1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CO2 pumps.

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Paulus, 15 Jul 2007.

1. Paulus

Paulus Guru

Has anyone any remarks to make about CO2 pumps. I am thinking of buying some threaded 16g cartridges and a pump. Are they worth it, or is a good framepump just as good?

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I carry a Co2 pump and a mini pump. Both fit in the saddle pack, a 16 gram cartridge is enough to get over 100psi into a road tyre in seconds and the mini is an emergency backup, even though I also carry two spare cartridges.

Frame pumps are good, but harder to fit on compact frames and need to be fitted under the top tube if you use two bottle cages, where they are gauranteed to scratch the frame and rattle like buggery.

Dirk likes this.
  3. Monty Dog

Monty Dog New Member

For dependability you'll need a frame-fit pump. I've seen people blow two cartridges of gas and still have a flat tyre! I carry gas for emergency situations in races, but carry a frame-fit pump most of the time.

4. longers

longers Veteran

I got one a few weeks ago to take on my little tour. I knew I couldn't get req pressure with my minipump if I had one at the back and with full panniers I didn't fancy getting snakebite every 5 miles.

It was great. Only had to use it once but it now goes everywhere with me.

5. derosa

derosa New Member

Hey Joe!
    I'm a roadie looking to buy a Co2 jobbie - which model Co2 inflator have you got?

6. Smokin Joe

I've got no idea, it is unbranded and cost about a tenner in my LBS, but when I needed it it did the business.

For cracking deals on inflators and cartridges, go here -

http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/shop/

7. Sore Thumb

Sore Thumb Veteran

I have a small lightweight co2 connector and cannister. I also carry a small specialized pump aswell.

The only time I use the CO2 is when time is an issue, such as on my way to work to change over an innertube due to a puncture. Being late is not an option....

I use this one http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bikeprods.aspx?prodid=1000

8. derosa

derosa New Member

Ta!
    If it performs OK on road bike tyres it'll do for me.

9. Paulus

Paulus Guru

Cheers for the replies guys.

10. fuzzy29

fuzzy29 New Member

I have used a C02 inflator for a couple of years. On the few occasions I have had to use it, it has worked fine. Just remember to re-inflate your tyres with normal air when you get home as the C02 will go flat.

11. mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves Veteran

I have a pump that stores a CO2 cartridge inside. Best of both worlds.

12. Hacienda71

Hacienda71 Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

That is some thread resurrection!

Ajax Bay likes this.
  13. mrandmrspoves

mrandmrspoves Veteran

Yes......why let a good thread die and after all it's almost Easter!

14. Smokin Joe

Co2 technology has come on leaps and bounds since 2007.

15. Tom B

Tom B Senior Member

I think there is a place in the market for a H shaped bit of plastic that would sit under a bottle holder and hold a spare co2 can on one side and a co2 bottle with inflator on the other side.