CO2 Mini pump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
For the last 50+ years I've carried a pump on my rides and avoided CO2 inflators but last week after visit from the pun**ure fairy I'm rethinking this.
Higher volume tyres, small pump, it was all a bit of a faff and when my riding partner inflated the repair to high pressure in seconds I decided to invest in one. I'll still carry a pump, belt and braces. He didn't know what make or where his came from.

So, any recommendations? Something to go in a small saddle bag along with levers, a coupe of tubes and gas cartridges.

PS any thoughts on the small battery powered pumps?

Buck

Guru
After a similar incident i bought the Lezyne one with a control valve. (I was advised not to get one without)

edit: this one https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-control-drive-co2-tyre-inflator

Big John

Guru
I carried CO2 for years and if you're riding in a group they're useful - they're quick to fully inflate a tyre and everyone can get back to riding instead of watching someone struggling with a pump. However, I've had a few mishaps over the years and always when I could really do without it. Since Covid appeared our group folded and has never re-formed so I ride on my own these days. If I get a flat then it takes as long as it takes to fit a new tube, no rush. As a result I take a good, old fashioned long handled pump, stored withing the triangle of the frame, and so far it's never let me down. I've never got on with mini pumps and I've had some expensive ones too. I think if you just get a decent branded CO2 inflator you'll be ok but, like you say, to be belt and braces carry a pump of some description.

Sallar55

Veteran
Some say if your on tubeless the gas interaction with the latex sealant is a no no. Tempted to start reusing the cartridges as its a pain to pump up a big tyre like a 2.25 29er. Lost the little Mavic presta to car valve adaptor we use if we pass a garage with a working air hose when back on roads.

I've got a Lezyne mini ish pump attached under my bottle cage on the downtube. It's not mini - it's probably about 20cm or so and it's much more efficient than the true mini pumps. That's the pump that gets used if anyone in my group has a flat.

I do carry a few canisters and the head but the pump is the first call. It's not the pumping that takes the time in my experience. It's usually the finding of the foreign body.

OP
OP
Proto

Proto

Legendary Member
I’ve ordered a Lezyne Control Drive from Chain Reaction. Comes with a gas cartridge. Would have ordered from my preferred supplier, Merlin Cycles, but they are unable to send out by post/courier to UK addresses, collection from store only! :wacko:

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com...Zwn_JCk_ZN2XAqoDcGBoCpE0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

figbat

Slippery scientist
Some say if your on tubeless the gas interaction with the latex sealant is a no no.
I've heard/read the same and have had sealant separate on me (a watery liquid and solids in the tyre) - I may have used CO2 to bang the tyre onto the rim. I'd imagine that the interaction would be quite a slow one, so if you use CO2 on the trail to get home just try to remember to deflate it and reinflate with air when you get home.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I got one without a valve. Means you use a cartridge in one go

a control valve is useful, but more so that you can start the inflation a little slower to ensure its all seats fine. A 25-28mm tyre tube at road pressures takes a full cartridge pretty much anyway.

Gwylan

Veteran
a control valve is useful, but more so that you can start the inflation a little slower to ensure its all seats fine. A 25-28mm tyre tube at road pressures takes a full cartridge pretty much anyway.

Ah! That could explain my lack of success with the CO2 thingie

froze

Über Member
As you know CO2 air cost money to get the carts, and you will have to keep purchasing them as you use them. The other thing is that you will have to carry around several carts in case of multi flats. The other issue is recycling them, but whatever you do, don't throw them on the side of the road like people do around where I live! Finally, one last problem, CO2 bleeds out of the tube rather quickly lasting about 24 hours, so when you get home, you have to deflate the tube and refill it with regular air. Now I don't know about you, but I hate doing things twice, I'll be damned if I'm going to inflate a tire on the road then go home deflate the tire and refill it, thus I refuse to use CO2 and I'm in my upper 60's.

What you really need is a good mini pump, or if you don't mind a larger pump just to make it really easy a frame pump. The best mini pump by far is the Lezyne Road Drive large size, this thing only takes about 115 strokes to get to 80 psi while others will take at least 50 more, and most take more than 100 strokes over the 115, and most pumps can't even get to 80.

Full-size frame pumps, while heavier obviously, they'll work almost as good as a floor pump! I think the only frame pump made now is made by Silca called the Impero Ultimate II, an expensive pump at $140 but built like a tank. Another great pump is the Zefal HPX-3, I could not find this pump on the Zefal website which makes me wonder if they're still making it, but a quick search showed that ModernBike.com had them for just $40. These are fantastic pumps for the price, and virtually unbreakable. Evidently, Topeak is remaking theirs now called the Road MasterBlaster, another fantastic pump for not that much money at around $26. Frame pumps do require that you measure your frame top tube from the head tube to the seat tube and then order the size that will fit there.

So, if your age, and or arthritic hands are having a tough time pumping a mini pump, then look into a frame pump, but personally, I'm against CO2, but that's just me.

Top Bottom