High-end road bikes : very noisy freewheeling - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Either buy Shimano, or
Start a forum thread for suggestions.
Simples!

I split it right down the middle,
Shimano = Quiet.
Campag style (this includes my Fulcrums)freehubs = noisy

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not going to read the full thread, but have been vaguely watching since it started....

I'm a fan of the Shimano almost silent freehub, but some people would rather have fancy wheels. Obviously, if you needlessly spend a lot of money on your wheels you might want other people to notice, so what better way to announce to the world that you have got expensive wheels than to shout about it to every individual you pass?

I was out cycling in Yorkshire on Sunday. 100 superb miles in tranquil countryside, Manchester to Marsden, Elland, Sowerby Bridge, Oxenhope, Keighley, Colne, towards Heptonstall, out almost to Burnley then back via Todmorden, Smithy Bridge and Milnrow. It was quite stunning, peaceful, remote. A perfect day, but occasionally would encounter the inevitable Sunday cyclist groups of 2, 3 or several people riding their intrusive, noisy bikes sounding like swarms of angry bees.

Why? I'm sure it's the exact same people that have the stupid 'pop corn' rev limiters and noisy exhausts fitted to their cars because they are so insecure that they need the validation of random strangers looking at them?

Quiet, slick gear changes, subtle freehubs, enjoyable atmosphere. That's what it should be about.

Jody

Stubborn git
Why? I'm sure it's the exact same people that have the stupid 'pop corn' rev limiters and noisy exhausts fitted to their cars because they are so insecure that they need the validation of random strangers looking at them?

I'm putting money on the people who drive with popcorn limiters wouldn't be seen dead on a push bike.

DogmaStu

Not going to read the full thread, but have been vaguely watching since it started....

I'm a fan of the Shimano almost silent freehub, but some people would rather have fancy wheels. Obviously, if you needlessly spend a lot of money on your wheels you might want other people to notice, so what better way to announce to the world that you have got expensive wheels than to shout about it to every individual you pass?

I was out cycling in Yorkshire on Sunday. 100 superb miles in tranquil countryside, Manchester to Marsden, Elland, Sowerby Bridge, Oxenhope, Keighley, Colne, towards Heptonstall, out almost to Burnley then back via Todmorden, Smithy Bridge and Milnrow. It was quite stunning, peaceful, remote. A perfect day, but occasionally would encounter the inevitable Sunday cyclist groups of 2, 3 or several people riding their intrusive, noisy bikes sounding like swarms of angry bees.

Quiet, slick gear changes, subtle freehubs, enjoyable atmosphere. That's what it should be about.

It's all good that you prefer a quieter hub but why do you have to think you know better and that others are 'needlessly' spending their money on wheels that they might prefer to your choice? Why do you have to try and belittle others by projecting that they want 'to be noticed'?

It's a bit sad, no? Everyone enjoys their cycling as they want - why are you attacking that and trying to come across as superior? You really aren't.

'Fancy' wheels do roll faster, despite what you may think, so it isn't a 'needless' expense if we want faster rolling wheels. A good quality hub will have more engagement points and this does equate to a higher-pitched noise.

I have Shimano Dura Ace C50 wheels (2023 update) and they are as 'noisy' as my DT Swiss wheels. They aren't silent.

My Zipp and Roval wheels roll slightly faster than my Shimano wheels and the noise from each is different.

I'm all about competition and marginal gains, how to get every second in a sprint (my forte). I'm still winning races in my 50's. I buy expensive bikes not because I want to ride past you and show off my bike but to maximise my capabilities in a race.

Others will buy expensive kit because they like how it rides, looks, handles - even if they don't take advantage of it in competition. So what? How many people who own sports cars track them? It's about buying what you want to achieve a goal or what makes you happy - and you can judge them all you like and project nonsense but that's just a sad reflection on you.

Apologies if I've read you wrong, but this is how your post has come across. :smile:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's all good that you prefer a quieter hub but why do you have to think you know better and that others are 'needlessly' spending their money on wheels that they might prefer to your choice? Why do you have to try and belittle others by projecting that they want 'to be noticed'?
Cyclechat roolz.

If someone goes about cycling in a different way to me they are definitely stupid, and possibly evil. ;)

I've just thought of a challenge. Try to think of one aspect of a bike that is so trivial that hasn't been the subject of judgmental posts about people doing it wrong. My first thought was valve caps, but there have been some bitter debates about that. Spokes and spoke nipples - check. Tyres and tubelessness check big time. Brakes - mega check. Mudguards - check and so on.

Maybe handlebar end plugs.

Top Bottom