Coconut oil recipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coconut oil - culinary or BP - is brilliant for hair and skin. Also for animal's hair esp horses' tails and manes and the tail-ends of cattle.
There's a coconut oil 'product' called Copha in Australia which is often used for baking with, gives a really good texture, flavour and 'finish' to certain things - but in its 'raw' form has a most odd texture. Never seen it over here except in a very expensive AU/NZ/SA expat speciality shop in London

classic33

Leg End Member
Coconut oil - culinary or BP - is brilliant for hair and skin. Also for animal's hair esp horses' tails and manes and the tail-ends of cattle.
There's a coconut oil 'product' called Copha in Australia which is often used for baking with, gives a really good texture, flavour and 'finish' to certain things - but in its 'raw' form has a most odd texture. Never seen it over here except in a very expensive AU/NZ/SA expat speciality shop in London
The UK equivalent!
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui...butters-and-spreads/cookeen-cooking-fat-250gg

Along with Trex.

Got a bottle of coconut cooking oil for my curries, but to be honest I'll stick to regular veg oil. Not as though you can taste it in a spicy curry, so not sure why the recipe called for it. A small carton of coconut milk is added though - gives it a more creamy taste. I limit the amount of oil in all my home cooking, and never add sugar or salt, so hope I'm doing something to appease the health gods.

Traditional coconut oil users for cooking have replaced it with other vegetable oils as coconut oil has a distinct smell no matter what dish is cooked. In recent years it became a health and expensive fad for a while but has since dissipated.

Like others have mentioned it is known for it beauty and skin nourishing values. In parts of Asia, it is used on hair before the shampoo is applied.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
This is the one that i used from Asda:
View attachment 620725
I've used this stuff (or maybe Aldi) equivalent for vegan friendly baking. whatever I made tasted fine, I think a cake and brownies at various times.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I've used this stuff (or maybe Aldi) equivalent for vegan friendly baking. whatever I made tasted fine, I think a cake and brownies at various times.

I have had multipe jars of these (mum bought them when they were reduced to £1 each) and each one i opened had this nasty synthetic smell.

It could have been a bad batch at Asda?? ive got nothing to compare it with as this was my first real encounter with the stuff. in any cases, I still wont be going back to it. the texture and smell were too overpowering.

It made my flapjacks more of a chewy tracker bar with nasty aftertaste like with some protein bars then something that was light, crispy and crumbly with a good amount of crunch.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Just made sweet potato and coconut soup. Use that to soften the onion and sweet potato before adding spices . It tasted absolutely superb :whistle: maybe not the healthiest but there is worse to have !

Top Bottom