Coast to Coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Ok, not exactly a massive expedition, but you have to start somewhere ;)

Looks like I may be doing the C2C next spring with a few people from work over a 2 day period.

This will be my first "tour" (if it classes as that), but I've done several century sportives, and I'm not too worried about the distance ( although some of the others are slightly less confident ). We are planning to travel light and looking to stop in a decent B&B/Pub/Hotel for the night.

Any advice, recommendations on places to stay or anything else gratefully received.

It might be an idea to state where your overnight stop will be. There are many good B&Bs etc along the route so you need to narrow it down a bit.

Have you looked here:
http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Overnight stop probably somewhere in the Alston area.

I've had a look at that site - I was just after more "personal" tips/warnings etc - but thanks :biggrin:

Having seen the bridges and problems in Cumbria, there may be some considerable detours on this route.

Could be worth having a backup plan or allowing extra time for detours

Flooding closes parts of National Cycle Network in Cumbria

Issued on: Monday 23 November, 2009

Damage caused by heavy rain in the north of England has made parts of the National Cycle network across Cumbria impassable, cyclists and walkers are being warned.

In Cockermouth, Sustrans has advised people to avoid NCN Route 71, the incredibly popular C2C path, due to an unsafe town centre bridge and a collapsed bridge at Low Lorton.

The Workington start of C2C is also closed, with no bridge crossings across the River Derwent expected for at least ten weeks, and there are further closures between Keswick and Bassenthwaite due to a collapsed bridge.

Meanwhile, Hadrian's Cycleway - NCN Route 72 - is also impassable at Workington across the River Derwent.

Nikki Wingfield, Sustrans Area Manager in Cumbria, said; 'The advice we are giving those who are keen to tackle either of these routes in the coming weeks is to start on the east side of Keswick to avoid the closures for the C2C route, and to bypass Workington by train for the Hadrian's Cycleway, starting further up the route at Maryport or Silloth.

'We are in the process of assessing the flooded routes and, once we know the scale of the damage, we can begin the restoration process and make temporary diversions where appropriate.'

For additional information and closure details, email Nikki Wingfield nikki.wingfield@sustrans.org.uk or find out more at the Hadrian's Cycleway and C2C Guide websites.

Further information about Sustrans, including other news releases and detailed online route mapping, is available through our website: www.sustrans.org.uk

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I did the C2C last year & stopped over at the Victoria Inn in Alston. Friendly landlady & good breakfast, but the pub at the bottom of the village (cant remember the name) did great food & real ales :smile:

A tip if you do stop there though, ask for a room at the rear of the pub. I was woken up by a trailer rattling along the cobbles outside before 6am :biggrin:

bonj2

if you're doing west to east then Alston would appear less than half way.
when i did it in august (on road) we stopped at scotch corner travelodge.

jethro10

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
Having seen the bridges and problems in Cumbria, there may be some considerable detours on this route.

Could be worth having a backup plan or allowing extra time for detours

Hi, I live at cockermouth and may have an input.

firstly, start at Whitehaven, workington is a nightmare.
When approaching Cockermouth, go through the town and head out along the normal car road to lorton, it's quiet enough. This way you avoid the missing bridge.

I'm new to biking this year, and am doing the C2C in may, but over 4 leisurley days, taking in the scenery.

bonj2

jethro10 said:
Hi, I live at cockermouth and may have an input.

firstly, start at Whitehaven, workington is a nightmare.
When approaching Cockermouth, go through the town and head out along the normal car road to lorton, it's quiet enough. This way you avoid the missing bridge.

I'm new to biking this year, and am doing the C2C in may, but over 4 leisurley days, taking in the scenery.

Oh, you're going north from whitehaven. ;)
Girl :smile:
can thoroughly recommend the... ahem... other way ;)

Alston is a good choice for a stop. The youth hostel isn't great though, so look for a pub or B&B. The B&Bs get booked up really far in advance, so make sure you have it covered.

Apart from when you reach Newcastle the route is really well signposted so you can't really get lost. I got lost in newcastle/wallsend after mistakenly having a pint at the tyne bar and wobbled into North Shields a bit later than planned!

It's a great first tour and builds your touring confidence. It was my first solo tour and I loved every minute.

Brains

Legendary Member
We did:
Night one in Whithaven
Night two in Keswick
Night three in Allenheads
Night four in Sunderland

Personally I found it a tough route and we were not heavily loaded as B&B'ing
I would suggest that two days would be a real struggle even if very lightly loaded, and frankly not much fun

Ron

c2c

We camped it '04. Took 5 days in mixed weather but enjoyed every minute. We were going to Youth Hostel it but found that it was school trip season! We didnt really do the c2c official route but followed Wainright's path as near as possible on roads. Got off train at St Bees and camped at Buttermere. Next at Watermillock then Low Row,Broughton,and finally Scalby. Best wishes for tour trip.

Top Bottom