Cod liver oil.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have been thinking about trying daily cod liver oil for a year or two now. The main reason is I am experiencing some low level joint discomfort. Mainly my arms (shoulders, wrists and fingers but elbows don't seem to be a problem) and also my knees.
Knees are fine when cycling, walking, running to the pie shop or climbing trees, but if I have to get down on the floor or get back up again it isn't the fluid, effortless action it used to be and if I have been kneeling or sat cross-legged for any length of time then unfolding afterwards is accompanied by various grunts and groans :laugh:
I'll just point out at this point that I am not very old, in fact, I am still the young side of my mid 40s so although not a teenager anymore I am still young, fit and active.
My main problem seems to be periods of immobility. If I cross my legs, doing so isn't a problem but straightening out afterwards has to be done slowly. Likewise, if watching TV and I put my arm out on the back of the sofa or hands on the back of my head, it can be quite painful to move after several minutes in that position.

I suppose I have two questions really,
1, is cod liver oil likely to improve matters with long term use (I am aware that I am probably looking at using for life if it helps)?
2, which is a good cod liver oil to buy? Some preliminary reading suggests quality, taste and composition can vary enormously (and cost too!). Cost is almost irrelevant if it means I will still be setting 1hr cycling records when I am 105 years old but I will happily use the stuff off the shelf in the supermarket if any old cod liver oil will do the job for my joint problem.

Any and all advice welcome.

Skol :hello:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I use capsules from here, but since I am currently sitting here with a sore back, I'm not sure they work. Lol.

https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/fish-.../?SRC=GOFHOM&gclid=CIfUwpPAt9ECFYeVGwodZkoHxw

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
After my chronic fatigue diagnosis, which includes joint/muscle pain a year ago i upped my vitamin intake considerably. Included in this i started taking the Omega oils 3,6 & 9.

I think it has helped reduce the pain and inflammation as there have been times, more than one day at a time in the beginning when i forgot to take them and the pain level increased. I was advised that it would probably take 8 weeks to notice the difference.

Personally i would give it a go for a couple of months. I take the super strength ones from Holland and Barrett.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Personally i would give it a go for a couple of months. I take the super strength ones from Holland and Barrett.
So essentially the highstreet/supermarket variety? I would have thought the affect is more long term than just a couple of months but would be pleased if there was a noticeable change in just two months.
You old codger. :tongue:
But you know that isn't true, even though I might look it!
Take it neat from a bottle not capsules. It tastes grim but you get used to it and it works for me.
We are talking about brandy here aren't we? :laugh:
I like the idea of straight from the bottle as this removes all the unnecessary crap that goes into making the capsule. The only downsides are the lack of convenience. I plan to always take it before food to avoid any of the repeating taste problems and can see it being a bit of a faff measuring out a dose while trying to serve dinner. I am also likely to be tempted to miss it altogether because I won't remember until sat at the table and then won't bother.
Work must be a nightmare for you :whistle:
Nobber! :rolleyes:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Fruits, green veg, beans , fish ( mackerel, sardines, pilchard for oil and Omega3) , meat ( for proteins) should give you all you need to keep your body healthy.
True but sometimes you need a little bit extra

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Fruits, green veg, beans , fish ( mackerel, sardines, pilchard for oil and Omega3) , meat ( for proteins) should give you all you need to keep your body healthy.
Plenty of veg, fruit, beans, pulses and varied diet but probably lacking on the fish side tbh. might eat salmon twice a month and mackerel just once a month.

Yep, exactly.

Cod liver oil is vile. May as well take it in a much more palatable form by eating oily fish. The only difference between the two sources of fish oil is that some fish species store it in their liver (white fish) whereas others store it in their muscle.

To ease the financial pain of buying fish, look for it on yellow sticker & freeze. That's what I do.

Avocadoes are also a good source of essential fatty acids, but do watch out for the calorie content.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Let's not get off the point here. I am where I am and my diet is not going to drastically alter so it is cod liver oil or nothing.

I am looking for experience/advice of where cod liver oil has helped in a situation like mine and also advice on what might be a good 'artificial' source.....

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I go with User46386 on this. The joint problems sound a bit like arthritis but you need to get this checked out properly. Medication can certainly help. You are a bit young perhaps but it can strike at any age.

Top Bottom