Cock up of the day award goes to ...Me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Needed to change a flat in work today. Michelin Lithion foldings are barstewards to get on/off.discovered no glue in my repair kit and split in tube too big for patching anyway so fitted the spare new tube I have carried for about 1000 miles only to discover the short valve stem won't reach through my deep rim wheel. Luckilly a workmate can give me a lift home.

This could have occurred in some really remote spots recently so its a stroke of luck really ,just didn't feel like one at the time :-).

Ps sliced 2 knuckles by slipping with tyre lever ,they don't call them blade spokes for nothing. Now look like the winner of a pub fight.:-(

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
dont you just love it :laugh:

Must admit I did the same, first puncture got inner tube I had bought in readiness to find the same problem I had to walk the 5 miles home pushing the bike!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Kind of glad this came up because I was going to ask a noob question about it anyway. Obviously if the valve is too short with deep rim wheels you have the problem you encountered, but is there likely to be any problem using longer valves on wheels that don't actually need them? Just thought if you have more than one bike with different rims and one needs longer and the other doesn't it would be handy to buy tubes in bulk to save a bit and be able to use them on all bikes. I presume as long as you are careful in installing the tube and don't unduly bend the valve when you are inflating it should be ok?

fullcycle

As you say at least the puncture fairy was kind and visited you on your commute rather than a rural ride somewhere in the pouring ran and fading light ( speaking from experience:laugh:)

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Kind of glad this came up because I was going to ask a noob question about it anyway. Obviously if the valve is too short with deep rim wheels you have the problem you encountered, but is there likely to be any problem using longer valves on wheels that don't actually need them? Just thought if you have more than one bike with different rims and one needs longer and the other doesn't it would be handy to buy tubes in bulk to save a bit and be able to use them on all bikes. I presume as long as you are careful in installing the tube and don't unduly bend the valve when you are inflating it should be ok?

Apart from it may be a bit more susceptible to damage when pumping the tyre up an over long valve stem wont do any harm.Certainly better than a too short one anyway.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
The biggest problem could be the additional drag a long valve may cause, this could cost you valuable milliseconds and wreck your best strava efforts :thumbsup:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've run tubes with long stems on a bike that didn't need them, no problems. I've done the valve too short thing as well, though I've managed to get the pump on after a bit of wriggling.

Rob500

I've run tubes with long stems on a bike that didn't need them, no problems. I've done the valve too short thing as well, though I've managed to get the pump on after a bit of wriggling.
Me too. I use the long valve type on my Mavic Aksiums and have used a short valve version as well in the past.

doug

Veteran
When I use my deep rims I also carry a spare valve extender, just in case I managed to use up both my long valve tubes and need to borrow a short valve tube from someone.

Belt AND braces ^_^

Top Bottom