Coach me onto a 400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
You did the 300 in 16 hours. If you repeated that on a 400, you could have 4 hours sleep, then spend 7 hours doing the last 100km. So do not beliebe you cannot sleep on a 400. It is just that most of us choose not to. Usually as when we get sleepy we are less than 100km from the finish and choose to keep riding.

In terms of extra gear, arm and leg warmers, plus a lightweight gilet for night time. Throw in a head torch in case of mechanicals when dark. You do not need any extra above that. If sleepy then church lynch gates or porches, barns, outbuildings, bus shelters, forest floors, fields will do the job. 24 hour services as well if near enough route.

Valuable. Thank you. I think I’ll be up for a DIY 400 before the summer is out.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I admit to being surprised at how quickly I finished my Back to the Smoke 400, starting at noon. I was expecting a slow-down for several hours around dawn, but 20mins snooze on a bench sorted any tiredness. A good night's sleep and a lie-in beforehand must have helped.

Perfect. I’m not a great sleeper and I get huge benefits from these little cat naps. I don’t tend to feel groggy afterwards so this could be all I need.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Motivation needed to up my game a bit. I seem to have stalled on my badge collecting. This year I’ll shoot for a RRTY, 400, maybe a 600 and possibly some others. But we shall see. I believe @Ian H has some special trophies to aim for in years to come :notworthy: Popped into the local Proper Job and picked up some frames to put my collection in. The 3 Grimpeur medals (top right bronze, silver and gold) are my favourite. Here’s a first draft:

C1D12BDB-038A-4D32-8555-FF2FF499233E.jpeg

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Motivation needed to up my game a bit. I seem to have stalled on my badge collecting. This year I’ll shoot for a RRTY, 400, maybe a 600 and possibly some others. But we shall see. I believe @Ian H has some special trophies to aim for in years to come :notworthy: Popped into the local Proper Job and picked up some frames to put my collection in. The 3 Grimpeur medals (top right bronze, silver and gold) are my favourite. Here’s a first draft:

View attachment 452760

Wish I was that motivated to put my badges in frames....

Bravo @Heltor Chasca

Is the Avalon 400 running this year ?

Great way to conquer a 400.....

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is the Avalon 400 running this year ?
Certainly is, and Jamie would no doubt welcome any and all entries.
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-401/
It's one of the last (2) PBP 400 qualifiers, mind.
This is one of two Exeter Wheelers 400s (the other is 'Back to the Smoke' the previous weekend).
"407km cycling event starting from Clayhidon, near Taunton. Controls at Tiverton, Minehead, Bridgwater, Frome, Chepstow, Wotton Under Edge and Frome.
"Ride the Exe Valley and A39 by night, see the dawn in Somerset, use the Bath tunnels and the Bristol-Bath cyclepath, cross the Severn Bridge and return south
"Event start/finish is at a great pub with free camping in a field. The Minehead control in the middle of the night has coffee. Food at the finish is included. Seeing the actual sunrise at Glastonbury depends on moving speed and weather conditions."

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
@Heltor Chasca
You looked at the Paddington Express 400? Doubt you could get an easier 400k that starts in the SW.
https://audax.uk/event-details?eventId=7400

I have indeed. That’s been sitting on my AUK calendar for ages. Have a look at the sister event, ‘The Steam Express’. Good looking events.

I have done two sets of back to back 200s as a litmus. One easy and one tough. I think I have what it takes. I’m hoping to squeeze in a 300 beforehand too.

Last edited:

fossala

Guru
I have indeed. That’s been sitting on my AUK calendar for ages. Have a look at the sister event, ‘The Steam Express’. Good looking events.

I have done two sets of back to back 200s as a litmus. One easy and be tough. I think I have what it takes. I’m hoping to squeeze in a 300 beforehand too.
I'm booked into both. The 400k should be easy after doing Bill's Easton's Connection 300k 4 weeks earlier.

OP
OP
Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I'm booked into both. The 400k should be easy after doing Bill's Easton's Connection 300k 4 weeks earlier.

Yes, that Bill’s Easton Connection is in my calendar too and I have given it some serious thought. The elevation is eye watering, but it has a lot of ground in my home territory so I hope that helps me psychologically.

fossala

Guru
Yes, that Bill’s Easton Connection is in my calendar too and I have given it some serious thought. The elevation is eye watering, but it has a lot of ground in my home territory so I hope that helps me psychologically.
I'm tackling it on my fixed. I figure if I can push myself through Bill's Easton Connection, the 400 should be easy. Then with only one ride left for my Fixed SR my motivation to complete the 600 will be high. That's the plan anyway... :hyper:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I know the Easter Arrow ride is not a PBP qualifier but it is BRM. If the team achieves more than 400, can it be used by an individual in that team as the 400 in an AUK SR?

Yes for AUK SR if min distance is 400 or more. Not so sure about it qualifying for a ACP SR though, I suspect not. I always treat the Easter Arrow as the team event it is, and do a seperate 400 later in the year.

Top Bottom