High-pressure mini pump recommendations please (Topeak Road Morph now bought :) )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Since the Lezyne item on the Brompton chose to do the honourable things and end its own life recently, I need a replacement.

Probably the most important requirement is the ability to comfortably reach the 110psi max of the B's tyres. The Brompton-branded Lezyne claims to do 160psi, in use I never found it able to reach anywhere near this. It's 12.4mm piston bore suggests that it would require around 130N / 13kg applied force to reach 160psi; which on paper doesn't seem unreasonable although evidently I couldn't achieve it in practice!

On top of that I think I'd like a direct-fit / right-angle head rather than a hose as this was a bit of a pig to use on the Brompton's little wheels. I'd like to avoid plastic as much as possible (at least in stupid applications like the screw-thread for the hose on the Lezyne) and won't entertain the idea of anything else from this brand after this crap experience.

Fitting the existing Brompton frame mount would be a bonus but I appreciate this is probably unrealistic so I'm happy to carry the pump in the bag..

Sharky

Guru
What's wrong with your old pump? I've found if you can unscrew the barrel and apply a little grease to the plunger and inside the barrel, the pressure returns.

As far as pumps go, you need two. One a decent track pump for home use and getting a good pressure and secondly a mini pump which should be considered as a "get you home pump" only.

Good luck

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

What's wrong with your old pump? I've found if you can unscrew the barrel and apply a little grease to the plunger and inside the barrel, the pressure returns.

As far as pumps go, you need two. One a decent track pump for home use and getting a good pressure and secondly a mini pump which should be considered as a "get you home pump" only.

Good luck
It's toast after falling from it's mount and jamming in the rear wheel. While I'd obviously rather this hadn't happened, it was a bit crap anyway so I'm trying to put a positive spin on it and replace it with something better :smile:

I already have a decent track pump, however since I'm having to replace the mini pump anyway I'd prefer something that will actually get the desired pressure into the tyres..

Carry a screw on fitting and a gas charge to blast it.
Thanks for the suggestion, however if you're referring to CO2 I've never liked it on the grounds of cost and waste. If I had an appropriate pressure vessel I could always pre-charge that with air I guess; but this would still only give me a finite number of attempts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Cheers for the suggestions so far...
Thanks - the first looks like decent value; do you know if it's actually capable of the stated pressure?

My experience of Lazyne is evidently differen to yours!

You wont get 110psi from a mini pump IME, nowhere near.
Many claim in excess of that but I think for most in practical terms you're correct.

After a bit of casual Googling the most capable currently looks like this Topeak two stage item; the only thing that puts me off is that fact that it only does Presta while most Brompton tubes are Schrader.. bloody typical!

TRD-2STG_main-3.png

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

Since this thread has generated so much fevered interest...

Because I had far more important things to do yesterday, I stripped the few mini pumps I had around and measured their bore and stroke to calculate pumping loads and displacements. This confirmed the suspicion that with the exception of the dead Brompton Lezyne they're all MTB-facing high-volume low-pressure efforts, so unsuitable for what I need.

Interestingly while the pumps I have are hand-me-downs / freebies acquired throughout my time cycling, they're all still available in some form, along with manufacturers' claimed maximum pressures. Having measured the internal geometry of these pumps I can calculate how much force would be needed to reach the claimed max pressure - suggesting that (quelle surprise) they're mostly pretty bloody optimistic!

Some might find the info below interesting.. most won't :tongue:

Giant Control Mini MTB:
Stated max. pressure: 90psi
Calculated pumping load at max. pressure: 195N
Calculated displacement: 47.5cm^3

Beto Bike & Ball:
Stated max. pressure: 90psi
Calculated pumping load at max. pressure: 176N
Calculated displacement: 30.1cm^3

Beto 360T:
Stated max. pressure: 80psi
Calculated pumping load at max. pressure: 210N
Calculated displacement: 53.2cm^3

Lezyne / Brompton:
Stated max. pressure: 160psi
Calculated pumping load at max. pressure: 133N
Calculated displacement: 15.1cm^3

Having tried a few of these it seems that about 100N pumping force is a comfortable max; suggesting that (at least by this metric) the stated maximum pressures achievable with each pump are unlikely; with the exception to an extent of the Lezyne item. Of course other factors come into play - largely rider strength and the ergonomics of the pump which influence how easy it is to grip and apply load. On top of that as pumping becomes more arduous everything becomes less stable; increasing the chances of the valve becoming damaged or the bike falling over.

It's interesting to note how across the three non-Lezyne pumps the stated max. pressures are about twice what I feel comfortable achieving, so if you're shopping for a pump a good rule of thumb might be to look for something with a stated max pressure twice what you need... although I doubt the method by which max output pressure is derived is consistant across all brands.

