How to clean chain, mini pump advice? And other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Milena

Yes they are worth buying. If applied correctly they are just as good and last just as longs as normal patches and glue but without the faff.

Oh. I read and was told that vuclanised patches are much better, that glueless don't last and come off.

What exact glueless ones are good? Because I don't wanna be repairing a puncture in the freezing cold with not glueless, ideally, because you have wait 5 minutes for it to set then apply the patch, and it's more messy potentially and fiddly. Especially in this freezing cold weather.

I use GT85 sprayed onto the chain down low on the chainset - give it a few revolutions and through a cloth to get rid of excess.
Doesn't pick up much crud but does wash off in rain so you need to do it again - which is a bonus.
Don't add heavy oil and just leave on as then it picks up so much dirt.

Obviously do a chain clean if you;re out in cruddy conditions or theres salt around.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh. I read and was told that vuclanised patches are much better, that glueless don't last and come off.

What exact glueless ones are good? Because I don't wanna be repairing a puncture in the freezing cold with not glueless, ideally, because you have wait 5 minutes for it to set then apply the patch, and it's more messy potentially and fiddly. Especially in this freezing cold weather.

Glueless does last and doesn't 'come off' as you put it.
As I said, applied correctly they are just as good as normal patches and glue.
Park Tools Patches are my go to.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

If you are referring to fixing a puncture when out on the road - don't. Having found the cause, and removed it from the tyre (this is VERY IMPORTANT). simply fit a new tube. Repair the punctured tube at home. I always carry 2 spare tubes (and a puncture kit as 3 punctures on a ride are very rare but not unheard of).

alicat

Legendary Member
I read it. You wrote 'rubber solution'. I assume you meant the liquid glue?
I think you're directing your question to the wrong person.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I read it. You wrote 'rubber solution'. I assume you meant the liquid glue?

It’s rubber in solution. The solvent evaporates leaving the tacky rubber behind which chemically reacts with rubber in tyre and patch to form an airtight seal. You are not applying glue even if colloquially called as such by some.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Because they want you to buy a load of shoot. Wipe chain, drop a blob of oil on each link, spin chain, wipe and wipe again. That's the best way to look after a chain.

Called Steve from the Canterbury bike project. He cleans his chain off the bike in d ultrasonic cleaner that cost him £400.

Also I very much doubt that a crap ton of rags + lube is going to clean the chain and remove grit etc.

How do I clean my chain?

I started using drip wax a few years back and after a degreasing or two (I just use foaming degreaser) subsequent cleaning sessions are mostly just a quick wipe with a cloth before adding more drip wax (in summer you'll get away with a very soft wipe and no relube); every few months I'll use the foaming degreaser again, and things are lasting a lot longer 👍

Glueless patches aren't worth buying right? I've read only vulcanised ones are worth buying?

So chalk should be drawn onto the wet vulcanising liquid to prevent it from sticking to the tire?
I thought it's used to mark where the puncture is?

I'll only buy the glueless patches these days (Park GP2 patches). They are so easy and fast when you do use one. They can sometimes fail slowly a few high mileage months later but I'd still repatch with another glueless patch as its a lot less hassle than a butyl ones and because the kit is a tiny box its always in the wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom