shifter recommendations please for 3x8 setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil-b

Über Member
I bought an older bike that has 3x8 shimano gears. the shifters where the combined brake and shifter type for mechanical disc brakes. I have a set of hydraulic brakes that will are a straight swap but means I need to buy new shifters.

can I get recommendations please for some high quality shifters

vickster

Legendary Member
Roadbike With dropped bars?
Don’t think there are any triple hydraulic road brifters only double (a Tiagra/105/Ultegra). So you’ll likely need a whole new groupset bar the calipers (brifters, both mechs, chain, cassette, cranks)
What are the brake callipers?

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
shifter.jpg

it currently has this type of shifter brake combined unit. when I put on the new brakes I need to get some different shifters that are separate from the brakes

What model derailleur mechanics do you have on the bike?

There are several 8 speed Shimano shifters, some compatible with road bike mechs and others with MTB mechs.

It is not worth putting the highest quality shifters on if you have average mechs. Generally Alivio or Deore would be a good replacement for the ones in your picture (which are very basic and reliable but not highest quality), XT might be overkill

Last edited:
OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
What model derailleur mechanics do you have on the bike?

There are several 8 speed Shimano shifters, some compatible with road bike mechs and others with MTB mechs.

It is not worth putting the highest quality shifters on if you have average mechs. Generally Alivio or Deore would be a good replacement for the ones in your picture (which are very basic and reliable but not highest quality), XT might be overkill

rear derailleur Shimano Deore
front Shimano M191

bike is a trek 7.3fx from about 2012. As it is a hybrid it could be MTB or road gears the front crank is a Shimano M361, 48/38/28. Am I correct in thinking that is road gears

Last edited:
rear derailleur Shimano Deore
front Shimano M191

bike is a trek 7.3fx from about 2012

Then Deore or Alivio shifters will be fine.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will need to be 3x8, so you might have issues with non combined shifters at the lower end where 8 speed is still new (usually brake and shifter) Look on ebay for vintage/old skool Deore and above.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might also consider going to 9 speed which you should be able to do quite easily on your existing hub. I'm assuming a cassette. You could also use 10/11 speed but involves more expense. This would allow you to use more up to date shifters.

OP
OP
phil-b

phil-b

Über Member
You might also consider going to 9 speed which you should be able to do quite easily on your existing hub. I'm assuming a cassette. You could also use 10/11 speed but involves more expense. This would allow you to use more up to date shifters.

I did consider this . The current crank has a pedal that is rusted in so changing the drive train might be a good way to go but the current one has very little wear apart from that.

Top Bottom