Coast to Coast (sort of...)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I have half a plan to try a cross country / coast to coast ride either later in May (half term) or over the summer and I aim to do it in one day on single speed. Looking at reviews the standard C2C route (Whitehaven to Newcastle) looks way too much for me on the climbs, especially if I hope to do it in one day.
The current plan to to tackle part of National Cycle Route 72 - start on the weat coast in Silloth and follow the route through Carsile, Haltwhistle, Hexam and on to North Shields. This route is also nicknamed Hadrian Wall route.
Anyone tried it? Anyone tried it on single speed? It seems to miss most of the more challenging climbs, but I can't find any reliable reviews on the types of roads, paths, how much is gravel trails etc...

Suggestions welcome

J

D

Deleted member 23692

From Silloth to Carlisle, the route is flat with just a few gentle low hills on the stretch between Bowness and Carlisle. However the are a couple of places where the route is still closed due to storm damage, that Sustrans probably aren't advertising.

One being 'Rumbling Bridge' just north of Abbeytown - the road here is closed due to a landslip, and isn't going to be fixed any time soon. The only realistic way to get past this is stay on the main B5302 into Abbeytown.

The other is on the off-road approach to Carlisle from the west where the flood ban k on which the route runs was destroyed by floods (known as the Sheepmount.) Even when open this part of the route is an embarrassment and best avoided. Sustrans have signed an ill-conceived alternative along a very narrow footpath without the landowners agreement, so expect this to be removed very soon. Best bet here would be to follow the roads into the city from the ring road.

All the above would be on tarmac or decent surface

From Carlisle, its all on tarmac until a short section before Brampton and then back on the tarmac all the way to the County boundary (and my knowledge ends), just past Gilsland. The only real climb in the Cumbrian part is just past Brampton where a steep hill runs up from Lanercost to Banks.

0lonerider

Veteran
Yes that's the one, it's easily done in a day the last steep but not long hill is when you leave bardon mill then it's down hill into hexham and more or less flat, there's a village every few miles and the people very helpful! I'm sure you will enjoy it

D

Deleted member 23692

Right just so others know, it's not a Sustrans website, but an independently run one. It's woefully out of date and makes no mention of the Storm Desmond (etc) affected Cumbrian sections that have been closed for close on 6 months now.

I also notice a recommendation for a pub that been closed a while too.

D

Deleted member 23692

No idea which bit was updated, but surely this might have been worth a mention...

carlisle_river_eden_flood_damage_jan_2016_04.jpg

That's Hadrian's Cycleway/Hadrian's Wall Nation Trail around Christmas time. It's still not open.

Just saying ;)

Top Bottom