How to clean chain, mini pump advice? And other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milena

Yes, I have about half a dozen now: some are good for my bikes, some will be given to a bike charity ... eventually :whistle:

Aye, but if the OP is short in money, he could not ride in the dark until he can afford the purchase.

What are you waiting for? This is basics to keep you cycling!

How do I clean my chain?

I'm not short on money. I just don't know what light to buy yet.

Waiting for cleaning equipment. Need to clean the rim before I can replace the inner tube. Rim has lube sprayed on it from drivechain since I've rode it after giving it to my lbs for a wash and puncture repair. Tire is covered in mud. But I can wash the tire after. Don't wanna risk washing the tire/inner tube and rim and potentially getting water inside the inner tube through wherever the puncture/s is/are.

Don't wanna handle inner tube with dirty gloves and risk contaminating puncture sites.

Also, how does one mark puncture sites? Surely using a permanent marker, as I saw in a park tools video, is contamination as the patch now has to partially stick to ink?

I have a cannondale old schrader mini pump. Don't know if it's fully working or not. I say fully, because I had a track pump before and it wouldn't pump my tires up despite pushing air out when tested with no tire attached. My lbs tried my pump and said it's not working. So I asked him to throw it away.
I've now discovered that with a presta valve you have to REALLY push down the pump head on to the valve or it's just VERY hard to pump and no air goes in.
The pump head has to be far down the valve. Thanks to the diagram on my Joeblow packing, I discovered this. Spent over an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't pump an inner tube that was in my room, or tire on my bike, till I decided to look at the packaging that I was oh so close to throwing away.

Maybe he just didn't fully put the head on so it looked like it wasn't working while I stood there, so that he hoped I would buy a new one? Idk.

So the mini pump I have, should I just buy a schrader to presta converter? The longish tube type adapters I mean.
Don't have a schrader to test this pump on.
Or should I just buy a new one?
This mini pump has no mount. I plan to perhaps keep a mini pump in a pannier bag anyway. Might keep the frame clear for mounting my bike lock or water bottle holders.

Attachments

• 1701642945451994772134191002214.jpg
    1701642945451994772134191002214.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 10

vickster

Legendary Member
Get a Lezyne mini pump, can do either presta or schrader, come with mount which attaches to bottle cage mounts under the bottle cage. Has a flexible hose, better imo that the types where the pump clamps to the valve (just screws on, but be careful if you have the horrible inner tubes with removable cores such as Continental!)

eg, get large size, the longer the pump the easier to get air in
https://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/...ack_Mini_Pump_/Pumps_-_Minipumps/RS_GB/181719

classic33

Leg End Member
How do I clean my chain?

I'm not short on money. I just don't know what light to buy yet.

Waiting for cleaning equipment. Need to clean the rim before I can replace the inner tube. Rim has lube sprayed on it from drivechain since I've rode it after giving it to my lbs for a wash and puncture repair. Tire is covered in mud. But I can wash the tire after. Don't wanna risk washing the tire/inner tube and rim and potentially getting water inside the inner tube through wherever the puncture/s is/are.

Don't wanna handle inner tube with dirty gloves and risk contaminating puncture sites.

Also, how does one mark puncture sites? Surely using a permanent marker, as I saw in a park tools video, is contamination as the patch now has to partially stick to ink?

I have a cannondale old schrader mini pump. Don't know if it's fully working or not. I say fully, because I had a track pump before and it wouldn't pump my tires up despite pushing air out when tested with no tire attached. My lbs tried my pump and said it's not working. So I asked him to throw it away.
I've now discovered that with a presta valve you have to REALLY push down the pump head on to the valve or it's just VERY hard to pump and no air goes in.
The pump head has to be far down the valve. Thanks to the diagram on my Joeblow packing, I discovered this. Spent over an hour trying to figure out why I couldn't pump an inner tube that was in my room, or tire on my bike, till I decided to look at the packaging that I was oh so close to throwing away.

Maybe he just didn't fully put the head on so it looked like it wasn't working while I stood there, so that he hoped I would buy a new one? Idk.

So the mini pump I have, should I just buy a schrader to presta converter? The longish tube type adapters I mean.
Don't have a schrader to test this pump on.
Or should I just buy a new one?
This mini pump has no mount. I plan to perhaps keep a mini pump in a pannier bag anyway. Might keep the frame clear for mounting my bike lock or water bottle holders.
You've only just bought one.
5th item on your list.
2023-12-02 22_57_08.jpg

Dadam

I've got one of those chain cleaner jobbies. I wasn't intending to buy one, it just came in a big tool set. Having used it once I think they're ok for getting really claggy old chains with caked oil and muck "somewhere near" clean, but they make a right old mess and then need a lot of cleaning themselves! Verdict: they're not worth it. For 99% of chain cleaning, a rag and some lube.

Don't worry about getting muck on the tube. If you're on a ride you just want to get going again asap. At home you can clean it and the inside of the tyre before you fit it. Don't worry about water getting inside the tube. With a pinprick hole like a thorn it will seal enough to stop water leaking in and even a repairable gash is only going to let in a couple of drops and what harm can it do inside a rubber tube? Tubes are cheap. Dunking the tube in water is the easiest way to find the leak anyway.

