High-end road bikes : very noisy freewheeling - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
You get a better reaction from people hearing a freewheel than you do a bell.

But that means you have to stop pedalling! :smile:

DogmaStu

Define 'noisy'? A loud, abrasive sound from too little grease, grinding el-cheapo bearings? Cheap free-hub's with fewer pawls engaging so they 'clang' into the ratchets harder?

As a generalisation but not a rule, higher-end free-hubs are often 'noisier' than cheaper ones because they typically have stronger springs, pawls and ratchets with a great number of engagement points. Faster engagement equals a higher-pitched noise.

What you want is a smooth-sounding albeit high-pitched noise hub; more ratchet points for faster engagement, smooth operation for less friction and drag.

It's also advantageous in Pelotons for the hubs to make a 'loud' higher-pitched noise anyway since it tells the other riders if you are freewheeling or not which affects speed and so you know what the rider in front of you is doing in terms of power on/off.

My wheels:

Zipp 404's are quite noisy but in a nice way, I think.
Hunt 32 UD's with CeramicSpeed wheels are noticeably noisier.
Roval Rapide sound really nice, a very high pitch.
Shimano Dura Ace relatively quiet compared to the others but still 'noisy'.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
6 pages!

I'd noticed that some freewheels made more noise than others, but never thought much of it.

I never realised it was a Thing, that people have strong opinions about.

a.twiddler

Veteran
One of the great pleasures of cycling for me is freewheeling and the relative quietness I have enjoyed over the years while doing it. Some freewheels have been quieter than others but the idea that being loud somehow adds to the pleasure is alien to me. When being overtaken by some sporty cyclist the last thing I'm likely to hear is their freewheel but on recent rides I've become increasingly aware of how noisy hard-ridden bikes can be, with the tyre scrubbing, mechanical whining, whirring and humming sounds being audible from some way away.

This is the opposite of what I would expect. As you get older you are supposed to become less able to detect high frequency sounds. I don't think that decades ago bikes were any quieter. Perhaps I just used to tune the sounds out then. But to add an arms race of raucous freewheels to the mix seems bonkers to me.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I'll assume that working a noisy freewheel "ferociously" is a joke. On the other hand, if you used a bell in the same way, then it explains why you need to get "a better reaction from people"!

I get the best reaction by greeting people in the friendly manner.

Jody

Stubborn git
On the other hand, if you used a bell in the same way, then it explains why you need to get "a better reaction from people"!

It was me stating a better reaction on approach and I ping it once.

A bell to a lot of people will signify impatience and importance and I think they begrudge being pinged out the way.

A freewheel is just an approaching bike slowing down, hence why I think it is better received.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think the really noisy ones use the original freewheel (aka unidirectional clutch) design of two spring-loaded ratchet discs, rather than pawls. It's stronger and usually gives more engagement points than a pawl setup.

gbb

Legendary Member
Always had noisy freehubs, Campag wheels or Fulcrums. Can't say it bothers me. In an experiment once I stripped down and liberally oiled the pawls. It went reasonably quiet...for about one ride then went back to normal.

Top Bottom