CO2 Inflators?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I carry one of these AS WELL AS a decent mini pump for any journey on my road bike. Its a convenience thing, especially when you're tired/its raining/you're cramping/out with friends and are keeping them waiting. The arguments are all here. If I'm out on anything else, a decent mini-pump will get enough air in.

As for the environmental bit, the cylinders are steel so you can stick them in the recycling in the vague hope that they'll not become Chinese landfill.

Something that I've found for tyres inflated with CO2 is that they will go down over a period of days. If I've used a cartridge, I usually deflate the tyre at home and re-inflate it with a lovely big track pump.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I bought a CO2 inflator a few months ago whilst I was waiting for my Road Morph Turbo G to arrive. Now it's in my saddle-bag just in case I need to get the tyre up quickly (like in the middle of a heavy downpour).

It did come in handy the other week after my 'junkies encounter' whilst fixing a flat. I'd only got about 60psi in using the Road Morph when I had to make a sharp exit, so I got around the corner and used the CO2 inflator to get the tyre up to pressure in seconds so I could be on my way again quickly.

As others have said, a good pump is a must but it doesn't always hurt to have another option in addition when you're out and about.

byegad

Legendary Member
Buy one that takes unthreaded bottles as it will take threaded as well. They are the same size and the thread does not get in the way.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
If you can't afford a the CO2 cartridges, sneak over to your local badgers' sett when they're all out, creep in, and steal the gubbins from their Sodastream. They just happen to be exactly the same size.
You can't get away with shoddy advice like that in the Tech Section, Mr Paul! Everyone knows it's penguins, not badgers!

I've had a two Topeak Mini-Morphs with stands and pressure guages. Both the stands have broken - this isn't a criticism, because I've never been too patient when it comes to inflating tyres after a puncture, but, at thirty odd quid a go, they should be looked after.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Nick1979 said:
Difference between the road morph, mini morph and mini morph turbo: http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=334132&postcount=8
Simon, I don't think the mini morph has a gauge, has it?

Don't forget the Road Morph Turbo G !!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
trio25 said:
I think that being a girl I don't have quite the upper body strength for just a mini-pump.
Don't be so hard on yourself - I'm a big man and I find mini-pumps a bit of a pain too! That's why I suggested the mini-trackpump style. The idea is that you can use your body weight rather than brute strength to operate the pump. Another advantage is that you won't rip the valve out of the tube because a hose is used to attach the pump to it.

trio25

Über Member
I have a mini-trackpump style that I take with me on my mountain bike - but then I have a rucksac with me. But since discovering C02 I always carry it incase. If I was to puncture late at night on my own I think the extra speed is worth it!

Top Bottom