High-end road bikes : very noisy freewheeling - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

Excuse my ignorance. A lot (most?) high-end road bikes like some with eg Dt-Swiss wheels, like the ones with the sort of cone shape profile things on the rims, make a hell of a racket when freewheeling.
Are they designed to be like that?

Drago

Legendary Member
My DT Swiss wheels don't clackety click any worse than my other wheels.

Are they designed to be like that?

I'm not sure - but Shimano solved the "problem" of noisy freehubs about 40 years ago. Unless they have a tight patent leash on the solution, you have to assume that manufacturers are choosing to use other designs. Are they better than shimano's in some way? I don't know, I'm very happy with my Shimano hubs (and other quiet ones).

I do have one set of (fairly) noisy modern wheels, and after riding/racing them for several years I can honestly say I'd rather they were quieter!

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

I'm not sure - but Shimano solved the "problem" of noisy freehubs about 40 years ago. Unless they have a tight patent leash on the solution, you have to assume that manufacturers are choosing to use other designs. Are they better than shimano's in some way? I don't know, I'm very happy with my Shimano hubs (and other quiet ones).

I do have one set of (fairly) noisy modern wheels, and after riding/racing them for several years I can honestly say I'd rather they were quieter!

It just seems so weird that if you're buying a bike for like 3k+ , you also get to freewheel making a noise like a 1950s football rattle 😆

My DT Swiss wheels don't clackety click any worse than my other wheels.

So you've only bought noisy wheels? Could we persuade you to try the Quiet Side ... you might like it!

EDIT: of course the other factor is that other design features amplify the noise: carbon frames and deep rims seem to be the main offenders (just based on my unscientific experience - they also amplify the sound of gear-changes). Aero-Disc rear wheels are probably the worst, but I haven't ridden much next to those!

I like the noisy free hubs.

Just out of interest:
- do you like the sound of other peoples'?
- when you're riding on a quiet hub, do/did you like the sound of other peoples'?
- if other noisy components become available, will you want those too?

figbat

Slippery scientist
Noisy freehubs have become something of a status symbol, with owners regaling others in the volume of their hubs. My understanding of the technicalities of it are that higher-end hubs have more pawls and engagement points, which supposedly improves drive take-up and torque throughput. One of my MTBs is a bit loud but my gravel bike and road bike are near-silent.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Just out of interest:
- do you like the sound of other peoples'?
- when you're riding on a quiet hub, do/did you like the sound of other peoples'?
- if other noisy components become available, will you want those too?

TBH other’s peoples hubs have never bothered me. I do like the ticking sounds of all hubs. Some are nicer than others.

What other noisy components are you thinking? Clicking BB’s? I don’t like clicking BB’s.

When I ride on a quiet hub I hear others noisy hubs and wish I was on my noisy hub!

Top Bottom