Cod liver oil.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:sad: you lot are cheering me up no end, thanks!

I have considered going to the doctors but I feel 99% certain they will just say I am not as young as I used to be. From their point of view I am in perfect health, not overweight, physically active and actually quite flexible/agile. To them someone that cycles over 3000 miles a year, can ride 100 hilly miles in a day, climb scaffold/trees/drainpipes and turn their hand to almost any manual labour task should be an Olympic athlete :laugh:
I am going to try the oil because now my diet has been discussed here I think we have identified an element that is missing from my intake (oily fish) but I will keep a trip to the docs in mind if things don't improve.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hiya Skol :hello:
As you probably know I am about 10 years older than you.
Until my early 40's I never had a problem with joint pain and the like, so maybe in your case a visit to the Doc's is advised.
Anyway at around 50 years of age I was told I had the early onset of arthritis, so I thought I better start taking cod liver oil: the arthritis is getting slowly worse, but who knows what it would be by not taking it?
I did not research it, just went by common knowledge.
As kids we had to take a tablespoon every morning, afaik this is the most effective (and cost effective) way of absorbing the vitamins, bar from actually eating the fish at least 3 times a week, like @gavroche said.
I don't really like fish, as a matter of fact there always are a few tins of some oily fish in my cupboards bought with good intentions, but they usually end up eaten by the cat.
If you suspect arthritis or similar you should get it confirmed: I don't think the doctors can do much (never went back to mine) but it can be controlled through diet and targeted exercises.
Good luck!

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
2 weeks into the daily cod liver oil regime. I don't want to believe it, because I am at heart one of the worlds cynics, but I think there has been some improvement in my physical condition. This may also be due to recovering from a bout of Flu (never had it before, I am not one of those that calls every bad cold the Flu!) so I am bound to feel better than I did when I started this thread.

I am going to buy more capsules to continue the experiment past the 30 day point now that I know there are no obvious side-effect in the short term (nausea, lingering after taste, etc). I reckon a 90 day supply and by the end of that I will have a pretty good idea if this is working for me. I will post back here with further updates if I remember :okay:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
My weapon of choice is the capsules from Holland and Barrett.

DSC_0210.JPG

1000mg. Often on offer where you buy one pot and get the second for a penny.
I get a stiff dull ache in my right elbow if I run out and don't take them for a few days. Once I restock and get on them again, (usually within a week on the few occasions I have run out) the elbow is good again within a couple of days so from my experience it's one of the few supplements that does work.

PenttitheFinn

My weapon of choice is the capsules from Holland and Barrett.

View attachment 334850

1000mg. Often on offer where you buy one pot and get the second for a penny.
I get a stiff dull ache in my right elbow if I run out and don't take them for a few days. Once I restock and get on them again, (usually within a week on the few occasions I have run out) the elbow is good again within a couple of days so from my experience it's one of the few supplements that does work.
I am heading towards 60 and have been taking the same for as long as I can remember, does it do any good? I am not sure but I don't think stopping will help either. As a little experiment I am starting to drink Turmeric milk (reduces inflammation etc) The one thing I do know is that we all have a different metabolism and therefore our absorption of nutrients varies, and changes with age.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
There are no downsides to Fish oils and plenty upsides, not just joints, but mood, and cognitive function, especially ADHD.
It should be given to all schoolchildren, and prisoners having been proven to improve behaviour and learning.
A cheap solution the goverment won't fund.

Grandma did know best.

Wicked!!!! ^_^

Good eh! Love the salty bastards...

Google seems to indicate the portion of white ones I just consumed (I should have counted them) will stop my knees rotting until Friday morning :smile: - brown ones have to be a treat occasionally

Edit - nothing quite like a pickled egg cut in two and liberally garnished with bottled anchovies ^_^

Top Bottom