-pump etc. I thinks it's too big, must be twice the weight of a mini-pump. I'd rather carry less weight and make do but if you want a decent pump that you can carry with you just let me know. Personally, I'd stick with a good mini-pump.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The mini trackstand pumps are, as Simon says, much easier to use. Don't forget also those cycleaire things which have got good reviews. Apparently you just pull a string, which must be easier. They might weigh a bit though.

stephec

Legendary Member
You can't beat having a good pump. ;)

I've got a largish sized mini pump which is good for about 100psi, but on Sunday I used my co2 inflator for the first time, and I'll be using it again should I ever need to.

When you put the new tube into the tyre though it needs to be slightly inflated to get it to fit easier, this can't really be done too easily with co2, so you'll still need a pump to get the tube and tyre seated correctly. Then it's press the button, and hey presto you have a fully inflated tyre and off you go.

One thing I read about co2 though was that it somehow didn't stay inflated and that a few days later I'd find my tyre flat when the co2 had died. It did stay up ok but just to be on the safe side I gave it a good seeing to with a track pump.

Mr Pig

mickle said:
Cartridges never did seem particularly eco friendly to me.

I've never the need for anything more than a small hand pump. Light enough, does the job and you're never going to run out of air! Ok, it might take 'slightly' longer to blow the tyre up but come on, it's not exactly life or death is it? And weigh the time you save pumping up the tyre with CO2 carts against the time you waste going to the shop to buy new ones! I think the whole thing is rediculous.

Nick1979

The Topeak Mini Morph has excellent reviews here and everywhere, I'm thinking of ordering one. It is quite light (240g), and has a flexible hose to avoid ripping the valve and this way you can use it against the ground, making pumping a lot easier.
From what I've read, it takes a bit more time to inflate a tyre than the average minipump but strokes are much easier and you can reach high pressure (>100-120psi) even if you're a girl or a not-so-strong guy like me :-)

More info here: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=15550

Top Bottom