Coaching a friend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

haye13

I have been into cycling for a few year now and recently my has been starting to go out onto his bike and started to catch the "cycling bug" and has asked me to give him abit of "coaching".

obviously I'm going to teach him about the n+1 rule but do you think this is a good idea?

Has anyone helped there friend before?

Any tips?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
As long as you are happy that you are teaching him the right way, :okay:

Kajjal

Guru
Areas to cover

Bike maintenance such as smooth gear shifting, brakes etc.
Bike setup to fit them well
Practice proper hills to get idea of gears and pacing as well as going downhill at speed.

Main thing is enjoy it and go into as many cafes as you can for cake on the way round :smile:

OP
OP
H

haye13

Areas to cover

Bike maintenance such as smooth gear shifting, brakes etc.
Bike setup to fit them well
Practice proper hills to get idea of gears and pacing as well as going downhill at speed.

Main thing is enjoy it and go into as many cafes as you can for cake on the way round :smile:
Cake is always good,, thanks for the tip

screenman

Legendary Member
Stockton Wheelers

Great, just get them involved with the club scene and enjoy it all, which is the best coaching you can do.

Help them set up a small underseat bag, with tube, minitool, tyre levers. Pump attached to frame. Make sure they know how to replace a tube (you can teach them roadside if you wait long enough). Help them with signalling and road position. Take them on rides that just stretch them (ie a little longer or a little hillier than last time). Stay with them, don't pedal away up a hill. Give them lots of opportunities to rest. If they seem to be flagging, enforce a rest (or a cake stop).

When you think they are ready, take them on an iconic distance, so they can feel a sense of achievement, ie London to Brighton (or Paris, if they -and you - are strong enough).

Top Bottom