CO2 Inflators.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Hi all,

With a cycling holiday in France on the horizon, I'm looking to buy a CO2 inflator so that I don't have to cart a pump around, and to make sure that if I do get any punctures, I'm back on the bike and riding again as quickly as possible.

Any of you guys able to recommend a decent, minimalist, inflator. Basically looking at the inflator head type of unit and not the bulky pump sized set-up that you put the cartridge in to.

The Genuine Innovations Hammerhead looks pretty good, and £20 isn't extortionate, but there are some Lifeline units on Wiggle which are only around the £7-8 mark. Anyone had any experience with any of these and may be in a position to offer buying advice or product review.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys might be able to have.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Are you touring or just cycling from a base? I have a co2 inflator and whilst great to pump the tyre by the side of the road and gets you home the tyre deflates over a couple of days. I had heard the stories of this but didn't believe it until it happened to me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
For long term touring /holiday i would have thought a pump would be a better option for the above reasons and if you use up your c02 cannisters and cant use anymore ............
I would personally go for something like a topeak road morph .

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Topeak pocket rocket proper pump. The size and weight is negligible, it'll put 100+ psi into a tyre & it stay in there, without you breaking sweat.

If you pack co2 for a couple of punctures you're pretty well making up the weight and space of a decent mini pump that can cope with infinite misfortunes anyhow.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you are touring you are going to need to carry a fair supply of CO2 cartridges, and as others have pointed out they will easily weigh as much and take up as much room - as a good pump (Lezyne for me) carried alongside a bottle cage.

Hyslop

Veteran
The current issue of Bikes etc has an article all about CO2 pumps,relative merits,etc.Personally I have a Topeak,very pleased with it too.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Get one of those two in one inflator and pump. I only carry a co2 inflator but I'm only ever a phone call away from help if I suddenly discharge the cartridge or run out of cartridges. Bit hard to do that in the middle of France.

As said also the co2 is thinner than air so it does seep out so you need to replace with air as soon as you get chance.

bpsmith

Veteran
There must be loads of places to replace the air though surely? France being significantly geared up for cyclists.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi all,

With a cycling holiday in France on the horizon, I'm looking to buy a CO2 inflator so that I don't have to cart a pump around, and to make sure that if I do get any punctures, I'm back on the bike and riding again as quickly as possible.

Any of you guys able to recommend a decent, minimalist, inflator. Basically looking at the inflator head type of unit and not the bulky pump sized set-up that you put the cartridge in to.

The Genuine Innovations Hammerhead looks pretty good, and £20 isn't extortionate, but there are some Lifeline units on Wiggle which are only around the £7-8 mark. Anyone had any experience with any of these and may be in a position to offer buying advice or product review.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys might be able to have.
always take a pump just in case
PDW make an excellent 'head' for about £12 (I think it's called 'shiny object') - IME much better than the GI products

There must be loads of places to replace the air though surely? France being significantly geared up for cyclists.
I believe the French have air too. May have a faint whiff of cheese and garlic. :okay:

+1 for the pump. I use CO2 on the road bike but then I'm only a phone call away from help if needed and I have need it when I got it wrong using it. The inflator head and a supply of cartridges will amount to the same bulk/weight as a pump anyway.

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

We're staying in a village about 15km south of Avignon and doing circular rides each day, so would be able to permanently re-inflate tyres with the track pump if necessary, but I appreciate the argument for taking a mini pump along on rides too. I have a Topeak Peakini mini pump, but it's probably on the bulky side of "mini". Might look around for a smaller one to take. Next thing would be...........anyone able to recommend a mini that can comfortably go to 100-110psi?

Top Bottom