Puncture kits have a bit of french chalk for both marking the tube and dusting over the patch so the glue doesn't stick to the tyre material. But if you use marker I can't see it being an issue. You can always draw a ring round it larger than the patch.

If you want to get a new mini pump do so, but get a decent brand and do get one with a flexible hose. I was new to presta valves a year ago (in fact I posted a semi-jokey, semi-ranty thread about them), but I've found I have to unscrew them a bit more then it's easier to push the valve head. Basically, if the pump handle doesn't push air in easily, take it off, unscrew the cap a bit more and push the pump head back on. If it's not unscrewed enough the valve won't open far and won't let enough air in.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Mark puncture site with a ball point pen. Any colour. Don't worry about contamination. Mark the extremities of a cross with 4 short lines, the puncture site being at the centre of the cross, the marks should be far enough apart so that they are not removed when the patch area is roughened and cement applied. The marks will guide your application of the patch. Abrade area lightly, apply cement thinly, wait till dry, apply patch. After application dust the area of the patch with talc (french chalk - white cube included in repair outfit, create dust with sandpaper or metal 'grater' in outfit (or use talcum powder if available - you can also dust inside of tyre before fitting/refitting tube). Don't inflate tube outside tyre to 'test' the patch!

OP
OP
M

Milena

Mark puncture site with a ball point pen. Any colour. Don't worry about contamination. Mark the extremities of a cross with 4 short lines, the puncture site being at the centre of the cross, the marks should be far enough apart so that they are not removed when the patch area is roughened and cement applied. The marks will guide your application of the patch. Abrade area lightly, apply cement thinly, wait till dry, apply patch. After application dust the area of the patch with talc (french chalk - white cube included in repair outfit, create dust with sandpaper or metal 'grater' in outfit (or use talcum powder if available - you can also dust inside of tyre before fitting/refitting tube). Don't inflate tube outside tyre to 'test' the patch!

My puncture kit didn't come with chalk. Where can I get one from?

Why not inflate the inner tube after a puncture repair? What about when I get another puncture in the future? I would need to take the inner tube out and inflate to locate puncture site?
Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
To clean the chain - Spray a rag with WD40, GT85 or something similar and wipe the chain. Keep running the chain through the rag until both the chain and rag looks clean.
You can also spray directly on to the chain if it is really dirty and then keep wiping as above.
I never take the chain off the bike to clean.
I once used a chain cleaner, it was rubbish! Mess everywhere.
Remember to be careful if you are spraying lube near disc brakes. To avoid contamination put a carrier bag over the disc and calliper.
Lube the chain.

If you have a puncture and are repairing at home then you can give your muddy tyre/rim a quick wash/wipe, water will NOT get inside the inner tube through the tiny puncture hole, STOP overthinking👍
If you are worried about contaminating the tube then take your dirty oily gloves off when handling the tube, you could put a clean pair on and keep that pair for non oily jobs in the future.

You can mark the puncture spot with a pen, I use a Sharpie type marker pen, you won’t contaminate the tube, glue will stick to ink, STOP overthinking👍.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

My puncture kit didn't come with chalk. Where can I get one from?

Why not inflate the inner tube after a puncture repair? What about when I get another puncture in the future? I would need to take the inner tube out and inflate to locate puncture site?
Thanks

Chalk not essential just stops any possible adhesion to tyre from any (dried) excess rubber solution around patch. Can use Talcum powder - from pound shop? Repair takes time to cure. Fixes really firmly when inflated against inside of tyre, may be stretched and loosened if immediately inflated outside tyre after repair. But will be firmly cured by time of next puncture. (Especially applies to 'glueless' patches.)

OP
OP
M

Milena

Chalk not essential just stops any possible adhesion to tyre from any (dried) excess rubber solution around patch. Can use Talcum powder - from pound shop? Repair takes time to cure. Fixes really firmly when inflated against inside of tyre, may be stretched and loosened if immediately inflated outside tyre after repair. But will be firmly cured by time of next puncture. (Especially applies to 'glueless' patches.)

Glueless patches aren't worth buying right? I've read only vulcanised ones are worth buying?

So chalk should be drawn onto the wet vulcanising liquid to prevent it from sticking to the tire?
I thought it's used to mark where the puncture is?

OP
OP
M

Milena

Bucket, sponge and car shampoo/washing up liquid is all you need to clean the bike. Chain, use an old t-shirt and wipe it, then lube, and wipe some more.

I'd advise watching you-tube.

I've watched tons of YouTube videos. Pretty much all of them use muc off tools and sprays. None only wipe the chain with lube and a rag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231206_005735_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_005735_YouTube.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231206_005740_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_005740_YouTube.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20231206_005750_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20231206_005750_YouTube.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 6

youngoldbloke

Milena - There are lots of 'fix a puncture' videos on line. Maybe take a look at some of them. Read the advice posted - carefully. Then use your time to fix your puncture!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom