Codeine addiction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tramadol is better for me bowel wise than codeine. They gave me co codamol while I was In hospital for my leg op and quite a lot of morphing after the op, I needed help from dulcolax after a few days of misery!

byegad

Legendary Member
I don't take both at the same time, I take one or t'other for a day or so, then swap to the other one for before changing back. TBH the Cocodamol seems to help my knee pain more, but prolonged, continuous use is not good in both potential paracetamol build up and codeine addiction. So I take a couple days of Tramadol to break the continual dose of taking 8 30/500 Cocodamol day in day out.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Tramadol is better for me bowel wise than codeine. They gave me co codamol while I was In hospital for my leg op and quite a lot of morphing after the op, I needed help from dulcolax after a few days of misery!
I was on 30/500 Co-codamol for post-op pain a couple of years ago. Five days after the operation I asked for a powerful laxative from the doctor. The misery of visiting an NHS loo at twenty minute intervals for fourteen hours was somewhat greater than the misery of constipation. A uniquely memorable experience that has given me a morbid fear of bowel-loosening potions.

EDIT: Please don't misunderstand. NHS loos are extremely clean. I just wished I could have been sitting on my own throne as I " went through the motions".

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
After the attempted surgery on my leg in an A&E department, I shall be sticking to private hospitals from now on. With an en suite! I was home by the time I needed bowel assistance!

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't take both at the same time, I take one or t'other for a day or so, then swap to the other one for before changing back. TBH the Cocodamol seems to help my knee pain more, but prolonged, continuous use is not good in both potential paracetamol build up and codeine addiction. So I take a couple days of Tramadol to break the continual dose of taking 8 30/500 Cocodamol day in day out.
Cool, your first post read like you take both day in day out. Long term paracetamol use isn't a problem generally as long as stick to the dose and especially the correct dosing intervals. Indeed, tramadol works better with it I believe.

Ref the knee replacement, perhaps discuss with another surgeon. Even if you are reliant on the NHS, you can get them done at a younger age if the joint warrants it :smile:

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
re knee replacement, they do seem to be quite arbitary, 55 is the age I've been told that I'm aiming at for a knee replacement. Their logic is; at present; they average 10 years useful life and you can have 2 before there's nothing left to anchor another one into so you hit 75 before you can no longer walk. No doubt things will change for the better.

quick nod to my OP: Still off the Codeine and my general pain levels, migraines, knackered knee et al are feeling better without them.

Top Bottom