Coffee appreciation thread.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
I know that this thread will make at least one regular poster here apoplectic, but, how come you can never buy a truly decent cup of coffee in this country and why is it rarely if ever piping hot?
I've only ever bought one very good cup of coffee in the UK. it was in a small cafe in Selkirk called 'The Jaggy Thistle'. I stopped here while cycling with two friends on the way to Peebles. They advertised it modestly on their menu as 'the best cup of coffee in the world'.....and it was! I later rang them to pay a compliment and was advised that it was made with Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee: thus started my rather expensive 'habit'.

Peyote

I quite often get good coffee from those little kiosks on railway platforms, although you have to get there really early. After about 7:00 I think they start to bring the low quality stuff out for the commuter rush!

domtyler

Über Member
I usually go with Lavazza at home and Pret when out. True, neither are the best available but I can generally be guaranteed a decent cup of coffee at a reasonable price.

Illy coffee is very good. However a little research on the conditions of coffee plantation workers has led me to the conclusion that Fairtrade coffee tastes best of all.

U

User482

If you're ever in Bristol:"A Fair Cup" is a small stall on St. Augustine's Parade. Truly delicious coffee. Fairtrade & organic too.

domtyler

Über Member
There is a coffee shop in Borough market that I go to every now and again, can't remember what they're called but serve extremely good coffee and you can take the family and sit down a the large table and have bread and jam etc. on Saturday morning which can be very civilised.

SamNichols

User482 said:
If you're ever in Bristol:"A Fair Cup" is a small stall on St. Augustine's Parade. Truly delicious coffee. Fairtrade & organic too.

In Bristol, Exeter and I beieve a couple of other places in the SW is the small chain 'Boston Tea Party', their house coffee is truly excellent, and they make a mean cappucino to boot. I miss that place (the Exeter one).

bonj2

Apparently in italy, it's rude to drink cappuccino in the morning.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Agree about the coffee in caffs...I'm a morning coffee drinker, afternoon tea drinker (doffs cap to LOTT), but you can't get hot coffee anywhere...
Usually use FairTrade stuff in a Bialetti wotsit
stock_bialetti___moka_express___stove_top_espresso_coffee_maker-2056_331.aspx

An Italian friend says "Lavazza, Lavazza, merda in tazza", arhyming way of saying Lavazza is sh!t in a cup, but I like it meself....

As for Cappuccino, bonj, it generally IS a morning thing, with croissants etc in Italyland, and never an after-dinner choice.

SamNichols

There's reasoning for that - the milk content in it is high, which does nothing to aid digestion. It's espresso in the afternoon. I prefer the middle option, the Espresso Macchiato, a small amount of froth to take away some of the bitterness of the espresso, but with a lower milk content. Yum.
I have yet to find anywhere in Manchester that serves a good coffee.

bonj2

SamNichols said:
There's reasoning for that - the milk content in it is high, which does nothing to aid digestion. It's espresso in the afternoon. I prefer the middle option, the Espresso Macchiato, a small amount of froth to take away some of the bitterness of the espresso, but with a lower milk content. Yum.
I have yet to find anywhere in Manchester that serves a good coffee.

must admit that does sound quite nice.

bonj2

rich p said:
Are you sure? I thought you should only drink capuccini in the morning

apparently. tbh it's probably not so much that it's positively rude, just 'not the done thing' in some posh caffs. Like Sam says it derives from not having lots of milk on an empty stomach.

Smeggers

I was chatting to an Italian about their love of coffee the other week...

All sorts of nuances behind it, such as percolators must never ever be washed. Cafes are chosen on their preference for the type of coffee beans they use. Espressos are coffee, cappuccinos are something else entirely. etc etc.

Top Bottom