Coffee machines...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee_M

Guru
To answer the original question I have a de longhi magnifica and its excellent once you've set it to your own preference (i have the water down low and the coffee voulme up high).

Why anyone would want the hassle of using a stove top is beyond me - the difference in taste isn't worth the hassle or the wait compared with pressing a single button first thing in the morning. YOMV

Tin Pot

Guru
Coincidentally I arose this morning to find Id bought beans by mistake and had to hand grind my coffee. Dumped it in the cafetière to produce a very weak coffee.

In fairness my hand grinder is my dads from before he died in 2001 and hasn’t been used since - is there a trick to it, or do you simply need an expensive grinder?

Produces very course grounds.

I’ve also had a Delonghi Magnifica for a number of years which has been excellent.

Mine is the most basic model with the manual steam/frothing option which is not often used as I drink my coffee unpoluted by milk.

I would say that this machine, along with my Kindle are the only two items I own that would be replaced immediately should they ever go wrong.

I think if the op drinks milky coffee, then the machine they linked to earlier would be a better option.

Graham

vickster

Legendary Member
Coincidentally I arose this morning to find Id bought beans by mistake and had to hand grind my coffee. Dumped it in the cafetière to produce a very weak coffee.

In fairness my hand grinder is my dads from before he died in 2001 and hasn’t been used since - is there a trick to it, or do you simply need an expensive grinder?

Produces very course grounds.
Maybe it's knackered?
Doesn't a cafetière need a much finer ground so it can leave all that minging sludge in the bottom?

Nibor

Bewildered
[QUOTE 5094092, member: 45"]I have two coffee machines sitting unused in a cupboard, and have been since I got my Aeropress a couple of years ago. Not found anything to beat it yet.[/QUOTE]
Got and Aeropress for Christmas best coffee I have ever tasted all in for £25

Will Spin

Über Member
Go on, I'll bite before someone else does. Decent Hario grinder (skerton or similar), stovetop by Bialetti, a frother from Hario if you must and a sh*tload of money left over for coffee beans. You'll get much nicer coffee, and will be set up for life with lo-fi gear to last.
This..and use the money saved to go towards a decent set of wheels.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I bought one of these a few weeks ago
71GYiEvRzTL._SL1500_.jpg

less than £200 in the Black Friday deals. We previously had one which had a milk tank but it was a pain to keep it in the fridge when you didn't use all the milk.
The separate frother froths the milk much better and you can get the milk nice & hot. No. 2 daughter likes to use it for hot chocolate.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
ESAM4200 I have this De Longhi and its fine, I would swerve the ones that have a milk container for Latte as all the reviews I read the milk was never hot enough and a faff keeping it clean.

On offer on "Amazon" at £263

Not sure this always works but if you sign up to "Argos" add something to your basket leave it there then delete it, 50% of the time I will get a discount email within 24hours for that product. I got £150 off mine by doing this

stephec

Legendary Member
I bought one of these a few weeks ago
View attachment 388772
less than £200 in the Black Friday deals. We previously had one which had a milk tank but it was a pain to keep it in the fridge when you didn't use all the milk.
The separate frother froths the milk much better and you can get the milk nice & hot. No. 2 daughter likes to use it for hot chocolate.
I've got the older version of this, brilliant for espresso making.

It can take a while to steam enough milk for a large cappuccino though, luckily Mrs Stephec doesn't want one that often.

Mine was £199 from Tesco as they were selling them off over Christmas a few years ago.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Bialetti all the way. The Italians use them and they’re obsessed with decent coffee. You can also buy a tutocreme from the same maker to make cappuccino (I would advise buying thermometer so you know when milk correct temperature for frothing).

I’ve used one if these for years and it will never become redundant as no pod system. Millions of Italians can’t be wrong...(and no, I don’t work for the company!).

Domus

Guru
First item on our new kitchen 7 years ago was a built in coffee machine. We chose Neff appliances all through. It was in the region of £1,000 but has produced over 8000 coffees up to now. Love it

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. To be honest, the less faff it'll be to use as a daily thing will be a priority. Thinking an automatic machine would probably suit us the best.

I'd say the majority of the time it'll be used for milk based coffees but it's quite important for me that it'll be able to make espresso too. Plenty of options here for me to take a look at anyway!

And, yes, it was bloody cold out there this morning!!

OP
OP
huwsparky

huwsparky

Über Member
To update the thread, in the end I went along to Currys and bought the one I initially thought of after considering the options from yourselves.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...~Skimlinks~Editorial Content~78888&awid=78888

I'm pretty impressed, after playing about with the grind settings a bit. So nice having proper coffee at hand. No chance I'll regret this purchase. To top it off Delonghi are offering free pack worth £100 including free service and a few other bits, but that deal ends new year's Eve to anyone who may be interested.

Top Bottom