How to clean chain, mini pump advice? And other

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Chains are consumable, they wear out like brake pads. It’s not worth agonising about. Wipe it, lube it, wipe it. When it’s worn out, replace it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Called Steve from the Canterbury bike project. He cleans his chain off the bike in d ultrasonic cleaner that cost him £400.

Also I very much doubt that a crap ton of rags + lube is going to clean the chain and remove grit etc.

Sucker - wiping a chain down works very well indeed. I very rarely pop the chain in degreaser and clean with a brush - but that's on my MTB when it's been through a day's serious mud plugging. the commuter just get's a good wipe with an oily rag.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'll only buy the glueless patches these days (Park GP2 patches). They are so easy and fast when you do use one. They can sometimes fail slowly a few high mileage months later but I'd still repatch with another glueless patch as its a lot less hassle than a butyl ones and because the kit is a tiny box its always in the wallet.

I even fixed a brand new air bed that got a puncture on first use with park patches.

OP
OP
M

Milena

@Milena what is the point in asking how to clean chains then questioning and ignoring everyone’s advise!

Because that's the ONE method that I've come across that I think is utterly absurd. There's MANY methods. I didn't except the only answers to be the only one I think is utterly absurd.

OP
OP
M

Milena

Sucker - wiping a chain down works very well indeed. I very rarely pop the chain in degreaser and clean with a brush - but that's on my MTB when it's been through a day's serious mud plugging. the commuter just get's a good wipe with an oily rag.

Let's say that really works. What about the chainring and cassette? How are you cleaning those?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom