CO2 or Man power pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marvolus

Hi guys,

Can anyone advise what would be better CO2 or manual pump? I found a place where I can get canisters for roughly 50p per CO2 can.

What do you think. Thanks in advance.:rolleyes:

Renard

CO2 is the dogs! Specially if you can get it a 50p a pop!

Think about it next time you are struggling with a manual pump in the freezing rain.

Bigtwin

Bailed out a CO2 user just this week with my manual pump.

Unless you're racing unsupported, what on earth is the point of CO2 over a decent pump, which £20 will secure you?

longers said:
With a proper pump as back up ;) In case you have one more puncture than canisters.

Section 45 (i) of the P*nct*re Fairy Manual refers to this

You must ensure that the number of p*nct*res is one greater than the number of:
  • Inflation Cannisters
  • Spare inner tubes
  • Patches

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
The advantage of CO2 is that you can easily get 100psi, which can be very difficult with many mini pumps. The best mini pumps are the one which are like mini track pumps (i.e. something like this). The disadvantage of CO2 is that it leeks out of of your tubes faster that N (which forms 70% of air), if you leave your tyres long enough they will go flat. So it is a good idea to have a track pump at home and keep you tyres well topped up...

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Manual for me. It gets me up to 80psi, which will get me home. Then its trackpump back to 140.

I keep thinking about getting a combi CO2 / manual job, but I reckon there are already enough cr@p manuals out there, without adding a design compromised CO2 unit.

Only thing worrying me is my next big ride is enormous, and I wouldn't want to tackle it underinflated. I can't take a trackpump along, and there's no way I'm hitting 140 on a manual.

120 maybe... but that's a cyclaire.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Manual for me, but that's a proper manual pump that will get me up to full pressure. Either a traditional frame fit pump (Zefal HPx, Topeak Road Master Blaster) or a middle size clip-on pump like a Topeak Road Morph.
Pretty much any pump that's "mini" or will fit into a small pouch won't be capable of enough pressure to allow you to continue a ride at normal speed.

If you don't want to sully your frame with an attached pump, you are probably best off with CO2 plus a small mini pump to allow you to limp home if you get more punctures than CO2 cylinders. You can also use the mini pump to help locate the puncture and make it easier to find the offending object in the tyre.
Note that inner tubes are fairly porous to CO2, and your tyre will go soft over a day or two. Always remember to let your tyre down and pump it up with a track pump after you get home.

arallsopp:
How about fatter tyres instead of 140psi? 25c are fine at 100-110, and with the lack of smoothness of British roads will very likely be faster.

Llama

Veteran
manual for me to! - its not that much hassle to use a manual pump decathlon, ebc and topeak do a fold up track pump to get to 100psi+

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Having bought three CO2 pumps and lost each one of them off the back of my little puncture pack I can say that CO2 is far superior. When a car runs over your pump it's just sad. When a car runs over a CO2 pump it is fantastic! There is a big bang. And lots of bits flying around.

OP
OP
M

marvolus

Brilliant feedback guys really appreciate it! I most likely go with a pump at home and CO2 in my pouch!

Thanks!

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
andrew_s said:
arallsopp:
How about fatter tyres instead of 140psi? 25c are fine at 100-110, and with the lack of smoothness of British roads will very likely be faster.

Hmmm.. Might have a squizz around for some 24" versions. At the mo, I have 3 fairly new Duranos (actually, one's a Stelvio) but at about £150 the lot, its a pain to switch until they're dead.

Top Bottom