I've found a few pumps that may well fit the bill, however irritatingly there's not a whole lot of quantitative information provided about them, so I'm unlikely to really know how suitable they are until I've put my hand in my pocket and committed..

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Cheers for the suggestions so far...

Thanks - the first looks like decent value; do you know if it's actually capable of the stated pressure?

My experience of Lazyne is evidently differen to yours!

Many claim in excess of that but I think for most in practical terms you're correct.

After a bit of casual Googling the most capable currently looks like this Topeak two stage item; the only thing that puts me off is that fact that it only does Presta while most Brompton tubes are Schrader.. bloody typical!

View attachment 717699

I couldn't say but it gets up to rock hard on a 25mm tyre which is pretty hard!

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I couldn't say but it gets up to rock hard on a 25mm tyre which is pretty hard!

Thanks - I guess that's about as good as it's going to get! I did notice that somewhat bizarrely they do another model with a guage for less money; although I suppose this is another point of failure, worst case.

Tbh in the absence of any more info I'm dubious; although I do like the retractable hose and 90 degree head; which seems like the least-worst solution for the Bromton's little wheels..

Last edited:
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

For any of the zero other people in a similar predicament, here are those currently in the running after hours of research:

Topeak Roadie TT (c. £30):
Essentially a two-stage mini pump which allows it to deliver a greater volume at a given, higher pressure than you'd usually manage from something of this size. Confusing more of a proper two-stage pump than Topeak's "Roadie 2stage" item mentioned above, which has switchable volume ratios rather than operating as a series two stage pump in the conventional sense; as this one does.

Pros:
Looks nicely made
Relatively compact and lightweight at 195mm OAL and 100g
Allegedly capable of 160psi

Cons:
Irritating that it only does Presta so unless I change all my tubes I'd need an adaptor
Not sure about fitting the head between the front spokes of the Br*mpton
Not sure how much pressure it will comfortably generate in the real world
Apparently not that amenible to being stripped
Would rather have the pump separated from the valve with a quick-releaes hose to prevent transmission of movement

TRTT-2B_main.png

So far that's really the only true mini-pump that seems to fit the bill.. or at least gets close to looking like it might.

I've now also looked into mini floor pumps, which until this point I'd been aware of but not really to any great depth. Two currently stand out:

Topeak Mini Morph (c. £25)
Not a whole lot bigger than a typical mini pump, but with a small fold-out foot plate, articulated handle and hose with QR head to allow it to be used in the style of a floor pump - thus allowing the operator's weight to be used in the pumping action.

Pros:
Relatively compact and lightweight at 260mm OAL and 154g
Potentially more likely / less exerting to reach necessary pressure versus mini pump due to format
Does both presta and schrader valves
90 degree quick-release attachment with hose isolates valve / bike from exasperated spasms as higher pressures are reached and should fit between spokes with ease
Cheapest of those being considered currently

Cons:
Significant amount of plastic / doesn't look as sturdy as others
Not overly sold on the aesthetic
Format means that tyre needs to be near to ground / bike upright to use

mini-morph_main.png

Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP (c. £45):
Same minimal, collapsable floor pump concept as the Mini-Morph, but apparently with a more "premium" approach.

Pros:
Relatively compact and lightweight at 310mm OAL and 177g
Looks really nicely made
Fits both schrader and presta
Potentially more likely / less exerting to reach necessary pressure versus mini pump, due to format
Hose isolates bike from pumpy-twitching
Seems to be designed to be user-serviceable
Looks fugging gorgeous IMO, and would match the colour scheme of the bike gloriously

Cons:
Largest / heaviest of those currently being considered
Straight, screw on valve interface problematic with small wheels; prone to unscrewing presta valve core upon removal
Less keen on the brand after experiences with Brompton branded pump
Format means that tyre needs to be near to ground / bike upright to use

hpg-y12-zoom4_bdccf722-420d-466a-ba3c-eba02b4d7809.jpg

Not sure where to go currently.. gut suggests trying the Roadie TT first and if it doesn't work relegate it to general non-Brompton duties as the tourer and to a lesser extent the gravel bike still need pressures that would be a stretch for the mini pumps I currently have.

The mini-morph looks like a decent bet but I'm less sold on the material choice or aesthetic.. while I love the look of the Lezyne but am wary of the brand and know the valve setup to be problematic on the B's little wheels; so would need to sort some 90 degree QR interface to avoid issues in this area..

I'm very interested to hear from anyone with any experiences of any of these pumps :smile:

Top Bottom