Coccyx pain after first bike ride in 2 years

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daniel1

On Thursday last week I went on a 20k bike ride while on holiday, and as soon as it was over, I started having massive pain in the coccyx area when sitting down in certain positions (if I am 'slouched' it's really sore, I feel no pain if I sit more in the 'front' part of my bum), and utter agony every time I stand up (regardless of which position!).

I thought it would improve but it's been several days now and it's still agony every time I stand up and if I sit toward the back of my bum. No improvement.

We had two long haul flights coming home on Sat/Sun so that probably didn't help.

Should I be concerned/going to the doctor, or is there anything I can do to try to help it?

I've ridden bikes plenty before and never had this happen before, but this was a really long cycle for me, and as mentioned in the subject line, my first in a couple of years. I am otherwise fairly fit/active/healthy. I want it sorted asap so I can sit without pain and am getting concerned this is going to be a longer term thing since it's been 4 days and it's not yet gone away, or even improved at all actually!

Thanks!

Sharky

Guru
If the pain hasn't lessened after several days - see the doctor or ring 111 for advice

vickster

Legendary Member
Could see a physio (privately)? I’ve found acupuncture and therapeutic ultrasound v helpful for coccydinia in the past

You can also try gentle stretching, eg knees to chest. As well as the usual heat, anti inflammatories. That’s all a dr will say so soon after it started

4 days is pretty short lived for msk inflammation to go. A few weeks would not be unusual even if mild

If you are having pain in legs and issues with bowel or bladder, see dr ASAP (ie today)

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Contact the medics. I suspect a hard airline seat is as likely to blame as a hire(?) bike saddle but they may be able to tell.

The relevant challenge in building up cycling distance is that your weight should be shared between bum and feet but as your legs tire, they support less weight, so your bum gets more. The same bad effect can be produced by a saddle slightly too high or much too low, which are both more likely on a hire bike.

Good luck!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would think that if I had not cycled for 2 years and then rode on an unfamiliar saddle my arse would hurt too, that is even before a long haul flight home. I would say it sounds totally normal and expected.

It might help if you relieve any pressure on the affected area by sitting on an inflated rubber ring.

I have experienced massive problems with my coccyx and lower back areas many years ago when it and the 4 immediately above vertebrae were dislodged/kicked in by an idiotic and cowardly opponent on the rugger pitch and the rubber ring was the only thing that gave me any relief when seated for months and months and even now some 50 years later I still have to be exceptionally careful about how and on what I sit.

OP
OP
D

Daniel1

Thanks for the responses. Yes - it was a hire bike and very low/small for my height.

No leg or bowel/bladder pains, and nothing on my lower back - just when sitting in certain positions and always when standing up.

I'll try a few days of anti inflammatories and see how it goes.

CXRAndy

Guru
Place folded towel on seat front so rear glutes and coccyx is lifted off chairs. It can take quite a while to get over bruised coccyx

OP
OP
D

Daniel1

Place folded towel on seat front so rear glutes and coccyx is lifted off chairs. It can take quite a while to get over bruised coccyx
So put the towel mostly toward the back of my bum to lift it higher?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the responses. Yes - it was a hire bike and very low/small for my height.

No leg or bowel/bladder pains, and nothing on my lower back - just when sitting in certain positions and always when standing up.

I'll try a few days of anti inflammatories and see how it goes.
Rub some voltaren gel into the area a couple of times a day

OP
OP
D

Daniel1

Thanks. Thought it was getting better but going to the theatre last night on a hard/awful seat was agony for nearly 3 hours! I have finally started the ibuprofen today, 600mg 3 times a day, I'll do it for a week maybe and see how I get on.

vickster

Legendary Member
OP
OP
D

Daniel1

It is, but not for this - I have loads left over from a sinus problem from a while back so figured I would just take them instead of buying more and taking 400mg OTC stuff!

vickster

Legendary Member
It is, but not for this - I have loads left over from a sinus problem from a while back so figured I would just take them instead of buying more and taking 400mg OTC stuff!
Don't take for long without seeing Dr. Go on Tuesday if not better
Try hot water bottle too

Top Bottom